Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you actually fly 4 weeks before due date?

(19 Posts)
hobbgoblin Thu 04-Jun-09 09:24:26

All I have read says it's not ideal but that airlines may still allow it. Anyone had experience of this?

M78 Thu 04-Jun-09 09:52:52

I am planning on flying when I am 35 wks, I mentioned it to my consultant and he said that, assuming the pregnancy is proceding normally, it's going to be ok. My flight will only be 2 hrs long.

Bucharest Thu 04-Jun-09 09:54:42

Depends on the airline and most will ask you for a doctor's letter really late on. I flew with Lyingair when almost 37 weeks and had the £25 doctor's letter ready, but was quite small and no-one even asked to see it.
Probably just thought I was a lardy.

hobbgoblin Thu 04-Jun-09 10:23:09

Thanks.

It would just be short haul with EasyJet or similar so perhaps I should call them up and ask specifically.

That's interesting Bucharest as I will probably be 37 weeks if I do get away.

pebblebeach Thu 04-Jun-09 12:14:37

If you google easyjet and pregnancy you get this page

"Expectant mothers can be accepted for travel up to 27 weeks (inclusive) without a medical certificate. When travelling between 28 - 35 (inclusive) weeks a medical certificate issued by a doctor or midwife confirming the number of weeks of pregnancy is required confirming that the passenger is fit to fly. The certificate must be dated within 5 days of the outbound travel date. Pregnant passengers cannot be accepted for travel on or after week 36, and therefore all return flights must be completed no later than week 36. Conditions of Carriage Article 8.2."

HTH

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Thu 04-Jun-09 12:58:56

You also need to check that even if you airline allows you, your travel insurance is still valid.

phdlife Thu 04-Jun-09 13:02:46

MustHave - when I was travelling 28wks pg my travel insurance provider said the law was changing so that pg women had to be covered, or it was a form of discrimination. That was in November, the changes were due to come in in December last year. Might be worth the op checking.

Unicornvomit Thu 04-Jun-09 13:03:53

do you still have placenta previa as a complication, hobbgoblin? if so , i would not be going out of the country at 36 weeks regardless

tvfriend Thu 04-Jun-09 13:13:38

Having had 1 baby at 36 weeks who came very quickly and one at 34 weeks I wouldn't be going ANYWHERE near a plane at 36 weeks.
However, if you are allowed to go with Easyjet, they will let you on as a priority (at least they did with me at 28 weeks). I wouldn't go anywahere near RyanAir as I can't imagine they'd give you any sort of help at all.

Bucharest Thu 04-Jun-09 13:16:28

They were surprisingly nice to me actually....it was before the days of the priority boarding scam though...and I just went up to the desk and said, excuse me I'm ever so pregnant, the girl on the check in desk said I should ask you to be let on first with the old bids (liar liar) and she said, of course.....obviously now, it's a wonder they don't charge extra for the fetus.

tvfriend Thu 04-Jun-09 13:19:18

Well, if they do start charging to use the loos they'll make lots of money indirectly from the fetus grin

Bucharest Thu 04-Jun-09 13:43:15

grin

SHARPIEGIRL Wed 02-Sep-09 11:51:33

I flew outbound and return on shorthaul flights (approx 2 hours) within the last week, at 35 weeks pregnant and they were absolutely fine. I had no concerns and carried the appropriate letter from my GP. The only thing I would say is consider the heat at your destination. I flew from 20 degrees (on a good day) in UK to over 30 degrees in barcelona - and the heat at the destination was problematic - given I was working in a Congress Centre without proper air conditioning. The flight was fine - the heat was a challenge!

SHARPIEGIRL Wed 02-Sep-09 11:53:49

PS check your airline. Some stop at Week 28, some at end of week 35 and some stop at end of week 36. I was never asked for the letter from my GP - but glad I had it with me in case they did. Also check your insurance. I was on work trip and had to take special insurance to make sure I was covered up until end of week 36.

missslc Thu 03-Sep-09 19:04:50

Okay- what about flying for 11 hours at 29 weeks....same deal? ANyone done this?
wish i could go sooner....

oranges Thu 03-Sep-09 19:13:11

long haul should be fine at 29 weeks as long as you are not carrying twins, but take a letter from your doctor saying you are fit to fly.

missslc Thu 03-Sep-09 19:16:17

thanks oranges- just gleaning reassurance on her- doc declined giving me a letter as i have not seen her once during preg so have to go to an obs for one.

gingerbunny Thu 03-Sep-09 19:19:41

we had a trip booked last year and then i fell pregnant, i would have been 35 weeks flying out and 36 coming back.
The airline would let me fly out, but not come back!!
There are quite a few who will not let you fly after 36 weeks, you need to check them all individually.

KateMess Thu 03-Sep-09 19:21:35

I've flown all the way through this pg, up to 36 weeks when I had to stop because they wouldn't take me.

Easyjet will definitely ask you for a letter if your return date takes you over 36 weeks. BA never bothered asking, but Easyjet never missed me, at the boarding gate and getting into the plane.

All my flights were shortish haul, under 4 hours, on a longer flight you should check the airline because all they're really worried about is the vast expense of rerouting a plane if you go into labour. 29 weeks should be fine though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now