Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

hayfever and icty eye, i have had enough!

(6 Posts)
mama2leah Wed 03-Jun-09 22:47:47

ARGHHH

its driving my mad, what can i do?
im breastfeeding and pregnant!!!

craftynclothy Wed 03-Jun-09 22:51:01

www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1008&storeId=90&productId= 6801&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=18354&top=&top_category=&fromPage=&hotspot_prefix=ELECTRICALS We have one of these and it really helps.

As for itchy eyes, I have some washable face pads that I dampen with cold water and sit with them on my eyes.

omaoma Wed 03-Jun-09 22:54:54

yup sympathise completely as usually the itchiest girl in the world. luckily my pregnancy coincided with the summer that never was (last year). i'm breastfeeding now tho, and both Jack Newman (bf guru) and GP agree that steroid nose spray and eye drops are fine whilst bf, and that there are some antihistamines also that are ok'd - oldish babycentre.co.uk article here also suggests there would be ok for pregnancy: www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/treathayfeverexpert/

worth a GP apptment and insist that they tell you about every possible option? (don't ask the pharmacist they just say 'you can't take anything'.)

Kingsroadie Thu 04-Jun-09 10:24:09

Just to say I feel your pain! I suffer from pretty bad hayfever (even had it last summer etc) and am 14 weeks. On top of the usual, I wear contacts so the pollen gets stuck behind them which is rather unpleasant. I am using just normal contact lense drops regularly which help a bit but am sneezing and have a permaently itchy throat!

I also loathe nasal sprays (but I suppose if I am suffering that much I just have to use one and stop complaining smile). Might have a word with GP at 16 week check to see if there's anything he can give me/is safe.

This is all compounded by the fact that my husband keeps moaning about his hayfever (having only recently admitted he suffers from it, albeit not very badly) when he can actually take the drugs! Needless to say - v little sympathy from my end... envy

rainbowdays Thu 04-Jun-09 10:39:19

There is nothing that is guarenteed "safe" to take, but there are things that you can take.

There are a number of things to try to relieve the symptoms, vasaline under the nose, if it is the pollen irritating,, my chemist gave me "Luffa Comp.-Heel" a homeopahtic treatment that can be taken in pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Use eye drops (natural tears from chemist) and cold cloth over eyes to relieve eye itchiness.

When I saw the obs/gyne doc, he even told me to continue taking my steriod nasal spray shock!!!!! as he said topical sprays are not going to affect the baby hmm. I had been taking it previously to getting pregnant so he just told me that me suffering and not getting enough sleep etc, was going to not help the baby either. I took my meds thoughout my last pregnancy (I tried to take it as little as I could manage) and my ds is absolutely fine.

So although nothing is considered as "safe", it is within reason to continue suffering or take the small risk that is associated with relieving your symptoms.

mama2leah Thu 04-Jun-09 11:08:08

thank you guys....

i was pregnant last summer too, but this summer is worse!

my eyes are swollen,red, itchy and watery.

*feels sorry for herself*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now