Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sonicaid or Pinard? Which do you prefer?

(12 Posts)
EccentricaGallumbits Wed 03-Jun-09 10:01:55

I'm a student midwife bogged down in an essay and would appreciate a 'real' mother's view.

When you see your midwife which do they use to listen in to the baby's heartbeat?

which do you like her to use? and why?

Any replies greatly appreciated. TIA

mrswee Wed 03-Jun-09 11:51:30

HI

I have only had a doppler (sonicaid) used on me so far. I like it because I can hear the heart beat too which I presume I wouldn't if the midwife was using a pinard.. unless she let me have a go myself?

Beccabump Wed 03-Jun-09 21:31:38

Hi, I too have only ever had a sonicaid used in both my pregnancies. I like it as I can hear it straight away.

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 03-Jun-09 21:33:46

PMSL I saw the thread title and thought it was a babynames thread grin

I had dd with me at the appointment the other day and it was lovely that dd could hear it - don't know what she was using but if that means it was Sonicaid, then that one, definitely!

MrsBonJovi Wed 03-Jun-09 21:34:28

I liked being able to hear the babys heartbeat. I always felt disappointed if I didnt hear it at my appts!

thisisyesterday Wed 03-Jun-09 21:37:06

mine have only ever used sonicaid. am on my 3rd baby and no-one has used a pinard on me.

personally though, i wouldn't be bothered either way I don't think. as long as the midwife was using whatever she was happiest with.
don't like the gel with the sonicaid, i guess you don't have to have that if they're using a pinard

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 04-Jun-09 16:58:26

thanks ladies.

Has anyone had a midwife use a Pinard?

littlelamb Thu 04-Jun-09 17:10:14

Mine used a pinard in labour with ds. SHe was very hands off and only used in a handful of times in between contractions. I hardly noticed it.

MrsBonJovi Thu 04-Jun-09 17:52:12

Mine used a pinard once...thats why I said I felt cheated! She was a very experienced midwife and went on to be the midwife who I was first assigned to in birth clinic, until moved to larger hospital. Think she may have used pinard in labour but really cant remember.

slushy06 Thu 04-Jun-09 19:07:59

I would probably choose sonicaid in pg but think pinard would be better in labor as I would probably panic if baby's heart rate didn't sound right.

scratchet Thu 04-Jun-09 19:13:44

Hi there, i am a midwife and i tend to use a pinard first then a sonicaid so that the mums can hear too. A pinard is supposed to only detect the fh where as a sonicaid sometimes picks up maternal pulse, bowel sounds, placenta etc. x

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 04-Jun-09 22:20:25

jut practised using a loo roll tube for a experiment. it worked grin
hurrah for low tech!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now