Talk

Advanced search

Morning sickness - Lots of blood in vomit - Is that bad?!?

(23 Posts)
sifuentes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:02:51

I have been trying not to be too much of a hyponchondriac - and failing miserably obviously - but last night when I was sick there was a LOT of blood, a good cupful although it might have been mixed with bile and therefore not as much as it looked.

Apart from the usual delightful burny feeling that I always get after an MS barf there was no other pain.

Is that normal?

Some reassurance would be gratefully received

LeninGrad Tue 02-Jun-09 14:04:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shootfromthehip Tue 02-Jun-09 14:06:36

Doctor's love. Like now- I've had horrendous MS twice (like hospitalised and medicated) and I've NEVER had blood in it. Yip- Doctor's.

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 02-Jun-09 14:06:55

You can get it with very severe MS without it meaning anything bad other than that you've been sick more than your body can cope with, but unless you have had very severe MS for a long time, and with that much blood, I would definitely see the doc about it. In fact, if you're throwing up so much you are vomiting up blood that's probably a sign you need better treatment, so def see doc whatever.

PinkTulips Tue 02-Jun-09 14:07:19

gp.

now.

no it's not normal, any internal bleeding like that should be checked.

if you swallowed that much blood from a cut in your mouth you'd have noticed so it came from inside and that needs to be checked out i'm afraid

wahwahwah Tue 02-Jun-09 14:07:20

I had that after I was ill and had been throwing up a lot. It was actually coming from grazes in my throat - yeuch. Bets to go to the doctor though just to be on the safe side. You do seem to bleed a lot more when you are pregnant though (nosebleeds especially).

belgo Tue 02-Jun-09 14:07:30

I vomited blood when I had severe morning sicknees. It was from tears in my oesophagus caused by the persistant vomiting. I had a lot of chest pain with it. Finally the doctor started to take my morning sickness seriouslyhmm.

It's not good, you should see you GP and you should maybe think about taking tablets to stop the vomiting.

shootfromthehip Tue 02-Jun-09 14:07:32

Just read that back and it was scary- please do call the Doc's but don't let me panic you- I know nothing. Good luck

belgo Tue 02-Jun-09 14:08:52

I was diagnosed with Mallory-Weiss tears.

Call and speak to a doctor now.

prettyfly1 Tue 02-Jun-09 14:09:44

I have been so sick with hg that I could barely breathe and still not had more then the merest trace of blood - again from tears in the oesophagus. You absolutely MUST go and get this looked into.

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 02-Jun-09 14:11:16

I threw up quite a bit that was simply from nosebleeds, but not as much as a cupful.
It may well be nothing to worry about but I wouldn't take the risk; you should ring doc and demand an emergency appointment.

sifuentes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:23:53

Wowzers. Ok. I will call the doctor.

Thanks very much for all your speedy responses.

sifuentes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:51:47

Off to see the doctor now. She said it sounds like indigestion hmm

Also she wants a wee test. Hope I can summon one up. Poor love. My wee STINKS at the moment!

maybebaby23 Tue 02-Jun-09 14:57:54

I had the same problem, quite a bit of blood each time i was sick. Went to the docs and she said i had burst some vessels at the back of my throat, the reason there was so much was because you have more blood when you are pregnant so easier to burst vessels and more comes out etc. Hope that helps.

JumpingJellyfish Tue 02-Jun-09 15:01:45

hi sif- I have never had blood in vomit during ms but have had it a few years ago when it turned out I had a stomach ulcer. Used to be quite a bit of blood too- not nice, and painful as well. Was put on meds to lower acid in tummy, plus lots of normal indigestion remedies, low acid diet etc., tests for H. pylori (I think!) bacteria that can cause ulcers (came back negative). Luckily the meds and diet worked for me, but have a tendancy to irritate stomach lining so heartburn during pregnancy does try it a bit...and I'm sure frequent vomiting would too.

Hope doc is helpful and hope it improves soon xx

belgo Tue 02-Jun-09 16:35:51

Make sure you tell them that your wee smells. that can also be a symptom of dehydration, infection or pre-eclampsia.

JumpingJellyfish Wed 03-Jun-09 10:40:39

How'd it go Sif? Hope you are ok xxx

sifuentes Wed 03-Jun-09 15:55:32

Hi Everyone - thanks again for words of advice and help.

I went to the doctors yesterday afternoon and she prodded me and took blood and urine samples and blood pressure and everything is fine. She thinks it was a tear and that I am also suffering from bad ingestion which made it worse so advised on a bottle of gaviscon. I was sick again last night (4 times sad) and only a little bit of blood this time. Lots of awful acid bile though. But it looks like it was nothing. Definitely pleased I got it checked out though. She said if it happens again to go to A&E. Hopefully it won't though...

HeadFairy Wed 03-Jun-09 16:05:58

Poor Sif, you've had it rough haven't you? Glad you got some help from the doc. Hope you find something that stops the puking. Did the doc not mention an anti emetic or are they not on for pg ladies?

Hope you're feeling better now. xx

wasabipeanut Wed 03-Jun-09 16:54:33

Aw Sif honey.

<wasabi strokes Sif's hair>

It will all start to get better soon.

pregancyhell Wed 19-Dec-12 15:33:45

Hello everyone

I just wanted to get some advice and a bit of a moan. I am 34 wks pregnant and I am very much blessed with my baby as I know some of my freinds cannot sadley have children. But I do not feel like me at all? I am normally trying to look on bright side and I am the listener and adviser in my family ( if you see what i mean :-)

But this is my first pregancy has been simpley rubbish? I ve had a hip op a while ago so I got arthritus in one hip, I been put on crutches since 20 weeks and feel such a burden to my very small family of dad and husband who work full time and 75age gran. I ve been in hosptial three time's due to painful water infections, the foruth a car pulled out on me and I had to emergency stop & seat belt wrapped tight around my stomach. I ve had morning sickness twice a day since 8 wks and the last couple days ive had blood ( small cupfull today) in my vomit. Hence reading this page and thank you for the good advice, at Gp's tonight. I am having an EVC on xmas eve and just feel like crying loads.

My gran who never had morning sickness and was playing tennis the day before she gave birth so has no idea and would really just like to speak to come people that do have an idea.

A saying which I ve tryed to keep myself postive with is I know there are worse people out there and that I am blessed but I feel i ve got the the point were I just want baby to come and to feel me again?

Does any of this make sense, I am sorry this is a long message and maybe I am going crazy and no one feels like this?

NAR4 Wed 19-Dec-12 21:51:05

I regularly vomited blood when pregnant with my fourth child. GP said it was due to my severe morning sickness and prescribed me anti sickness tablets. It all settled once the morning sickness lessened.

pregnancyhell you are not alone and just because other people may suffer more with their pregnancy doesn't lessen the misery for you when it is rubbish. I am 32 weeks and felt really low like you only a couple of weeks ago. Came as quite a shock to be honest as I never got this low in previous pregnancies. A couple of weeks down the line and I am feeling a lot more optimistic again, now the count down of weeks to go, is in single figures.

Hope you start to feel a bit better soon and just keep counting down those days, not long now. In the mean time moan away on here, I know I have found that reliefing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now