Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnancy and really bad eczema, any advice??

(7 Posts)
holidayneeded Mon 01-Jun-09 22:14:54

hi there, i am 8 weeks pregnant and suffer from veery very bad eczema on my hands, worse since pregnant. had 2 previous mcs, was probably overdosing on steroid creams...do not want to use any...but can i?
what else did u use? i am so desperate to get better!

jakesmum06 Mon 01-Jun-09 22:27:07

hi i ve had bad eczema since being a child and is usually worse in early pregnancy- i stopped using dermovate and hydrocortisone in early pregnancy but recently asked gp what he recommended i do as it was so bad on my arms he said 1% hydrocortisone would be fine for use in pregnancy and i now use this very sparingly to keep it under control, see your gp hun and get it cleared up if poss i know how annoying it is for you. xx

holidayneeded Mon 01-Jun-09 22:42:23

it is soo annoying especially for my job!! i lost all confidence...thanx for ur advice

LackingNicknameInspiration Wed 03-Jun-09 23:35:45

Hello,

Not sure that I can add anything to that, but I sympathise - am pg for second time and it was one of the first signs - although not as bad as last time when it kept waking me up - I was also told 1% ok but gave up as it wasn't making any difference. I found that eumobase cream was really helpful - it seemed to get rid of the itching very well - bit hard to get on prescription as it doesn't seem to appear in any of the GP's lists, but I found it for a fiver or so in Boots - it's just an emollient but a very good one. Also spoke to my MW this time and she seemed to think that there is something that you can take, but couldn't remember what and suggested speaking to GP. Fortunately, mine's improved with the better weather so I haven't had to take anything but it sounds as if there's some help out there.

Mine did get/has got better as the pregnancy progressed too, so there's hope yet.

Best of luck!

Luxmum Thu 04-Jun-09 07:51:53

Hi, I got it AFTER giving birth, it was hideous, all weeping and would rip when I moved. urgh. i think most of mine was hormones and stress to be honest. I found accupuncture helped, as did a cream I got from England (go on the alergy talk forum, there is tons of ideas there) but for me, the best thing was stopping dairy. It almost cleared in 3 days once i did that. Really sorry to hear about this, it's really upsetting to have, so I hope you find something which helps you.

SofiaAmes Thu 04-Jun-09 08:02:38

Read something just the other day that bathing in dilute bleach water does wonders for eczema. Here is the link to the article.

holidayneeded Thu 04-Jun-09 18:40:58

thanks all, went to gp today and got hydrocortisone 1% and emollient...will try tonight1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now