Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How pregnant were you when you saw your GP?

(12 Posts)
laurawantsababy Mon 01-Jun-09 21:13:53

Just wondering, Im only 5+2 weeks but am taking dd to be weighed tomorrow so thought I could see my GP then.

Is that too early? Should I wait a few weeks?

mrsdisorganised Mon 01-Jun-09 21:15:33

Went to see my GP at 11 weeks as I knew I wouldn't be scanned until 12 weeks anyway, fast tracked in to see midwife for booking in and scan the following week!

mollymawk Mon 01-Jun-09 21:16:29

Well, I waited until abt 6 weeks the first time and then had to wait until 15 weeks (!) for my dating scan. So the next time I went the day after I got my +ve test!

HeadFairy Mon 01-Jun-09 21:16:34

Previously it was as soon as I got a positive pregnancy test, but then I did that twice and miscarried the next day, so I've become a bit paranoid about it. This time I didn't go and see the gp until I'd had a scan at 8 weeks to confirm the pregnancy was viable. Call me over cautious but I've had to cancel too many 12 week scans to go any earlier now.

Biglips Mon 01-Jun-09 21:16:48

as soon i found out

thisisyesterday Mon 01-Jun-09 21:18:02

first time round i was about 6 weeks. gp just said go see midwife.
so the next 2 times I just booked straight in to see the midwife. the GP doesn't even do anything.

about 8or 9 weeks, to give them time to arrange booking appt and scan

Deemented Mon 01-Jun-09 21:20:09

At our doctors we don't actually get to see a doctor - we have to tell the receptionists and they then have us fill in a form and they pass it onto the midwife team who then contact us at about ten weeks to arrange a booking in appointment.

Joolsiam Mon 01-Jun-09 21:20:14

Exactly the same for me Headfairy - am tired of having to cancel booking in and scan appts, so I'm not going to see a GP next time till after a decent (private) 8 week scan.

In my area, the midwife wants to book you in at 8 wks (new guidelines apparently) but I really can't see the point - it just feels like it is tempting fate

laurawantsababy Mon 01-Jun-09 21:20:36

Thanks, maybe I wont bother with my GP then and just book in for the midwife at 10 weeks.

Portofino Mon 01-Jun-09 21:25:17

I went all excited to the gps at 6 weeks only to find they weren't at all interested. I filled in a form and didn't see anyone till bookin in appointment with mw at 12 weeks.

I didn't even have any symptoms so spent a couple of months wondering if I was imagining the whole thing.....

HeadFairy Mon 01-Jun-09 21:25:59

It depends on your area laura, I needed to go to the gp to be referred for antenatal care, I couldnt' get a booking in appt without a gp visit. I also got a mat exemption form for free prescriptions. We're told to have our booking in appts between 8 and 10 weeks. I think it's different from area to area. I guess if you haven't got any worries there's no harm in waiting until you're about 7 or 8 weeks. We're fortunate enough to not have to pay for early scans here, we have a walk in, self referral EPU, so that was my first stop this time.

ohdearwhatamess Mon 01-Jun-09 21:42:39

With ds1 at 4+2 blush It had taken us 8 years to conceive and my GP at the time had been a real tower of strength. I couldn't wait to tell her.

With ds2 I went at about 8 weeks, iirc, just to get into the system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now