Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How does weight gain work?

(22 Posts)
NaiveNewbie Mon 01-Jun-09 16:48:32

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question but if you don't increase your calories intake at all - ie. stick to around 2000 cals a day (recommended for women) would you still gain weight? I am only a few weeks gone so just startig to obsess about this now. I am not going to try to diet or anything but just curious to know how it works. if I stay like this for months, eating 2000 cals a day, would I still gain weight?

Tee2072 Mon 01-Jun-09 16:50:59

Assuming you mean that you are pregnant, yes you will still gain weight. The baby is gaining weight, you are adding fluid and extra blood.

You will gain weight. There is no way around it when pregnant.

lynniep Mon 01-Jun-09 16:52:14

well yes, presumably, you're having a baby, and they do weigh something (as do the placenta, and the other bits and bobs in there - so technical, me!)

but I dont think you're meant to increase your calories anyway until the last few months and even then its only something minimal like 300 cals a day.

so I think you need to assume you're going to get heavier, unless you start eating less than 2000, which really is a bad idea

Unicornvomit Mon 01-Jun-09 16:53:48

you do need to lay down some extra fat stores for breastfeeding. but you don;t need to gain 4 stone

a normal weight gain is around 25 pounds, give or take, and as Tee has said it is the baby, fluid, the placenta and uterus itself, extra blood and fluid in your body and fat stores in your breasts and other areas

you might only gain a few pounds, but some weight gain is normal and necessary

however, some women do lose weight due to morning sickness , no need to obsess, a normal healthy balanced diet is fine

NaiveNewbie Mon 01-Jun-09 16:55:44

Oops yes, should have made that clear - I meant weight gain in pregnancy! I am just 4 now and was just musing on this. A friend of mine gained 4 stone when she was pregnant and said she hadn't been massively overeating so I was just wondering if the weight gain somehow happens naturally without you necessarily eating more? Maybe your metabolism slows down? I can't imagine how I could eat enough to put on that much weight!

NaiveNewbie Mon 01-Jun-09 16:57:24

Oops again, I am not 4 years old. I am 4 weeks (pregnant)!

EffieGadsby Mon 01-Jun-09 17:10:10

Your metabolism actually increases during pregnancy. I agree, it does seem odd how some women seem to gain a lot of weight when they aren't eating that much more - if the calories aren't coming in, and the calories that are coming in are being burned up faster than pre-pregnancy...where does the extra energy to create the weight come from?

I know where mine is coming from, as I have been permanently ravenous since week 4 (am now 11+4). I haven't been on the scales, but that joy will come at booking appointment next week. I feel it might be a considerable gain!

susiey Mon 01-Jun-09 19:13:21

I tend to eat healthier when I am pregnant so actually lost 13 kg ( not through dieting)

houmousandcarrotsandwich Tue 02-Jun-09 22:03:33

I read somewhere you should put on about 5lb in 1st trimester. I was feeling pleased with myself for not gaining, until 10 weeks when 2lb added, and another since.
I have days when I eat abit more than normal, but others when I hardly eat as feel rough, so guess they even out.

But it's all normal!

morningpaper Tue 02-Jun-09 22:06:30

I gained 4 stone and I didn't massively over-eat. I DID find that the only foods that stopped me being nauseous were quite fatty foods though, so I ended up eating lots of fried eggs on toast!

There are LOTS of people who gain A LOT of weight and I think it is really unlikely that a life-time of habits change over-night! It does seem that some women put on pregnancy weight very easily, and some women don't. I don't think it is something you have an enormous amount of control over, to be honest. As long as you try to maintain a healthy diet, then I wouldn't worry too much.

morningpaper Tue 02-Jun-09 22:08:03

And I swore the same thing wouldn't happen with my second pregnancy, but it did hmm

staylucky Wed 03-Jun-09 01:32:12

Just eat and enjoy it! It's a very liberating time. Who actually cares if you put on a few pounds??

I bloody love my pregnant body!

Newb Wed 03-Jun-09 08:54:23

I've found that some days I've felt permanently hungry - couldn't eat enough. And others I haven't been that hungry at all. Tried to eat fairly healthy stuff, as much as I wanted but not lots of junk food and has worked out OK so far. Ended up putting on lots of weight some months and nothing in others. But baby grew consistently....

19fran76 Wed 03-Jun-09 09:06:44

I ate a lot more (mainly healthy stuff though) when pregnant & gained somewhere between 3-4 stone. I don't think it's healthy to obsess over weight gained in pregnancy. I was proud of the quality of my diet & saw that as something positive that I was doing for myself & my baby. The weight has dropped off now through exercise & my baby is nine months this week. So don't imagine that you have to hang on to it once the baby arrives.smile

ButtercupWafflehead Wed 03-Jun-09 09:12:27

I find the weight gain calculator quite reassuring!

ButtercupWafflehead Wed 03-Jun-09 09:14:09

i.e. it's all placenta and extra blood.

Not cake.

scarlotti Wed 03-Jun-09 16:43:29

Ha ha, I just did that weight gain calculator. According to that I'll put on 1st 6lbs - given I'm now 18 weeks and already 1st heavier I think it might be a little out!

I gaines very little with dd (was 20 and didn't eat much) gained 2st with ds (32 and not huge food increase in 1st trimester as little ms). This time around I'm 35 and had terrible nausea for about 8 weeks, the only thing which helped was eating. There's the extra 1st.
According to my pg book, 1st trimester gain can be between 4lbs to 14lbs.
I'd say it varies by person and also by pregnancy.

[heads off to hide scales and live in blissful ignorance for another 5 months] grin

bratnav Wed 03-Jun-09 16:56:23

Aaargh, that weight gain calculator says I will only put on 1st 1lb, I am 26 weeks and have already put on 8lbs hmm

Stokey Wed 03-Jun-09 18:29:05

Briliant weight gain calculator

am 18 wks - & growing fast - saw my DR today who said you shld only put on 4 kgs over whole thing.... the weight of the baby

I've already put on that much so was feeling like fat trougher... knew i shouldn't have admitted my recent affinity to cakes & chocolate

but this says i can put on 15kg, so am only a third of the way thru - Hurrah

ButtercupWafflehead Thu 04-Jun-09 13:38:31

crikey, you all must have been pretty small to start with?

I am apparently going to put on 2st2, only 8lb of which is going to be fat!

bratnav Thu 04-Jun-09 15:32:23

Um, buttercup, I am 5'7'' and was 85kg to start with, I think it assumes that the heavier you are to begin with, the less weight you will put on as you have 'reserves'hmm

lastboxoftampons Thu 04-Jun-09 16:18:40

Stokey shock about your doctor!!!! 4kgs!!! Is he mad!?!?!?

I'm 33 weeks, average size and I've gained about 25lbs so far. I'm not worried really. I don't feel bad about myself until someone says OMG, you're big! hmm Which is surprisingly often and from virtual strangers!! But DH and my mom keep telling me I look great, that they can't tell I'm pregnant from the back, etc. So I basically feel fine. I know I'm not eating badly or too much, and this is just the way my body is doing the whole pregnancy thing. I think you just need to go with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now