Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anybody been sterilised and then fallen pregnant

(16 Posts)
starshaker Sun 31-May-09 23:07:28

My fried was sterilised 7 years ago. she has just had a positive pg test and is now burying her hea in the sand. she said she only did the test cos i had a spare and that its not possible for her to be pregnant

starshaker Sun 31-May-09 23:21:45

bump before bedtime

starshaker Mon 01-Jun-09 07:49:20

bump

PacificDogwood Mon 01-Jun-09 07:53:23

I do not have any personal experience but it IS possible. I think the failure rate quoted at the time of surgery is 1/10 000.

Sorry for your friend, but she really needs to be checked out because the risk of ectopitc pregnancy is higher under these circumstances.

Good luck.

MrsHappy Mon 01-Jun-09 07:54:04

I haven't been, but it is possible for her to be pregnant.

See here, for example.

She needs to be seen by a doctor asap. There is an increased risk of ectopic pregnancy where a woman who has been sterilised becomed pregnant.

bloss Mon 01-Jun-09 08:20:33

Message withdrawn

awayfromhome Mon 01-Jun-09 08:31:07

Yes, when I had my dd the woman in the bed opposite me had just had her 5th child, she was sterilised after her 4th!

starshaker Mon 01-Jun-09 09:36:06

she just keeps saying its not possible

rubles Mon 01-Jun-09 10:34:07

I met a man in the park a week or two ago who was pushing twins on the roundabout who were conceived after his wife was sterilised. They were children 4+5 for them, so they must have been well and truly gobsmacked.

mrsdisorganised Mon 01-Jun-09 10:42:41

Think I'm going to rethink my future contraceptive planshmm I'm pg with my 5th and have asked to be sterilised during my c-section (5th!!) as it is the 'sensible' thing to do and thought it was better than other long term contraceptives eg coil etc! Now feeling very unsure.....

Kutner Mon 01-Jun-09 10:44:15

A friend of mine was sterilised and fell pregnant a couple of months later.

bloss Mon 01-Jun-09 11:42:56

Message withdrawn

PacificDogwood Mon 01-Jun-09 20:50:04

OP, can you print off this thread and show it to your friend?

She should really get confirmation, one way or another.

starshaker Tue 02-Jun-09 17:37:51

ive been copying and pasting
ive also been googleing. i told her it would be fab and we can do it together. if looks could kill id be dead lol. would love to have a mate pregnant at the same time as me then we can compare bumps lol

smitheyg23 Thu 04-Jun-09 15:30:47

Don't know if this helps, but i was sterilized 7 years ago after my 2nd. I have just been to my docs as i feel preg. Haven't had a pos test but the doc seems to think so too! Just had bloods done, then she is gonna arrange a scan for me . The failure rate i am told is 1 in 200 and as the years go on the higher the risk.
Alot of docs are moving away from the clips and are going for the cutting method, but yet it is still possble.

I am taking it that it is natures way of say still have plans for you!lol
Ill let you all know the results!

babyblue3 Mon 08-Jun-09 17:54:43

I had tubes tied in 2006 and fell pregnant almost a year to the date later. I am now pg with baby #4 (second child AFTER having tubes done), and it took only one try!

She should get herself looked after. Its a shock, but a blessing too! Told DH its HIS turn to get fixed this time!! LOL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now