Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Could I possibly be pregnant?

(27 Posts)
Angifi Sun 31-May-09 04:25:14

Hello, I am new here. I'm 42, have a 9 month old darling son,Charlie.He is still breastfeeding whenever he wants and I haven't yet had a period.
I'm thinking there's a possibility I might have conceived last weekend, as I haven't yet ovulated, but noticed fertile C.M the day after we bd for the first time in ages.Of course thaat could have been residule semen(?it looked at felt like CM - very stretchy and clear).
Anyway I have started to notice that my bbs are tender (and never have been with b.feeding), I have a metallic taste in my mouth, and the smell of eggs cooking this morning was yucky.
I dunno, seems so unlikely(I know my fertility must be wanning at this age), yet it is possible.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

MrsJamin Sun 31-May-09 07:45:53

take a test then

Angifi Sun 31-May-09 07:48:13

I did, but i'm only 7dpo and of course it was neg.I will test again next weekend.

TreeHuggerMum1 Sun 31-May-09 08:03:27

In both of my pregnancies I didn't get positive tests until I was 5 weeks gone... Sometimes you can have faint traces for a few weeks before it will show on atest, so maybe leave tests for another few weeks just in case...

traceybath Sun 31-May-09 08:07:34

You could be pregnant if you weren't using contraception. I got pregnant when bf 10 month old.

However as you know you need to wait another week to take a test.

beanieb Sun 31-May-09 09:22:03

you could be but I think a week is a little early to be getting symptoms.

FabulousBakerGirl Sun 31-May-09 09:29:21

You had sex without using any contraception so yes, I would say you could be pregnant.

pavlovthecat Sun 31-May-09 09:43:00

beanie - a week is not too early to get symptoms. I started vomiting one week to the day after conceiving this time, I thought it was a bug DD had a few days before, but it was very unlike a bug, it followed the exact pattern of morning sickness, and it did not ever go away. Not even now at 16 weeks! I had a metallic taste and my sense of smell went into overdrive, sore boobs. I had gone off coffee and alcohol by 10 days after conceiving. I know the date of conception as it was the only time we had sex during that period of ovulation.

I had to wait until the day before I was due on, another week, before I could test, but I knew I was pg.

It seems perfectly possible therefore that you could be pregnant, especially given that you think you ovulated at that time. it only takes having sex once to conceive. I had the implant removed one month before I conceived.

nappyaddict Sun 31-May-09 10:16:37

Try Asda or Sainsbury's own brand. They can detect a positive result at 6 dpo.

Angifi Sun 31-May-09 10:25:51

Oh I wish I had those brands, but I am in Australia.I will try a first response on Weds when I am 10 dpo.I got a positive last time at 9dpo.
Thanks for the responses.

alexpolismum Sun 31-May-09 15:21:37

I presume bd means have sex?

I got pregnant with dc2 while still exclusively bf dc1, who was then 5 months old. I am now pregnant with dc3, while still bf dc2. In my experience, bf is a red herring as far as fertility is concerned.

Longtalljosie Sun 31-May-09 15:52:36

I had the funny taste in my mouth from about a week after conception. I think you could well be pregnant...

nappyaddict Sun 31-May-09 20:49:38

Breastfeeding doesn't protect you from pregnancy once the baby is older than 6 months anyway and yours is 10 months so it sounds likely.

Breastfeeding only works as contraception if baby is under 6 months, you are exclusively breastfeeding (so no other solids or liquids are given except for breastmilk) and baby is still feeding through the night.

nappyaddict Sun 31-May-09 20:51:13

Oh and the baby can't just be having 1 feed in the night they have to be feeding at least 3-4 hourly throughout the day and night.

littlelamb Sun 31-May-09 20:56:12

nappy that info is wrong. Breastfeeding does not protect you from pregnancy full stop.

Squarah Sun 31-May-09 21:03:29

littlelamb only 2 women in 100 will pregnant over a year of using that method which is as reliable as reliably-used condoms. But there are lots of criteria which need to be met as nappyaddict said.

COI Family planning doctor

littlelamb Sun 31-May-09 21:06:05

shock
Honestly?? As reliable as condoms?? I just don't believe that. I speak as the sister of 2 fully breastfed brothers of 11 months apart and a friend of someone with 11 months between her two, also fully breastfed. I was under the impression that was a myth, and I certainly wouldn't want to take that risk

nappyaddict Sun 31-May-09 21:35:34

What does COI mean?

Squarah Mon 01-Jun-09 15:46:12

COI conflict of interest

littlelamb have a look here it's the family planning association website and it confirms what I said. However you have to feel you can trust whatever method you use so if you're not happy with this one then there are plenty of alternatives. It isn't a myth but obviously there are failures for most methods sadly!HTH.

pavlovthecat Mon 01-Jun-09 20:02:20

Interestingly, in the bumph I was given in my bounty pack, there is an info leaflet about all the things you might be thinking about re pregnancy and a new baby, and there is a few pages looking at breastfeeding your newborn. One the the pro's for breastfeeding is that a side effect is being a contraceptive for a fully breastfed baby. No other info about so many variables being in place in order for this to occur. Just plan and simple, breastfeeding is an effective form of contraception (not even could be, but is). I was quite surprised that the NHS would promote it, given the potentials for it to not be reliable, vs a reliable source of contraception.

Unicornvomit Mon 01-Jun-09 20:08:21

it;s not a myth, it really isn't

like any other method of contraception, it has a failure rate

it is not 100 % regardless of how new the baby is. hence plenty of babies less than a year apart !

Angifi Mon 01-Jun-09 23:52:36

Well,I'm 9 dpo and test is negative.If symptoms persist I'll test in a few days.At first I was freaked at the idea of babies 18 months apart, but now I feel disappointed!

Squarah Tue 02-Jun-09 16:28:01

Ah Angifi I've just had a BFP after 4 negative ones and will hopefully be having one 18 months apart - am also freaking out! I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever pans out and if you get really broody then you'll know to go for it again!!

Angifi Tue 02-Jun-09 23:34:25

Squarah, how many days post ovulation were you when you got the bfp? I'm still hopeful.

Squarah Wed 03-Jun-09 16:48:04

Not sure I'm afraid - have never really known how long my cycles are - last one was 43 days but suspect this was more like 35. I left it a week between tests got a BFP despite stopping feeling pregnant which was a real surprise. Hope you get the result you want - keep us posted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now