Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dogs and babies!

(16 Posts)
Rachey1969 Wed 04-May-05 15:34:45

Hi, I have just found out I'm pregnant with no.4. (early days - only 5 weeks). This will be my first with my new partner, other 3 by my ex. My sister's dog has just had puppies and we are due to have an eight week old at the end of June (I won't be due till next Jan). Am I mad? I and dp have wanted a dog for ages and the kids will be thrilled. Am I taking on too much? What about health risks? The kids will be so upset if we don't get it because of a baby!

f1recr4cker Wed 04-May-05 15:40:45

yes u can do it but it will be a lot of hard work! having a young dog around is like having another toddler although at least it wont be a puppy puppy if u know what i mean by the time baby arrives.

elliedragon Wed 04-May-05 15:43:22

I struggle with my dog (chocolate labrador) and 2 small boys. Dog came first and I thought then I would never want a puppy again as poos everywhere, chews furniture and rips up the carpet. I think if you are at home most of the time and your children are a bit older to help out, and you have a garden you can let it run around in it will be ok. I find that with a pushchair a child and dog on small pavements a bit of a nightmare but if your children can take the dog as you push the pram it would be fine. As far as health risks to you just make sure that it is wormed regularly as children seem to like having their faces licked. Congratulations on no4 baby!

Rachey1969 Wed 04-May-05 15:45:16

Thanks! I certainly know what toddlers are like! Hopefully the kids will help (with pup and baby...) my eldest is 11 and we back on to a park for pooping and scooping. Should I be worried about toxoplasmosis or is that just cats?

FLUM Wed 04-May-05 15:48:33

oooh, lots of work. double poop cleaning up!!! puppy should be trained by the time new babba arrives though.

ps

you have been immortalised on mn thread cliches thread.

Rachey1969 Wed 04-May-05 15:48:46

Thanks again, this will be a black lab - the other kids are 7-11 so fairly self-sufficent and house-trained! I don't have any carpets downstairs and I think I will get a kiddy gate to keep it in the kitchen/dining area unless directly supervised. My garden is quite big and we are right on a park entrance (although it is a main road..) I work from home most of the time so will be here.

FLUM Wed 04-May-05 15:49:06

black labs fairly chilled out too.

Rachey1969 Wed 04-May-05 15:49:49

mn thread cliches thread? I'm new to this...

FLUM Wed 04-May-05 15:52:37

oh its ok its a jokey thread. we laugh at ourselves on. your thread title seemed funny on first reading.

so I put it on there

bit daft really

look at \link{http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=1375&threadid=74085}

hope that works

its just silly jokes

FLUM Wed 04-May-05 15:53:45

oh i don'tknow how to link it.

wasn't that good anyway.

you are luck I want a dog. but am a bit scared of them must admit

FLUM Wed 04-May-05 15:54:28

it was you know:

dogs and babies, do they go? Anyone got a recipe?

Rachey1969 Wed 04-May-05 15:58:52

Ah... I see, found it, was trying to be concise. Am expecting OTT animal crazy big sis (no kids, too scared...and now too late...) to accuse me of not being able to give enough attention to pup and favouring baby (as if?!)

FLUM Wed 04-May-05 16:01:07

ermm, well one would hope you would favour baby.

other important thing with dogs is to make sure they understand that baby/children are higher than them in pecking order.

ie hold dog in sitting posiiton and allow baby child to be in dogs bed/area this re-inforces that child is higher than them. saw that on a tv show once

FLUM Wed 04-May-05 16:04:47

WElcome by the way.

Rachey1969 Wed 04-May-05 16:05:38

I would of course, but to her children are below slugs in the pecking order of things. Yes, you have to show who's boss. I shall be veritable Barbara Woodhouse!

elliedragon Wed 04-May-05 16:12:20

If your dog is anything like mine it will think it is a child anyway. I have had no problems with her and the children. I think in general Labs are pretty harmless although she doesnt much care for the kids riding on her back like a horse!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now