Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What can't I eat please advise

(21 Posts)
dyzzidi Wed 04-May-05 12:05:04

Ok so I know certain things,

Pate
Soft Cheese, Stilton etc
Undercooked meat
Unpasturised anything including Mayo
Alcohol of course
and found out today Salad bars etc

Can you all think of any other foods I can not eat this will really help me out.

Nemo1977 Wed 04-May-05 12:11:26

undercooked eggs and soft whipped icecream

berolina Wed 04-May-05 12:11:31

Hi dyzzidi,

If you go a bit down the pregnancy topics page there's a thread entitled 'I soooo want a prawn cocktail!' On there I've posted a link to the Sheffield Centre for Pregnancy Nutrition which has a lot of clear and useful info.

All the best for your pg!

WigWamBam Wed 04-May-05 12:12:41

Stilton is OK, it's the soft unpasteurised stuff like Brie that you can't have, I think.

Steer clear of liver and peanuts too.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 04-May-05 12:15:47

It really depends what risks you're worried about, and how worried you are.

Even though I have had two miscarriages, I wasn't that careful about pate etc, just made sure it was from a good source, was fresh, etc. We have no big allergy risks, so I had peanuts and so on.

Apparently the liver thing is based on one woman who went berzerk for liver, and was eating it all the time, and drinking it, pureed. Liver is fine, just not for every meal.

berolina Wed 04-May-05 12:16:27

OMG pureed liver?! [puke emoticon]

jane313 Wed 04-May-05 12:18:45

there was a good link posted a couple of days ago, I'll find it for you.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 04-May-05 12:22:22

Berolina, I know! If you're drinking pureed liver, you've got to have more wrong with you than just vitamin a poisoning!

jane313 Wed 04-May-05 12:23:28

\link{http://www.shef.ac.uk/pregnancy_nutrition/}food

the whole thread is good too

jane313 Wed 04-May-05 12:24:27

again
food

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 12:50:06

can we not eat mayonaise??

TeriS Wed 04-May-05 12:51:59

I thought it was only home-made mayonaise (with raw eggs). Please tell me I can still eat mayo...

NotQuiteCockney Wed 04-May-05 12:53:12

Yeah, it's only "real" mayo. You're fine with most jar mayo - it will say on it if it's made with pasteurised eggs or not.

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 12:58:45

i can calm down now.. God i love the stuff..

dyzzidi Wed 04-May-05 13:03:42

thanks for your help I am having a great start by eating chips rice and curry for lunch.

I have eaten 5 pieces of fruit already and eat mainy during the day as feel a bit sick in the evenings.

TeriS Wed 04-May-05 13:04:37

LOL.. me too Minnie1 - I'm a secret mayo addict (well not very secret now!).

MrsFogi Sun 08-May-05 13:00:17

Does anyone know if mozzarella is ok during pregnancy?

thanks

Finbar Sun 08-May-05 13:01:25

Some Brie and soft cheesea re fine because they are pastuerised - just ask in the supermarket - I was surprised how many you could eat!

tab Sun 08-May-05 14:35:48

Mozzarella is absolutely fine MrsFogi, I have eaten loads of it this pregnancy. I had a bit of smoked salmon yesterday although I know thats naughty. Cream cheese like philadelphia is fine. With Brie, camembert and the blue veined cheeses you have to be careful - as people have said the key word "pasteurised".

berolina Sun 08-May-05 16:17:06

Sorry to sound a bit know-it-all-ish but Brie etc. and blue-veined cheeses should ideally be avoided even if pasteurised - the moistness and mould in them are good breeding grounds for listeria, which can sometimes contaminate the cheese after pasteurisation of the milk. Mozzarella, despite being 'soft', is fine.

MrsFogi Sun 08-May-05 17:52:25

Thanks for the mozzarella replies - I'll get on with my tomato/mozzarella salad then! So next question due to Tab's reply - is smoked salmon off-limits during pregnancy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now