Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! Pregnant and clueless

(9 Posts)
MrsFogi Wed 04-May-05 10:54:18

I found out I was pg this week (am at 4 wks 2 days) - can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do now (ie see doctor, organise scans, anything else)? I'm not currently in England but I will be when the baby is due (very nervous saying that as my last pg ended in a missed mc last year) and will be back from next month some time. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing now or what appointments I should be lining up and have no one I can ask as I really don't want to tell anyone at this stage - help, I'm feeling completely lost!

katzguk Wed 04-May-05 10:57:32

i went to the GP first to get my free prescription form for my folic acid tablets. and to get a due date confirmed. plus to get in the system for my scan.

i guess since your not in the UK not really sure of your course of action

just wanted to add congratulations!

Tinker Wed 04-May-05 10:58:15

I'd just see your GP (or equivalent) just to get into teh system and see what they say.

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 11:01:11

MrsFogi,
See a doctor, get on the folic acid.. No lifting you can out your feet up girl..

wishing you a healthy 8 months..

MrsFogi Wed 04-May-05 11:10:05

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone tell me at what stage one chooses the hospital to give birth in? (I'm panicking because over here you decide and book in asap so if your not booked in to your choice by about week 6 you have no chance of getting into one of the nice/good places)? + does your GP sort the hospital out or do you have to contact them yourself directly?

Also, apart from the 12 week scan, are there any other checks that need to be done in the first few months? Given my m/c I really would prefer to know sooner rather than later if there is a problem.

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 11:17:12

what country are you in?

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 04-May-05 11:21:46

First off, my GP told me to call the surgery and ask for a first appointment with the Midwife which I had to wait 2 weeks for.

On that first appoinment I had to choose which hospital I wanted to use. The midwife explained that if I didn't use the local one that if I went into labour and needed an ambulance they would only take me to the local one IYSWIM.

koalabear Wed 04-May-05 11:22:17

MrsFogi - firstly, congrats, and don't worry - millions of women have babies everyday without primary health care - where are you?

Having said that, get yourself a good pregnancy vitamin with folic acid, try to eat fruit and veg, stay away from anything unpasteurised, and remember to relax (walk, swim, watch a good movie)

About hospitals, in the UK you can either go public (NHS) or private (costs a fortune). Which one will you want? We moved when I was eight months - I still got into the local NHS hospital (after all, the baby WILL come out eventually, so they didn't have much choice ).

If you know where you will be living, contact your local GP there over the phone, and let them know when you will be there, and what stage in the pregnancy you will be - they will be able to advise you

Good luck

Katts Wed 04-May-05 13:00:28

Mrs Fogi, the kind of care you get over here will depend on where you move to and what GP you register with. Usually GP's will refer you to a local hospital or you may have the choice between a couple of local hospitals depending. Even then, not a lot goes on until after the first scan. The GP should refer you to a midwife (usually connected to the hospital you'll be giving birth at) The first appointment with midwife could be at 12 weeks with your scan but often its later. IME the early weeks were really frustrating because it just felt like no one was very interested in the pregnancy until after I'd passed the first trimester. But really there's not a lot they can do at this point except tell you to eat well and take your vitamins. Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now