Talk

Advanced search

How soon can you test for pregnancy?

(53 Posts)
Hooopla Wed 04-May-05 10:32:37

I think I may be PG and I can't decide wether to wait to see if my AF arrives or buy an early PG test.

How soon can you test and which are the best ones to buy?

Hooopla Wed 04-May-05 10:40:44

Anyone?

biglips Wed 04-May-05 10:43:34

i tested myself when i was 2-3 weeks late for my period and i tried Clearblue - best to have 2 different brands of pg tests to make sure, as you try one now and try the other in 3 days time, if both are "pregnant" then congratulations!!!

Katts Wed 04-May-05 10:45:51

First Response was the most sensitive test that I found. There's a Consumer Reports report somewhere on the internet where they rated the sensitivity and accuracy of lots of commercial brands and First Response came out top or near to top. Can't remember. I'm sure you could google it. At any rate, I think First Response says you can test a few days before your period is due. IME (I think I tried them all - in one frantic day!) First Response consistently came out positive earlier than the others. Good luck!

Hooopla Wed 04-May-05 10:46:07

I don't have regular cycles as such.
They vary from 25 to 31 days and I'm on day 22.

Could I test now?

ebbie22 Wed 04-May-05 10:47:11

yeah im sure u can xx

Katts Wed 04-May-05 10:47:18

Give it a shot but if it comes out negative don't take that as a definite negative.

Hooopla Wed 04-May-05 10:49:17

Great.

I might just wait a couple more days anyway but I can't wait another 10 days or so. I'll go mad

I've been having a few signs but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Hooopla Wed 04-May-05 10:54:11

Thanks

Katts Wed 04-May-05 10:58:05

Hang in there! And hope it works out for you.

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 11:04:23

i used a clear blue digital one when i was on cycle day 27 and my usual cycle can vary from 32-35.. Hope it helps and good luck..

piffle Wed 04-May-05 11:20:07

try simplyfertility.com they stock ultra early tests very cheaply too, as good if not better than the ones you pay over a tenner for
I got 10 for £6

Piccalilli Wed 04-May-05 11:31:21

First Response is supposed to be quite sensitive but I never got a positive with it for some reason - and I'm very definitely pregnant (20 weeks). I found Boots Digital quite good if you do them first thing in the morning.

shhhh Wed 04-May-05 11:42:12

Hooopla, like Minnie1 I used the clearblue digital one (For no reasons other than i'm a sucker for new recently launched ideas !) My cycle was usually between 30-37 days, ..This time I used the above test on day 27 of cycle as dh was sure we were expecting (usually the test would show nothing until about day 35 with previous pregnancies) Well it gave us a big smiley positive . We are currently due in 11 days with our 1st of many babies (hopefully.!!). Give it a go, you have nothing to loose but like others have said don't loose hope if it's negative. Try again in a few days time. Good luck

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 12:05:01

shhhh,
I'm not the only one.. I went to the doctor the following day and her test came up with a slight line she could see but i could'nt.(she must have though i was off my head) She did another test different brand and it came up +tive. At that stage i had all 3 clear blue done and all were +tive (special offer ones)

AnnaInManchester Wed 04-May-05 15:15:40

Im due for my period on/around the 13th of this month and think i may also be pregnant. when is the earliest date i can check if i am with that clearblue? please answer asap!

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 15:19:05

cant be sure but i would leave it till monday, tuesday..

AngelCakeUmm Wed 04-May-05 15:31:32

Can anyone tell me how much the clear blue digital tests are?

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 15:49:13

I live in Ireland, I bought 3 clear blue digital (now these were on permotion) for €22.00 I know its mad to spend that much but all the tests here are €10-€15 so i though i got a deal (i am a sucker for the bargin!!!)You will get the cheeper if you live in the UK..

shhhh Wed 04-May-05 16:13:16

Can't remember how much the clearblue digital ones cost here but i'm sure ours came in a pack of 3. Looking on "boot's" website a pack of 1 is £12 approx & 2 pack is £15 approx. You may get them cheaper at Tesco or Asda ??
Like you minnie1 dh & I had used them all before we had even booked in with the doctor LOL! In fact when I think back we actually went private due to previous mc's and were seen 4 days later, consultant didn't do a pregnancy test as she didn't feel the need to but did test my blood for hormone levels and tested again 48 hours later. The fact that the result had more than doubled gave her the result she needed .

Annainmanchester, I would suggest: the latest you can ie due date or 2/3 days after but if you are anything like me it would be sooner (I know how hard it is to wait esp if you are desperate for a ++ result). In my experience the above test gave me a ++++ on day 27, suppose it depends on how much of the pregnancy hormone is in your body.HTH

Katts Wed 04-May-05 17:16:25

My vote's still with first response as it gave me a positive right off the bat and clear blue digital said negative when I tested again the next morning. 20 weeks pregnant now.

AnnaInManchester Thu 05-May-05 19:20:34

Hello, as I said in an earlier post, I suspected I may be pregnant. My period is due around the 16th of each month. I feel so pregnant - I am suffering from occasional nausea, frequent trips to te toilet, and i have terrible period-type pains in my lower stomach. Is all this normal?

Also, I took a First Response test today but it showed negative. Seeing as my period isnt due til another week and half, you think it was too early and when should I try again?

AnnaInManchester Thu 05-May-05 19:41:32

bump...

Nemo1977 Thu 05-May-05 19:47:20

anna it probably is too early for most normal tests...however u can buy early tests on ebay that will give u a result 7-10 days past ov. I got a pos on one of these at 9 days past ovulation

AnnaInManchester Thu 05-May-05 19:53:11

Thanks nemo, I will try ebay.....how hard it is waiting for the results??? I feel so impatient but I really cant wait. God help me if Im not preggers, Ive really worked myself up for this one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now