Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Told not to eat salad or raw veggies

(32 Posts)
backpacker Wed 04-May-05 09:29:45

I wondered if I could get a second or even a tenth opinion. I've just spoken to my doctor who advised me not to eat any salad or raw veggies even if I've carefully prepared them myself because of the risk of listeria and other bugs. Problem is that is exactly the food I'm craving at the moment. Looking for excuses to ignore this advice is possible . I'm six weeks and 2 days pg btw

thanx

ghosty Wed 04-May-05 09:30:22

Oh for God's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

compo Wed 04-May-05 09:30:27

I think if you wash them yourself it should be fine

ghosty Wed 04-May-05 09:30:44

And how are you supposed to get any vitamins while pregnant????????????????????

Twiglett Wed 04-May-05 09:30:46

bollocks

bagged salad, pre-washed veg MAY be worth re-washing but stuff you've prepared yourself the man / woman is mad and you seriously need to consider changing doctors - what kind of diet eliminates veg and salad

hoxtonchick Wed 04-May-05 09:31:12

eat them! are you in the uk?

Twiga Wed 04-May-05 09:31:37

You should be fine to eat both these things - I just was told to make sure I'd washed them well, even pre-packed salads etc. All the best for the rest of your pg !

ghosty Wed 04-May-05 09:31:38

Sorry ... your doctor sounds bonkers ... I think this is all getting out of hand.
If you wash and prepare them yourself there should be NO problem!!!!!

WigWamBam Wed 04-May-05 09:32:06

I would have thought that if you prepare and wash them yourself, they'd be fine.

biglips Wed 04-May-05 09:32:39

i agree with everyone as all vegs and fruits and other things all need to be washed as incase of any dirt on them

Nemo1977 Wed 04-May-05 09:33:21

backpacer u can eat stuff as long as it is well washed.

zippy539 Wed 04-May-05 09:42:10

Sounds like the doctor has got confused over advice re pre-bagged salad and veg. I remember my very cautious doctor mention to wash pre-bagged salads and veg just to be on the safe side - but even she admitted that the risks were very, very low. Doctor does sound bonkers...

Sponge Wed 04-May-05 09:46:59

WTF. Who ever got Listeria from salad? Wash them and eat as much as you like - Ive never heard such bollocks. Soon pregnant women won't be able to eat anything at all.

backpacker Wed 04-May-05 09:49:33

thanks guys. I was very surprised but in my defence its my first and I know no better. Will cheerfully ignore doc

gggglimpopo Wed 04-May-05 09:52:45

The advice given in France, where listeria is rife and they eat a lot of salad and raw veg is ths.... I do this even not when pg - wash and prepare (peel, tear, chop or whatever), your salad/veg. Fill clean sink with cold water. Add few hefty slugs of vinegar (not malt ) and leave for 10 mins. Rinse/drain/dry. Vinegar will kill off any nasties. Eh voila!

WideWebWitch Wed 04-May-05 09:53:27

oh fgs, how ridiculous! Is that what everyone else said? Will have a look now. I think if you've washed them it should be fine. Esp if organic.

gggglimpopo Wed 04-May-05 09:54:16

Should have said it only works if you put said salad/veg in the water.....................

Mud Wed 04-May-05 10:19:50

having visions of pregnant women leaning over a sink filled with just water and vinegar with piles of chopped veg lying on the draining board and timing out 10 mins

Tinker Wed 04-May-05 10:45:28

If you're craving them it's because you need them. Are pregnant women just meant to eat space food now???

gggglimpopo Wed 04-May-05 10:50:35

Mud

FLUM Wed 04-May-05 10:54:18

jeeeezus.

dyzzidi Wed 04-May-05 11:08:20

Ok I'm about 6 wks pregnant myself and was just thinking for lunch of going to sainsburys and having self service salad bar and self service fruit bar, figuring I can eat enough Fruit and veg during the day as feel a bit sick in the evenings.

Is this a bad idea. Answers before twelve please as i am bloody starving

lunavix Wed 04-May-05 11:11:44

My pregnancy craving was fruit, by the 8th month everything about me was swollen. My doctor (rather heartlessly IMO) told me it was my own fault as fruit makes you retain water and if I'd gorged on crisps and chocolate I wouldn't be swollen.

Okay... but eating fruit I put on 5 stone! Dread to think what I'd have put on eating chocolate!

dyzzidi Wed 04-May-05 11:15:50

That is all I am craving is a salad bar a bad idea though??

Kiwifruit Wed 04-May-05 11:16:57

DizzyDi - the advice in NZ is not to eat pre-prepared salads from a salad bar as they are more likely to have been sitting around and gathering nasties and may not have been washed properly (however salad you've prepared yourself is fine) - especially anything like coleslaw or potato salad that has lots of mayo in it. Think if you went for lettuce salad you're probably fine, but I tend to avoid the other stuff (even though they don't tell you to avoid it in the UK). Think they're a bit anal about it at home, as they also tell you to avoid pre-prepared sandwiches, but I figure anywhere with a high turnover (like Pret) is fine, as all made fresh on the day and shelves are constantly replenished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now