Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Couldn't get a heartbeat, pretty certain I'm 13 weeks

(16 Posts)
rodeo1 Tue 03-May-05 22:03:59

Went to mw this afternoon I was nervous but wanted to be reassured there was something in there. But she couldn't get a heartbeat. I'm pretty sure I'm 13 weeks now. She said it might not have lifted out of the pelvis yet or that my dates might not be right. She didn't seem worried at all, but now have a dating scan for 16th May.

But now I feel terrible, I'm fearing the worst and can't stand the 2 week wait. Even thought about telling them I've got severe cramps (which I haven't) just to be seen quicker, that's terrible isn't it?

Wondered if it had happened to anyone else and it turned out ok? Just would like some good news

and it's my birthday today too x x

Twiglett Tue 03-May-05 22:05:30

of course she couldn't get a heartbeat, she shouldn't even have checked to be honest

they shouldn't try until at least 16 weeks and even then its a bit iffy at times

please please please don't worry rodeo it is far too early

aloha Tue 03-May-05 22:05:38

Have you seen Thomcat's threads? She though she was 11 weeks, but turned out only to be five. What kind of scan did you have?

aloha Tue 03-May-05 22:06:18

You didn't have a scan?? Then of course you won't get a heartbeat! Far too early, as Twiglett so rightly says!

jessicasmummy Tue 03-May-05 22:06:29

happy birthday, and im sure everything is fine! is this your first pg? if it is - dont worry! i was 16 weeks before i heard dd's heartbeat... and only 9 weeks this time round!

Evesmama Tue 03-May-05 22:06:31

oh my god!!!! you have been treat terribly!!!
get yourself down to day unit of you maternity hospital, they will scan you asap and put your mind at rest!!!
this happend to me at very early MW appointment, and she told me if she couldnt find the heart beat, shed send me to ours for scan!!!!

motherinferior Tue 03-May-05 22:06:49

My MW refused to try for a heartbeat at 12 weeks, flatly said she wouldn't be able to get it.

rodeo1 Tue 03-May-05 22:09:45

Thank you so much for your speedy responses, made me feel a lot better, I won't waste valuable NHS resources

She used one of those doppler thingies aloha. Brill news about TC BTW x x x

Katemum Tue 03-May-05 22:13:11

Agree with everyone here. GP tried to listen to heartbeat at, can't quite remember if it was 14 or 16 weeks, couldnt find it so sent me there and then to hosp for emergency scan. Sonographer was really mad because she said the gp should not have even been trying to find it so early.

rodeo1 Tue 03-May-05 22:13:22

Embarrassing but this is pg no 4 jessicamummy x

Brill, brill, brill - what MN is for, will go down and enjoy my birthday steak now, dp is starving

x x x x x x x x xx x x x x x x x x

mears Tue 03-May-05 22:25:59

rodeo1 - I am not surprised your M/W could nothear the heartbeat with the doppler. She should have said firmly there was no point doing it before 16 weeks. The reason being it was unlikely that she would find it and that would cause unnecessary worry!

rodeo1 Tue 03-May-05 22:31:11

Thanks Mears, v. reassuring to hear it from the horse's mouth (not that I'm calling you a horse you understand)

mears Tue 03-May-05 22:37:21

neighhhh bother

rodeo1 Tue 03-May-05 22:39:42

Sorry at my lame attempt at a joke!

rodeo1 Tue 03-May-05 22:40:25

I love horses anyway

rickman Tue 03-May-05 22:42:12

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now