Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Jacuzzi / whirlpool bath - safe or not?

(11 Posts)
alterego Tue 03-May-05 18:52:21

We've just moved house and "inherited" a bath which is either a jacuzzi or a whirlpool bath - I don't know the difference - it's got lots of holes in the side which the water comes out of! I know jacuzzi baths aren't recommended in pregnancy but does this apply to home baths too? Are whirlpool baths safe? And how can I tell which one I've got?

alterego Tue 03-May-05 23:43:43

So no-one else knows anything about them either

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 11:09:21

alterego,

There is somthing telling me that its not safe to use them.. I'll find out hang on..

dyzzidi Wed 04-May-05 11:10:13

I'm not sure can you ask your midwife??

Catbert Wed 04-May-05 11:11:37

If it's hottubs, it's mainly the high temps, but I believe the bubbles may raise blood pressure? I used to sit in one for short periods of time at the pool when PG with DD2, cause DD1 liked to - but not for long.

MINNIE1 Wed 04-May-05 11:15:53

ya hotubes, whirlpools and jacuzzi can be dangerous for m/c in early pregnancy, They can cause infection (in public ones), and raise your body tempeture. Many doctors would advise not to use them.

Hope this helps..

How far are you alterego?

Nik72 Wed 04-May-05 12:38:10

I remember a similar thread on this a while ago - someone suggested that jacuzzis were a no-no because they send bubbles up (ahem) where the sun don't shine. PMSL. I'm sure a home bubble tub should be fine as long as it's kept nice & clean - a friend hadn't used hers in a while and when she put it on a load of mould shot out of all the jets, lovely!!

alterego Wed 04-May-05 14:20:52

hhmmmmm .. mine might be mouldy as it hasn't been used for a while. Will have to find out how to clean it out.

I'm 16 weeks. Does this make a difference. Actually if there's any risk of miscarriage I shan't be getting in it as have has 2 miscarriages at 10 weeks and 2 at 5 weeks before conceiving this one. Was just wondering if these home "jacuzzi" type things are not the same as the ones you get at spas / hotels etc. Or if it's a whirlpool bath is that different?

Elly1801 Sat 21-May-05 18:56:15

Have read that w/pool and jacuzzis are not recommended but I like a hot bath (I'm always cold! : ) ) and wonder if that's a no-no too, probably since it's the temp thing, eh?

jampots Sat 21-May-05 18:58:23

you should run Milton through the jets just to make sure they are clean. My jets just come out of hte side of the bath, I know some are on the base which I can see would be a problem though.

jampots Sat 21-May-05 18:59:29

Jacuzzi is the name of a company which produce their own "Jacuzzi"s. Any other bath with jets/whirlpools are not Jacuzzis but often wrongly described as such

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now