Talk

Advanced search

any tips for getting rings off swollen fingers?

(18 Posts)
oliv Tue 03-May-05 08:54:49

I'm almost 39 weeks and stupidly didn't take my wedding ring off because I wasn't getting any swelling. And now I am! And it's not v comfortable. I've tried vaseline and soap but forcing it just makes the knuckle swell even more. Anyone got any brilliant ideas? Or will I have to put up with it?

Evesmama Tue 03-May-05 09:03:10

put your hands in the freezer(kep them attatched to your arms obviously!) for as long as you can, my fingers always 'shrink' when they are cold???

oliv Tue 03-May-05 09:08:57

ooh, I'll try that. I've just tried putting my finger in a glass of ice water but didn;t seem to work ...

SoupDragon Tue 03-May-05 09:21:16

Does holding your hand in the ari make it less puffy? I vaguely rememebr that mine used toget puffier when hanging down so maybe up will make it easier to remove your ring?

mears Tue 03-May-05 09:23:23

Washing up liquid rubbed on directly may make it slip off.

mumfor1sttime Tue 03-May-05 09:23:43

I used ky jelly to remove mine!!!!

mears Tue 03-May-05 09:26:47

Removing a Ring from a Swollen Finger
When a finger on which a ring is being worn is injured or becomes swollen, it is usually best to remove the ring as soon as possible. This can sometimes be done by using a lubricant (eg, soap, olive oil, or antibacterial ointment). One alternative is to cut the ring off, if a cutter is available and the ring is not of great sentimental or financial value. It is possible to remove a ring intact from a moderately swollen finger using the following technique:

Elevate the hand for several minutes to drain as much venous blood as possible.
Lubricate the ring and the finger.
With the hand still elevated, wrap the finger from the distal to the proximal end with fine twine, packing string, or dental floss. This compresses the swelling out of the finger temporarily.
When you get to the ring, pass the end of the string under the ring (you may have to push it through with a toothpick or similar object) and begin to unwind. The ring will slowly be advanced by the string until it passes over the proximal interphalangeal joints (PIP) and can be removed.
Source: Postgraduate

Mosschops30 Tue 03-May-05 09:27:04

Message withdrawn

oliv Tue 03-May-05 09:29:24

good plan! did it hurt though? I manage to get to the knuckle then it gets really painful and I have to stop - how will I cope with labour??! there's no risk of having to have it cut off if i don't manage, is there?

oliv Tue 03-May-05 09:30:34

mears, that sounds terrifying!

mears Tue 03-May-05 09:43:32

I cut and pasted it so the language is a bit scary.

In easier words, wrap dental floss round your finger from the tip up to the ring. Slip the floss under the ring (usually there is a space underneath the finger. Unwind floss and as it unwinds it will bring the ring with it.
I have seen this work. If it does not come off you will need to consider getting it cut off as it will swell more.

hoxtonchick Tue 03-May-05 09:46:49

having rings cut off sounds much worse than it is. doesn't hurt at all. and they are easily welded (?) back together. though i can appreciate that your wedding ring has a lot of sentimental value.

oliv Tue 03-May-05 09:50:14

do you think so - even if there's only a week or so left? i can still turn it on the finger ... really don't want have it cut off

mears Tue 03-May-05 09:55:19

oliv - if you can turn it you should be able to get it off. Worth tryingh the dental floss. The danger is that your finger could swell more (even in a week) which could restrict the circulation then mean it has to get cut off.

Have you tried washing up liquid and pushing the ring firmly upwards at the back to get it to slip over the knuckle rather than just pulling?

mears Tue 03-May-05 09:55:54

Remember pregnancies can last 42 weeks so it could be another 3 weeks!!

oliv Tue 03-May-05 10:11:43

Done it!!! the threat of having it cut off (it's quite a posh one and a present from dh) helped me get over the pain. the dental floss thing almost worked but made a lower bit swell up too much to get it over. in the end the secret was ice water, elevation and liquid soap. thanks so much for the tips!

mears Tue 03-May-05 10:16:25

That's good oliv - sounds as though it definately needed to come off. Just wear it on a chain round your neck

Evesmama Tue 03-May-05 10:45:23

glad about that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now