Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I think my waters may be leaking, I am 30+2, should I worry?

(14 Posts)
insertwittynicknameHERE Sun 10-May-09 09:16:41

It's been one thing or another with this pg.

I thought I felt a little trickle a couple of days ago (was on my hands and knees tidying DD's bomb site up grin) but because it never happened again I didn't think anymore of it.

But I have just woken up and I have a massive wet patch blush but it's not wee, it smells sweet and nothing like wee.
<disclosure, not that I go round smelling what wee smells like lol>

I have put a pad on and I can feel it every so often, like a little trickle.

Is it normal at this stage?, never had it with DD!!

oopsacoconut Sun 10-May-09 09:19:34

You need to ring your midwife or Delivery suite - get it checked out just to be onthe safe side. It may well be nothing but please get ti checked.

Longtalljosie Sun 10-May-09 09:32:39

I agree - it could just be discharge, but if it is amniotic fluid you need a doctor.

Lemontart Sun 10-May-09 09:33:03

I totally agree with oopsacoconut. If you have not informed your mw already, I think you should give them a ring today and keep them up to date. If the pad is fairly wet, I am sure they can test it to see if it is wee or your waters leaking and can also check to see if your cervix is still closed and how much fluid is still around the baby.

Any other symptoms, like pains or high temp, go get them checked out straight away. Don’t wait, just go to your delivery suite.

Hopefully this is nothing to worry about but so much better to go bet it checked for peace of mind.

insertwittynicknameHERE Sun 10-May-09 10:08:34

Thank you.

I will give my midwife a call, I am up at the hospital later on anyway to visit my dad so I will go a little earlier and pop to see them if they feel I need to.

thanks.

Owlingate Sun 10-May-09 11:27:56

Hope things go ok - just to add don't let them do a manual internal exam - increases risk of infection if your waters are going but you aren't in proper labour iyswim. They should do a speculum exam instead. And take swabs to check for infection. Also, if they should really do a scan as well to check the levels of fluid around the baby. Finally if they think your waters are going they should give you antibiotics and think about steriod injections for the baby's lungs. This is not to worry you - there just seems to be a wide variance in what hospitals do in these circs.

Lemontart Mon 11-May-09 19:02:33

just checking in and wondering how you got on there - hope everything is ok x

insertwittynicknameHERE Tue 12-May-09 06:48:20

I rang the midwife and she basically said not to worry, so I didn't and have put it to the back of my mind.

The leaking has stopped and TBH only when it did happen (apart from the wet patch I had one morning) it was only trickles IYSWIM.

I did however pop in to the ADU yesterday (was visiting my dad in CCU) as I have had a lot of pain in my lower tummy on the left side. It got to the point that I was struggling to walk. my groin and hips and lower back are extremely achy. Also had reduced movements.

Lucky for me they could see me and sent me up on the ward to be monitored, when I told them about the trickles of clear fluid they swabbed me and took samples of wee to be sent off to check for infection.

The pain lessened and baby started moving again so they allowed me to come home but I have got to ring if I have any more leaking and pain.

insertwittynicknameHERE Tue 12-May-09 06:48:48

Thanks for asking by the way I appreciate it smile

Lemontart Wed 13-May-09 12:26:07

Glad to read that your mw was not too worried and that you have been swabbed and checked for infection. What a relief that the reduced movements and pain have stopped. Must have been a pretty horrid experience all round.
Sorry to read your dad is in CCU - what a time you are having!
Not long to go now before this baby arrives and all the pregnancy worries will be put behind you once and for all
tc xx

dannismells Sun 21-Jun-09 20:33:06

Hi Ladies,
Im new to mumsnet as i was searching about waters leaking my waters broke at 32+2, i phoned the midwife and she told me to go to hospital to be checked out, i went and they told me my cervix was open and took some swabs and some bloods and kept me in for monitoring for 3 days, i now have to go to ANDU twice a week for monitoring bloods and swabs to ensure there is no infection, i also have to have scans every 3 weeks and they are going to induce me early, hope this helps people who need advice on what to do if they think thier wates have broken, the liquid im losing is clear and doesnt have a smell and if the docs ask if you are sure your not wetting yourself tell them your not stupid you know the difference as they have tried to tell me im wetting myself.

Hope ive not bored you all to death xxxx

insertwittynicknameHERE Mon 22-Jun-09 19:54:39

dannismells welcome to MN smile

Thank you for your reply. It has only happened a couple of times since and have been in both times for swabs, and my cervix was closed both times.

I have had water infections (one after another) in this pg and I wonder if it vould be related at all??

Anyway only got a little over 3 weeks to go now so looking for any little sign that things are moving on grin

ladylush Sat 27-Jun-09 14:42:48

hi, my waters broke a few days ago when I was 27+5 weeks pg. I was admitted for 3 days, had blood tests and a swab and baby was monitored (CTG) a couple of times a day.I also had blood pressure, temperature and pulse checked 4 times a day. My cervix was closed when I was examined. I am now at home and have been advised to check for any changes in colour of fluids and to check my temperature times a day. I would advise you to check your temperature periodically as leaking fluids increases your risk of an infection. On a positive note, at least you are past 30 weeks and the prognosis is good at that stage of gestation.

dannismells Tue 07-Jul-09 22:52:29

hi ladies im still plodding along after my waters broke 4 weeks ago with no signs of going into labour, my consultant is going to decide when to induce me on my next appointment which is good as im getting really fed of keep going to the hospital twice a week hope your all getting on ok xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now