Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

abnormal growth of baby @ 12 wks...what does this mean?

(21 Posts)
lilsmum Mon 02-May-05 21:51:41

if at a 12 week scan, the sac was the right gestation but the baby was small(for the dates)?

what would this mean? could it mean there may be problems with the baby?

(asking for a friend)

tia

lilsmum Mon 02-May-05 21:57:53

anyone? please

lilsmum Mon 02-May-05 22:21:27

bump

Toothache Mon 02-May-05 22:24:55

Oh I just posted something and its not here!!

Just posting so you don't feel ignored... I'm sure some wise Mumsnetter will be able to offer advice.

lilsmum Mon 02-May-05 22:27:49

thanks toothache! xx

ladymuck Mon 02-May-05 22:29:22

It doesn't necessarily mean anything - it is just one factor that the doctors would note, and would probably mean that they would monitor the baby (by further scans).

It could indicate that there might be a problem, but presumably everything else was OK on the scan?

lilsmum Mon 02-May-05 22:31:06

LM.... i think everything else was ok, well my friend didnt mention anything else anyway

lilsmum Tue 03-May-05 22:30:48

bumping for mears..if she around

lilsmum Tue 03-May-05 22:39:04

bump again, feel bad not being able to tell my friend anything as such, have done a search on google to no avail

JenJam Tue 03-May-05 23:06:11

what does bump mean?

lilsmum Tue 03-May-05 23:07:22

it puts the thread back up to the top of active convo's

Katemum Tue 03-May-05 23:09:57

I really don't know anything at all, but am thinking that they would need to check her again fairly soon to see if the baby was growing ok. Maybe it will always be a small baby. Hopefully the heartbeat and blood flow all appeared fine? Hope there is someone around who can help. Is dd doing ok with her cast?

lilsmum Tue 03-May-05 23:14:45

thanks katesmum yeah i think everything else was ok, friend just a bit worried to be expected really, so i said i would ask on here.

dd is great running around like a loony, if you didnt look at her leg, you wouldnt think she had one on, she will prob be lob-sided again when the cast comes off lol

xx

aloha Tue 03-May-05 23:14:56

Could - and probably does - mean absolutely zilch. At one point (can't remember when exactly) I was told my baby was small for dates and was v worried ...she's now 12 weeks (today!), bursting with health and around the 91st centile! The foetus is so weeny at this stage a tiny error in scanning can seem to make a huge difference.

lilsmum Tue 03-May-05 23:24:31

thanks aloha i will tell her. x

mears Tue 03-May-05 23:28:46

Seems strange to have measured the sac to date the pregnancy - at 12 weeks it is the fetus that is measured for gestation. Your friend may have not picked the sonographer up properly. If the baby seems small it may be that the dates are not tallying up with the scan at this stage.
I would not expect that there would be anything wrong with the baby. Has she been given a date for a rescan to confirm gestation of pregnancy? If not, then the sonographer has no concerns. HTH.

lilsmum Tue 03-May-05 23:33:33

dont know tbh mears, friend was upset as their words were...the sac looks the correct size but the baby looks small in comparison, can the sac be all different sizes then? does the size of that not really matter?

thanks for the advice

lilsmum Tue 03-May-05 23:34:45

just to add... i think what she is worried about is if there is something "wrong" with the baby, she didnt mention about them having booked another scan, i will find out

mears Tue 03-May-05 23:41:34

TBH at 12 weeks the sac size isn't relevant. It is the measurements of the baby.

lilsmum Tue 03-May-05 23:42:33

ok, thanks for that mears

samwifewithkid Wed 04-May-05 21:37:13

when my SIL had a missed miscarriage, the sac was the right size for a 12 week pregnancy but the foetus inside was just a bunch of cells in the corner. So in comparison the sac was bigger and because it had carried on growing her body was holding on to the pregnancy. I do think there could be something in this, but I don't know what. If your friend is worried I would get her to book another scan appt, if they haven't done so already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now