Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Silly question... were you bigger earlier second time round??

(19 Posts)
99redballoons Mon 02-May-05 17:01:07

Hi all, this is a very silly question, but I just don't know if this is normal or not or if I've been pigging out too much too early on!!

I am 14wks pg and am just starting to show above my pubic bone, but all of a sudden I look like I'm more 6 months pg than 3.5! Before I became pg I was of normal build, the right weight for my height (still am!). I don't know if it's cos I've got excess skin around my belly from my first pg (sorry if tmi!) and my womb is pushing things up and there's plenty of space for things to settle in second time round... or if it's just fat! My belly only feels 'firm' a few inches above the bone and am guessing this is my womb. (Still haven't had my first midwife appt - so crap!)

A couple of my friends are just the same and seem much bigger earlier on in their pg second time round.. so is there just more room in there once you've had one pg? It's so embarrassing looking so big so early, especially when it's all 'soft'!

basketcase Mon 02-May-05 17:07:46

definitely bigger earlier on. I think once those muscles are stretched once, unless you are a fitness fanatic it is almost inevitable that you show earlier.
Have you had a scan? not expecting twins are you?

99redballoons Mon 02-May-05 17:27:33

Hi basketcase

Had a scan at 6.5wks as I thought I might be m/c, but saw the hearbeat then, so pretty sure it's just one. Slow gp and midwives mean my booking in appt isn't for two more weeks! Still no scan date......

SenoraPostrophe Mon 02-May-05 17:33:25

yes. It's a bit like blowing up a balloon for the second time.

ds kicked harder too - presumably because he had more room to move in there!

BROWNY Mon 02-May-05 17:33:38

Congratulations 99redballoons, just wanted to tell you that I showed much quicker with my second pregnancy than my first, I think basketcase is right when she said that once those stomach muscles are stretched it's to be expected that bump appears sooner. With my fourth pregnancy I was showing at 9 weeks pregnant but everyone said how neat my bump with just one week to go until ds was born!.
Hope you have a happy pregnancy with no horrible niggles and funny dreams!!

zippy539 Mon 02-May-05 17:34:30

I was huge later on with DS (number one) but took ages to show early on. With DD, I took the pregnancy test and instantly looked 6mths gone . Have to say though, that it all evened out in the end, I got huge to start with second time round but by about 6 months I stayed put and ended up, at nine months, smaller than with DS.

debs26 Mon 02-May-05 17:34:38

you do show earlier. with ds3 people guessed when i was about 10 weeks - i normally dont tell people before 12 weeks. a mum at ds1s old school was on her NINTH!!! and showed at about 4 weeks. she wasnt fat, just stretchier muscles i think

99redballoons Mon 02-May-05 17:46:26

Hi all, thanks for the comments. Makes me feel much better! My first sounds just like zippy's and ds was 8lb14 on arrival! AND a neat little (well, big!) bump too, Browny. I just feel like a 'fake' as I know it's not 'bump' yet, but just my organs shifting about!! Just tried on the old maternity clothes this weekend and boy do they make you look even bigger

moimoog Mon 02-May-05 18:12:37

hi, im on my 3rd pregnancy and im 7 weeks and im showing and my boobs are swollen aswell, my previous pregnancies were both the same, didnt show until i was 5/6 months gone

jessicasmummy Mon 02-May-05 20:02:47

im 15 weeks 2nd time around and im huge already! a friend of mine is due 2 weeks before me and looks ready to drop!!!

eidsvold Mon 02-May-05 22:17:40

Definitely but no2 was 9lb 7oz compared to no1 6lb 1/2oz. at about 17 weeks I was as big with no2 as I was when no1 was due.

paolosgirl Mon 02-May-05 22:34:23

No - both times I stayed exactly the same shape, but just looked like I'd swallowed a football. Ds was first, and he was definitely bigger than dd. Don't think it necessarily follows that the second is always bigger.

rickman Mon 02-May-05 22:37:11

Message withdrawn

paolosgirl Mon 02-May-05 22:54:37

Rickman!!

AngelCakeUmm Mon 02-May-05 23:01:14

6 weeks rickman? OMG how big were you at the end and how much did your ds weigh?

Now i am scared of having another as i could barely walk with my first when i was at full term! and he weighed 7lb 14ozs and was 10 days late

rickman Mon 02-May-05 23:02:29

Message withdrawn

dramaqueen72 Mon 02-May-05 23:30:08

oh yes, thankyou rickman, thank god its not just me, i am nearly seven wks pg with number four (sixth pg tho) and SHOW
my intestines/essential inside bits have moved up and are under my ribs (noticeably) and my lower tummy, well theres no sucking that in anymore........ its quite scary.

GBSbaby Tue 03-May-05 13:46:59

So pleased it's not just me then! I'm 4 months pregnant in my 2nd pregnancy and look bigger than I did at 5 months last time. A bit hard to keep quiet about it until the 11 week scan! I'm going to be moving into maternity clothes very soon!

Leesa

99redballoons Tue 03-May-05 16:28:05

Hi all. Feeling much better about things now after reading all your posts and even dared to put the maternity jeans on today.... feel sooooo much better... nothing like over the bump clothes (even if bump is mainly intestines at the mo!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now