Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can you have a false positive with a pregnancy test?

(28 Posts)
alexpolismum Tue 28-Apr-09 12:49:39

Well the title says it all really. If you get a positive test, can it be a false result?

I know you can have a false negative, because I did last time and it turned out I was nearly 3 months pregnant! (breastfeeding and no period, which is why I didn't notice before).

The thing is I'm not sure if it works both
ways - can you have a false positive?

cazboldy Tue 28-Apr-09 12:50:43

dont think so.....

madwomanintheattic Tue 28-Apr-09 12:51:06

unlikely. lol.

is that good or bad?

MarlaSinger Tue 28-Apr-09 12:51:32

Not really - unless it is an evaporation line but they are usually grey I think.

Ewe Tue 28-Apr-09 12:51:59

No you can't get a false positive but you can get an evaporation line. Did you check test within ten mins?

alexpolismum Tue 28-Apr-09 12:52:58

good, I wanted to have 3 children anyway!

I've just done a test, and it has a rather faint line, but it's definitely there!

alexpolismum Tue 28-Apr-09 12:54:15

yes, I checked the test in the right time frame

It looks like I'd better make an appointment with the doctor soon then!

cazboldy Tue 28-Apr-09 13:01:26

congratulations grin

ceebie Tue 28-Apr-09 13:18:29

Hi alexpolismum, the circumstances whereby you might get a false positve should be outlined on the leaflet that comes with the pregnancy test kit. I think these circumstances are most rare (unlike false negative which can be quite common) - so I'm sure you are pregnant! Congratulations!

madwomanintheattic Tue 28-Apr-09 13:29:33

congrats!

hannahlouiseb Wed 29-Apr-09 15:41:21

Hello,I dont really know where to start..I have taken 5 tests blush just because i wanted to make sure the first 4 were right! some of the lines were pale and others not so pale. Im abit confused am i pregnant? I mean i think i am its just the shade of the line that is giving me doubts... Any help would be much appreciated....

alana39 Wed 29-Apr-09 16:08:06

Doesn't matter how dark the line is - if it's there within th etime frame on the instructions then it's positive. Depending on the time of day / how much you have drunk you will have different concentrations of hcg in your urine which is why it can look different each test, even on the same brand of pregnancy test. So yes it sounds like you're pregnant!

hannahlouiseb Wed 29-Apr-09 16:10:14

The last 1 i did was first thing this morning it was a dark line.

HoopDeDoo Wed 29-Apr-09 16:10:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lazylion Wed 29-Apr-09 16:17:48

The test that has a cross instead of two lines for a positive is known for false positives. I think this is the cheaper version of clearblue (not digital). I got one and phoned the manufacturers who apologised & sent me a digital replacement. I hope yours isn't one of these.

deanychip Wed 29-Apr-09 16:19:42

me too i had a positive, two in fact..then came on my period 3 days late.

twas most odd.

alexpolismum Wed 29-Apr-09 20:08:31

Well, just to update (and thanks for the responses and congratulations) mine has been confirmed by the doctor. Definitely pregnant. smile

liahgen Wed 29-Apr-09 20:21:07

deany, that was most certainly a very early miscarriage. sad

Almost impossible under normal circs to get false pos.

Congrats alex

bringonthetrumpets Wed 29-Apr-09 20:21:20

sorry to hijack but question for alexpolismum

did you have any symptoms with breastfeeding and being pregnant?

alexpolismum Wed 29-Apr-09 20:27:34

Not really. Or not until I got to the third month and started feeling dizzy going up stairs (this happened with my first pregnancy).

I didn't get sore breasts/ nipples. In fact the whole pregnancy was great, no morning sickness, generally felt better all round. However, this probably had nothing to do with breastfeeding!

alexpolismum Wed 29-Apr-09 20:31:57

bringonthetrumpets - are you breastfeeding and think you might be pregnant?

Gillyan Wed 29-Apr-09 20:33:46

No. You can get a false negative. The only thing u should be careful of is doing the early Pg tests as they can show you are pregnant - quite rightly - but the PG may not continue and you have your period.

bringonthetrumpets Wed 29-Apr-09 20:51:08

well, I'm breastfeeding and hoping I'm pregnant! haven't had a period since 17 march and many many BFN's. I'm pretty sure that its just due to bf-ds is 7 months. We're currently TTC#2 atm....

I just assumed that everyone had sore nipples and breasts if they were pregnant and breastfeeding. Very interesting to hear actually.

Congratulations btw!

alexpolismum Wed 29-Apr-09 20:57:26

Thanks.smile

I'm actually in the same position this time as well, as I'm still breastfeeding my second baby. No sore nipples or breasts as yet. Maybe I'm just lucky! grin

good luck with ttc!

HoopDeDoo Thu 30-Apr-09 09:16:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now