Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bicornuate uterus

(9 Posts)
kitkatbaby Thu 23-Apr-09 18:07:11

hello all, its my first time here and i really need your help!

my dr told me at an early pregnancy scan 4 weeks ago (im now 12!) that i have a bicornuate uterus or 'heart shaped womb' (sounds romantic eh?)and that this caries increased risk of miscarriage/prematurity and breech delivery.

is there anyone out there who has dealt with this or who has any advice to offer a worried lady? please help

BlueChampagne Thu 23-Apr-09 20:45:31

I know someone who also has this and has had 3 miscarriages after DD, but all occurred before 12 weeks so hopefully you're all set now! Her DD was delivered perfectly normally. Good luck.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 23-Apr-09 20:52:27

My sister has one of these. She also has fibroids so after a couple of miscarriages, she now has a healthy little boy. It's something she's had since birth according to the literature. There can be different types, some uteruses can be split into 2 sections, others have a slight indent in the top. The uterus is designed to stretch in pregnancy. My sister's miscarriages happened really early on (5 and 7 weeks IIRC). She did deliver early through a cesarean section as her blood pressure was very, very high so I'm not sure if this was related to the shape of her uterus. I probably have not helped but it didn't appear to affect her pregnancy.

chatee Thu 23-Apr-09 20:55:41

search in the archives as i know that this topic has been covered before as i know that i have posted before(but sadly am just going out so don't have chance to stay and chat)

Sn0wflake Fri 24-Apr-09 22:13:06

I have one. I'm 24 weeks with my first and I'm having a very easy pregnancy so far. Blood pressure better than when I started strangely. I got pregnant first month I tried.

The doctor said there is some slightly higher risks but in all probability everything would be fine.

My biggest concern is how much weight I'm putting on......but then that's pretty universal!

Try not to worry....it really doesn't have to be a problem.

mishmash2 Wed 29-Jul-09 13:16:07

Hi

I have just been diagnosed as having a bicornuate uterus as well. I'm currently pregnant (15 weeks) and had to have a cvs as my risk of down's was high. They discovered it on the scan yesterday. I already have two healthy boys although my first was prem. My waters broke at 33 weeks and then I had William by c section at 34 weeks but he didn't need to go into special care and is absolutely fine. I managed to get to 38 weeks with Harry so that was great. I do tend to bleed a bit in all my pregnancies (still spotting now). The dr told me yesterday to expect to have another premature delivery but equally the fact that I got to 38 weeks last time might be ok. I have had no problems getting pregnant so that is one thing! Every case is different but hopefully you will get to near term with your current pregnancy! I hope I do too!

carrielou2007 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:55:51

Another one here, I have two big 'horns' apparantly. Had 2 MC before dd. Dd was lying on a diagonal rather than transverse and back to back but no-one thought due to the bi had anyting to do with it.

I kept saying at every appointment about it but no-one was the slightest bit bothered. Everything I had read said I would need a c section but 9lb 6 (ouch!!) naturally.

Expecting again and again no-one is batting an eyelid!!

Good luck xx

Sn0wflake Wed 29-Jul-09 19:25:46

I am now 37 weeks and everything proceeding smoothly.

Snowflake

Horsiemummy Thu 30-Jul-09 20:33:25

My SIL has one apparently.

she had a trouble free pregnancy and no history of miscarriage. it was not detected tho and she ended up with an emergency c- section as the contractions wernt pushing baby in the right direction!!. but both were fine.

now pg again. she is not worried although will prob need c-section again.

Good luck & best wishes

A.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now