Talk

Advanced search

My scan - will I know in 1 week if baby has grown and therefore it's alive and everything is okay, or not?

(67 Posts)
Thomcat Wed 27-Apr-05 11:29:00

Hiya

You may or may not know that I had a scan on Monday afternoon, the 25th April.

I thought I was 10 weeks pregnant going from the dates I have.

However I'm either only 5 weeks pregant, or, I am 10 weeks pregnant but the baby hasn't done anything for 5 weeks .

The woman scanning me at the private hospital i went to said the only way to know was to scan me again in 2 weeks and see if the baby had grown or not.

Meanwhile the NHS scan appointment that was made for me through my GP has come up and it's for next Tuesday, 3rd May.

That's only just over a week though.

So will there be a difference? Will I / they know if the baby has grown or not?

Is it worth me having a scan only 1 week later?

I badly, badly want to know what is going on but if the results are inconclusive again and I've sneaked time off work, D has taken time off, just to be told it's still to early to know if the baby is growing or not.....

Will there be a difference in the size from Monday 25th Aporil - Tuesday 3rd May?

hoxtonchick Wed 27-Apr-05 11:31:05

i should think so TC, i think they grow a couple of millimetres a day at this stage. i'd go to the scan. i think if you have an internal one at 6+ weeks they should be able to see a heart beat. also, it gets you into the system so to speak.

mancmum Wed 27-Apr-05 11:32:31

there will be a difference -- my sister has been scanned every week for the last 3 weeks as she has had some problems (thankfully now all sorted) and each week they measured the baby as growing... I wold go for the scan cos you should get to see a heartbeat if the baby is 6 weeks old and that is a very reassuring sight...

RnB Wed 27-Apr-05 11:32:43

Message withdrawn

misdee Wed 27-Apr-05 11:33:19

i think you should go. it will put your mind at rest if you go. if you dont then you'll be left wondering for another week (and so will we)

Cyndii Wed 27-Apr-05 11:34:33

I'd go for the scan just to see ~ you poor girl ~ hope all works out for you.

Gobbledigook Wed 27-Apr-05 11:35:26

TC - I think there'd be a difference so why don't you go? You could go, find everything is OK and save yourself a week of worry.

So hope everything works out OK and thinking of you.

Thomcat Wed 27-Apr-05 11:35:40

okay and I'll go for the internal scan this time.

Oh Mary mother of God, sweet Jesus, the almightly father, anyone who's listening... please, please let it have grown, please. I'm only asking for 8mm or so, that's not much to ask is it? Please.

Merlin Wed 27-Apr-05 11:36:04

Thomcat - I think you should go too , just for peace of mind. Good luck.

Blu Wed 27-Apr-05 11:36:36

TC - I know they can detect the electrical impulse that will in time become the heartbeat in a healthy baby at about 5 weeks pregnancy - 7 weeks since lmp.

I would definitley go to the NHS appt.
It might well reveal more info. If you explain your situation, they may well offer you a more powerful scan, doing something is, to my mind, better than doing nothing, even if not immediately fruitful.

As the NHS have access to the most state-of-the-art scanning paraphanalia (by referral to Harris Birthright Unit etc), I think the sooner you place this dilemma in the NHS arena, the better.

If no new info gleaned, you're only a petend dentist appt from work worse off. If any nre info, you could well save yourself a week of waiting.

That would be MY approach.

RnB Wed 27-Apr-05 11:36:49

Message withdrawn

Thomcat Wed 27-Apr-05 11:40:36

I don't know if they'll know that I went privately, or if they'll have the measurements but I've left a message for my GP to call me agin and I'll get them off him and I'll make sure he sends them to the local NHS hospital as well.

bloody hell, I wish I'd never gone for this scana nd I'd still be flying high on a cloud of joy.
I snapped at lottie this morning. I barked 'shut up' at her I felt so bad. All she was asking was to get off the bed onto the floor! I've never snapped at her like that

What's hppening to me? I'm turning into a nasty bitch from hell, feel so low, I should be happy. I so hope that this time next week I'm happy again.

cp3 Wed 27-Apr-05 11:45:52

Thomcat a week will make a difference. At 6 weeks if you have an intrnal you should be able to dtect the heart beat.

Dont worry about your feelings, your bound to be on edge, its only natural. To wait two weeks is awfull. have you been in touch with your octor about going to the early pregnancy unit. Also are you still getting pregnancy symptoms
xxxxxxx

scotlou Wed 27-Apr-05 11:46:18

There would definitely be a difference - I was scanned weekly in early pregnancy and there were notable differences every week - mind you, these were internal scans.
Can you ask them to check HCG levels in your blood? If they take a sample now and then check in a few days levels should increase dramatically if all is well.
By the way, when I read your earlier post you said that you had had a positive pregnancy test - I think this is a really good sign. I had 2 m/cs both around 5 weeks - I tested and got a positive result. When I tested 2 days later at the hospital it was negative.

cp3 Wed 27-Apr-05 11:47:00

Lottie will sense somethingis wrong so she willl try and get more attention. Just give her lots of hugs. it will be good for you both.

Blu Wed 27-Apr-05 11:48:10

I know, TC, the strain of waiting is a huge pressure. please don't be hard on yourself - Lottie is a growing girl, and there are many times she will encounter people expressing their own emotions rathetr than tailoring their emotions for her. It is part of growing up, and she won't love you less because you snapped at hr any more than you would love her less if she was grumpy and whingey and clingy for a day. Lottie is growing up just like any other child her age.

I was completely beside myself after my scan led to talk of all sorts of v severe / non-viable trisomies, and i know how this waiting thing is sitting on your whole self like an evil beast. That's how I felt, anyway, suffocated and ridgid with misery. So so sorry.

handlemecarefully Wed 27-Apr-05 11:50:41

Will be rooting for you at your scan next week

ninah Wed 27-Apr-05 11:51:59

GO, Thomcat
and GOOD LUCK!!!! x

mummytosteven Wed 27-Apr-05 11:52:34

yes it is worth it, particularly if you didn't have an internal scan last time - in early pregnancy an internal scan shows up to one week more growth than an abdominal one. when I was PG with steven I had a abdominal scan after a bleed at 5.5 weeks (thought I was 7) that was quite dismal - similar sort of scenario to you - then due to an ectopic scare I had an internal one four days later that found a fetal pole and heartbeat.

best of luck.

Thomcat Wed 27-Apr-05 11:52:34

I'm not sure I was ever getting symptons. My boobs were a bit tender, still are a bit but paranoid now and not sure they are as tender, but then I've got on a different bra.
Nipples were very tender yesterday but not today.
Have a low dull ache very low down, womb area I guess. No other symptons but I didn't with Lottie, never got sick. feel a bit tired but then could be feeling tired anyway. I just don't know, is this ache good or bad, who knows? Only time is going to tell really.
Roll on next Tuesday and please God it's all ok.

Thomcat Wed 27-Apr-05 11:53:48

rigid with misery - god yes that's it exactly.

Prettybird Wed 27-Apr-05 11:55:00

You should be able to see a difference - do you have a picture of the last scan and/or the measurements? If so, take them along.

When I had my missed miscarriage, I had a scan on the Monday, when I should have been 11-12 weeks - but the empryo only showed at 7 weeks and no heartbeat. I was scanned again on the Friday and it actually helped to see that the embryo had collapsed further - ie no false hope.

If it helps, my best friend (a GP) told me not to think that the preganancy had stopped 4 weeks before - it could have been, say, only 2 weeks before, but once the miscarriage occurs, the embryo starts to get smaller.

It certainly appeared that way in the 5 days between scans - so helped make the decision to go for a D&C easier.

If nothing else, it might put your mind to rest.

The reason why you'd been told to wait 2 weeks might have been that, if your dates were wrong, 7 weeks is the earliest they can be sure of seeing a heartbeat.

Given that you are not that regular, it could be that you are indeed only 5 weeks.

Nemo1977 Wed 27-Apr-05 11:55:49

Tc there should be some growth difference in a week but it isnt going to be conclusive i dont think. Hope things work out for u hun
take care

Bearess Wed 27-Apr-05 11:57:10

Thomcat, you are not turning into a bitch from hell! You are under immense pressure - be kind to yourself. xx

Prettybird Wed 27-Apr-05 11:57:18

BTW - I had done an extra pregnancy test 1 or 2 weeks before my scan, which was still positive. The very fact that I re-did the test suggests that something in me thought that something was wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now