Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How important is it to have new mattress with SIDs in mind?

(28 Posts)
dan39 Sun 19-Apr-09 21:19:11

Just that really - I know people who have second/third etc children and use mattress again - I have bought a cot off someone I know, do we need to replace mattress or not? It has been washed and she used it for three kids...its a Stokke cot so the new mattress will be pricey. But I want my dd to be safe too - so I am not being tight, honest - just curious re the reasons/necessity for using a brand new mattress every time.

Rosebud05 Sun 19-Apr-09 21:59:59

I was asking a midwife I know exactly this question, and she said that the studies that indicated a higher risk of SIDS in babies who slept on previously used mattresses were conducted amongst a group of military families whose homes and bedding were sprayed with some substance or another (the name and purpose of escapes me at the moment). If the mattress is clean, not saggy and hasn't been exposed to damp or mould, it's hard to see how it could contribute to an increased risk of SIDS, but someone else may know more than me.

littlelamb Sun 19-Apr-09 22:03:49

I have to say that I re used dd's old mattress for ds. It came with a removable cover so I just gave it a good wash and airing and it seems to be fine. Worth noting though that we co slept for the first 5 or 6 months, as did dd, and I wasn't advised to change my mattress iyswm. The cynical part of me thinks that shops just want to sell you more things. The parent side of me can see that it could be beneficial, and the extra money might be worth the extra peace of mind. I think you just have to make a choice you are comfortable with.

swingsandroundabouts Sun 19-Apr-09 22:41:35

If it was me, I would.

differentID Sun 19-Apr-09 22:44:23

If it was being used between older/ new sibling I would re-use. From outside immediate family? I'd buy new.

YesSirICanBoogie Mon 20-Apr-09 15:04:32

I agree with DifferentID but if the Stokke matress is really expensive I'd look into buying a waterproof cover and washable cover and maybe air the matress really well.

littleboyblue Mon 20-Apr-09 15:08:43

For me, I would definitely get a new one if it's been used by anyone else but one of my dc's, I would also only re-use it once and it would depend on what sort of mattress it is, i.e. foam, spring, sprung etc.
I have 2ds's, ds1 is still in his cot and ds2 is about to go into one, so new mattress, but I bought a new one for the moses basket and probably would have if ds1 was out of cot

dan39 Mon 20-Apr-09 17:55:59

Can anyone tell me why, tho? Why does outside the family make a difference? I know it does to your mind (I have been given toys from strangers and friends and am hapy with friends ones but cherry picked thru the strangers stuff and gave the rest to charity...)

It's the safety/risk I am interested in? If no risk with own children then why a risk with someone elses?

dan39 Mon 20-Apr-09 19:34:54

Also - littleboyblue - what would you do with diff mattresses then - its a foam one and has been washed and aired.

HappyChildminderBerkshire Mon 20-Apr-09 20:21:16

Maybe because your baby will be exposed to your house's particular "germs" and maybe is protected through antibodies when you are pregnant and nursing, but someone else's germs might be more harmful? I only say that because my niece had leukemia and the consultant reckoned she was safer at home, where her body was used to the germs there, than at a more sterile communal home for children with leukemia - where she'd be exposed to new and different germs.

littleboyblue Mon 20-Apr-09 20:55:56

dan39 I don't really know blush I think for me, I'd be thinking that maybe a foam mattress would be easier to be put out of shape by a heavy toddler so would be compressed, the same with the springs, that due to the previous childs weight, the mattress would have been compressed in one spot preventing air circulating in the fashion the mattress was designed in, if that makes sense?

My dp wanted to use the same mattress for the moses basket and the cot (if ds1 was out of it by time ds2 needed to go into it), but I refused. I think, because they have said that you should get a new mattress for each baby because a nw mattress will/can reduce the risks of SIDs, and I hadn't got a new mattress, how would I live with myself if the worst was to happen? I'd always know that if I'd just bought a new one maybe it wouldn't have happened.
I know the risk is very small, but for me, it's something that's in my control. If the worst still happens, at least I can tell myself that I did all I could to lower the risks.
I know plenty of people tha have re-used mattresses without any problems. I think you just have to do what you're comfortable with, if you are happy to re-use it, then do it and if not, then don't.
I wanted a new mattress so I got one.
smile

grammyw Mon 20-Apr-09 22:47:45

I have just bought a new mattress (on ebay) for the cot that my younger daughter will inherit from her sister, purely because I know she wants to feel she will have done everything possible to protect her babies (twins due in a few weeks).
But she and her sister slept on a secondhand, from outside the family, mattress, and as it was 30 years ago, were put to sleep anywhere but on their backs, as that was regarded as horribly dangerous.

Jackaroo Tue 21-Apr-09 13:10:51

I have had no scientific evidence for this requirement, but having experienced SIDS first hand, I am replacing the mattress, just like I'm placing the baby on it's back, not smoking, sleeping in our room etc etc etc..BUT, you've made me go back and look at the information, and found the following. I think this is an excellent site, and the relevant info. is at the bottom of page 5.

www.sidsandkids.org/documents/2009_03FAQMarch2009.pdf

www.sidsandkids.org/safe_sleeping-parents.html

Having said that, I will still be using the new mattress, but that doesn't mean everyone will think it necessary. It's just a process I need to follow.

HTH.

BabyBump2B Wed 22-Apr-09 21:14:06

My understanding is that they have linked some SIDS to a mould that can react to certain chemicals so how the mattress was stored and what it has come into contact with are important.

We were offered a mattress by one of my sisters that she used six years ago but she's not very clean and just threw it with a bunch of other stuff (uncovered) in her cellar so I declined. Had it been someone I knew who was uber careful with their things I would probably have used it. Hope that helps!

HaventSleptForAYear Wed 22-Apr-09 21:20:35

I have never heard of this advice in France.

It's true I wouldn't be happy with a mattress that had been stored in an attic or a cellar (I have a lot of allergies myself and can't sleep on old/dusty mattresses).

Why not get a waterproof protector (nonpvc, breathable) - I don't see what could "get through" that to cause SIDS but I don't really understand the whole thing anyway.

Is the UK the only place this is a guideline?

HaventSleptForAYear Wed 22-Apr-09 21:21:35

Ok I get the mould thing (kind of what I was referring to with the allergies).

Do you know how the mattress was stored?

Jackaroo Thu 23-Apr-09 05:39:11

I'm really just taking an opportunity to practise links here.. bear with me......

The last sentences are interesting here

This paper shows that they can't blame allergens in mattresses for SIDS, BUT the line that I thought was useful was that there are

"established cot mattress-related risk factors for SIDS"

Which implies they are important??

Whilst a bit hard work and boring, these papers suggest that a new mattress/or at least one that hasn't any "give" at all, is a good idea:

soft mattress risk

This next one suggests a waterproof cover would solve the problem, as it would protect from lurking bacteria

Here, this is a link between how grubby/bacterial the matteress and how much ends up airborne and potentially in the child's airways.

HTH!

Mellylou Mon 27-Apr-09 20:47:35

I am still trying to make up my mind about this one. I couldn't find any mention of it in the NHS 'Reduce the Risk of Cot Death' leaflet. On the FSID website I found this:
What_kind_of_mattress_should_I_use_?
It is very important that your baby’s mattress is kept clean and dry. Ideally you should buy a new mattress for each new baby. If you are not able to do this, use the one you have, as long as it was made with a completely waterproof cover and has no tears, cracks or holes. Clean and dry it thoroughly. Check that the mattress is in good condition; is firm, not soft; fits the cot without any gaps; and doesn’t sag. Never sleep your baby on a pillow, cushion, bean bag or waterbed.
---
I agree with littleboyblue's comment about it being something in her control, this had been my reasoning when I decided I would buy a new one. However, I haven't bought one yet as baby isn't due until July. I think I'll get the old one out, inspect it closely and clean it and then decide!

dan39 Wed 29-Apr-09 20:28:14

Thanks all, esp Jackaroo! still not sure what to do....on balance I think we will use it.

TamTam29 Wed 29-Apr-09 21:09:06

I thought it was to do with the previous baby leaving an "impresion" on the matress - bit like wearing someone elses very worn shoes. But reading the link i was completly wrong!!

With DS we bought new mattresses for crib/moses basket but used his cousins sprung cot bed mattress as SIL always used a waterproof sheet wiith it and turned it weekly.

suwoo Wed 29-Apr-09 21:20:26

I am thinking of getting this beanbag for no3. Does that mean it wouldn't be safe for him to nap on, as mellyou's research said not to allow them to sleep on beanbags? Hopefully that means adult bean bags, not especially designed baby ones?

tigger32 Thu 30-Apr-09 16:23:04

Hi just thought I would let you know what my health visitor told me when I was pregnant with ds2
She said that from the information given to her on SIDS was that its fine to reuse a mattress within the same family (household) but that it was not recommended to buy/use a secondhand mattress from outside the family unit. I'm not sure though what the reasoning behind this is though.
I am pregnant with no.3 and have decided to buy a new mattress this time as ours is a cot bed so has been and still is used as a bed for toddlers so has probably seen out its best days.
Its tricky for you though as replacing your mattress is going to be more expensive.

rainbowdays Fri 01-May-09 09:53:05

Suwoo - the beanbag that you put a link to has this product information at the bottom:

"product information
Suitable from birth to 6 months
Luxurious soft fabric specially designed to provide total comfort and support for baby when baby starts to roll around
Removable washable cover
Removable harness, so beanie can be used in home for future use
Safety tab over zip so little ones cannot remove cover
Not suitable for naps or nightime sleep
Never leave a baby unattended on a bean bag. Never try to move a bean bag with a baby still seated inside. Never lift a bean bag by the harness "

So sorry NO not suitable for him to nap on.

Beccaboola Tue 27-Sep-11 15:15:04

Hi all,

i've been aware of the advice re: new mattresses for cots etc for a while. We are about to be first time parents and have inherited a pram & car seat from my sister. My uber-cautious husband has decided we must get new linings for the pram and car seat as "logic follows" that the baby will fall asleep in these at some point. I'm trying to find out whether this is necessary or not, and have assumed (though will confirm) that the linings are removable and washable, thus negating any need to buy new.

Any thoughts?

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 27-Sep-11 15:44:28

I would start a new thread, Becca, as people may see the above is from 2009 and assume the OP has found a solution by now! HTH.

FWIW, I would replace the mattress in the pram.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now