Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it worth buying Nursing Bra's???

(15 Posts)
tiggerintum Sun 24-Apr-05 19:48:09

Hi there, I am 27wks pg and need yet another size bra, is it worth buying Nursing bras instead of maternity ones? I'm now a 34G and dont think I can posibly get any bigger and just thought if I did that then perhaps I could use them afterwards???

kbaby Sun 24-Apr-05 19:59:06

Im sure some one with more knowledge will know but I wish I had bought nursing bras. I did bought maternity bras and then nursing ones after the birth and I cant say I noticed a difference and the maternity bra I bought from m&s was exactly the same as the nursing apart from the clip.
Next baby ill be buying nursing bras throughout.

leahbump Sun 24-Apr-05 20:03:22

you could buy some sleep style bras as they cover quite a few sizes!!

I wouldn't recomend buying nursing bras for several reasons.
1- measurements are made usually after the bump has dropped (37 weeks +) so that a better fit around the rib cage can be attained. A bra that would fit you well now would probably ride up your back after bump has landed...esp as your boobs will drag it down!!
2- the measurements you use for nursing also estimates up to 2 cup sizes larger for the milk coming in. If you get bigger between now and edd you might not have room in the bra for super milk filled boobs!!

HTH

if I've not been clear ask!!

PS- I bought cheap non underwire bras from matalan to keep me going last time. You can also buy bra extenders which help (from good haberdashery departments).

Branster Sun 24-Apr-05 20:05:52

i would reccomend having them, especiallyu for night-time feeds, but buy them a couple of weeks after birth

chonky Sun 24-Apr-05 20:06:24

You could try buying some Bravado nursing bras -each Bravado size covers several standard sizes.

bravado

leahbump Sun 24-Apr-05 20:08:05

bravado are great, and there are also active birth ones (have I remebered right???) also cover a few sizes.........

tiggerintum Sun 24-Apr-05 20:08:35

Thanks for Link Chonky, I guess I will wait a little while yet, everyone appears to sell out of my size so quickly!! I'm a 32F normally!!

tiggerintum Sun 24-Apr-05 20:09:29

Whats active birth?

debs26 Sun 24-Apr-05 20:09:46

might be ok, but you never know how your boobs will react so probably wouldnt. i bought sports bras from asda (£5!) for maternity and am now wearing them again whilst not pg because they are so comfy (boobs remained same size thru out pg and bf - most unfair). when i bought nursing bras i also got them from asda as they had really easy clips on the cups and were only £7. added bonus was that they were sold in single packs so i could buy two black instead of a black and a white like mothercares cheapest (ok im stingy! )

leahbump Sun 24-Apr-05 20:19:09

can't find the website.......but they are similar to bravado...will add a link if I find them!! sports style white bras basically very comfy and very supportive!

Lua Mon 25-Apr-05 09:57:59

I can see that it might not serve you later because you might change size....
But, if you are having to buy anyway... you might as well risk it and buy a nursing one. I don't think it will give you any difference in support. So, if you can use later, you aleready saved some money. If not, that's Ok you would have had to buy one anyway....

FWIW, I didn't change sizes at all!

flamesparrow Mon 25-Apr-05 10:17:36

I bought nursing bras while I was pg, but more cos they actually gave me some lift (the basic pregnancy ones had em dangling round my knees). My size didn't really change, so I got to use them right through breast feeding too.

bobbybob Mon 25-Apr-05 10:25:10

I wore drop cup bras whilst pg. We don't have "maternity" ones in NZ. I found them useful after the initial couple of week - I kind of slimmed back into them.

I'm now on my third set of nursing bras as they are fading away.

Chuffed Mon 25-Apr-05 10:41:37

I bought nursing ones as I figured that even if I got a bit bigger when my milk came in it would settle down after a bit and the original ones would probably fit at some point. I got ones that were firm (very) around the back and got extenders during the pregnancy.
I didn't end up needing any bigger ones and they did me for at least the third trimester, most of second and all the pregnancy.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 25-Apr-05 10:44:24

Extenders are very worthwhile, if your cup size has stayed the same, and only your band size has increased. (Worth remembering, though, 34G is the same as, say, 32H, for cup size - if you go up a band size, without changing boob size, you go down a letter, if you see what I mean.)

I certainly found that in later pregnancy, it was mostly my band size increasing, not my boobs so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now