Talk

Advanced search

Does the sex of your baby affect your prgnancy?!?

(12 Posts)
Georgiasmum Fri 22-Apr-05 13:16:34

Sorry if a post like this has come up recently but... does the sex of your baby determine the type of pregnancy you have? When I was expecting DD i was 'told' by several people, often strangers - grrrr, that I was expecting a boy (ha!) this really got on my tits because i really cannot see how a baby's gender can determine the shape of your bump!
However, a lot of people have said that certain symptoms can be excacerbated/lessened by the sex of the baby, due to hormones or something, such as morning sickness.
Now i'm on pregnancy no.2 and all i can say is that so far it has been very like the first, but many people say their pregnancies were different and I'm really interested to know if the symptoms can be determined by the baby's sex, but i have a 'slight' feeling they might just be old wives tales!!
Oh, and I know i could just go and find out the sex of my baby at 20 weeks but DH is v against it so not an option - i'm just left guessing!
Apologies that this is so long!

tweetyfish Fri 22-Apr-05 13:19:39

I found my pregnancies to be very different, as i was very moody when i was pregnant with DD, but fine with DS. I was also hornier () than normal when pregnant with DS but totally went off the idea when pregnant with DD HTH

Fimbo Fri 22-Apr-05 13:20:36

It probably is old wives tales, but I was only had morning sickness with dd until 16 weeks, with ds I felt sick/threw up constantly until the birth and for a week aftewards!! Hate that nonsense about the shape of the bump as well.

Georgiasmum Fri 22-Apr-05 13:24:20

Tweetyfish - I must be expecting another girl then!

Miaou Fri 22-Apr-05 13:24:34

Shape of the bump stuff is a load of rubbish, it's to do with your stomach muscles (or lack of, in my case)etc - more to do with you than your baby.

This baby is extremely active and kicking loads, as was dd2. Dd1 just hiccupped a lot. Just as an aside, I was convinced I was having a boy when I had dd1, convinced it was a boy when I had dd2, and am convinced it is a boy again (due in July/Aug).... so what do I know!

Miaou Fri 22-Apr-05 13:25:44

There was a thread on here a few months ago when people asked about m/s and sex of the baby - very conclusively showed that there is no link! I'll see if I can find it, makes interesting reading.

blueteddy Fri 22-Apr-05 13:28:19

I have a friend who has 3 dd's.
With the first one she had no sickness at all, with the second she had severe all day sickness throughout most of her pregnancy & with the third she was only occasionally sick in the morning!
Obviously, all 3 resulted in girls!!!

Miaou Fri 22-Apr-05 13:29:34

here it is

Georgiasmum Fri 22-Apr-05 13:37:35

Miaou - thanks for the survey that was really interesting! I guess i'll be none the wiser until it pops out! I wonder if gut instinct has anything to do with it? I keep changing my mind though so prob not much use, perhaps it'll be a hermaphrodite!

blueteddy Fri 22-Apr-05 13:46:59

I carried my 2 differently.
Ds1 was all out front,but with ds2 I did not pop out at the front 4 ages because he was lying transverse!
I also felt a lot more tired with ds2, but that was probably because I was running around after a 3 year old!

ambrosia Fri 22-Apr-05 14:00:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

18mumtobe Fri 22-Apr-05 17:57:38

hi

well im only pregnant with my first so can't really say much. people tell me all different about the bump size and shape so i surpose that means it depends on the person more than the sex of baby.
im 35 wks pg with a boy and i had morning sickness for first 5 1/2 months and went off sex completely, but that prob due to feeling ill more than anything else. my emotions are abit wild, like laughing one minute crying the next kind of thing, but ain't been pg with a girl so don't know if would be the same.
alot of people have told me there pregnancies have been different when carrying different sex so maybe theres some truth in that.
so maybe if this pg is similar to last then it will be the same sex.
well hope it turns out as you would like it to.
take care xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now