Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anti-sickness tablets

(23 Posts)
ChaCha Fri 22-Apr-05 11:27:05

My obstetrician wants to prescribe me with some anti-sickness tablets as i haven't been keeping any feed down at all, this has been the case for a couple of weeks and am almost 9 weeks.
Without a doubt they wouldn't be prescribed if unsafe but any thoughts, experiences of these things? ta

Peachyclair Fri 22-Apr-05 12:17:18

Yes, I had these for hypremesis gravidarum ( (what you have I suspect).

They were fine, much better than the drip I needed to rehydrate me before they were prescribed!

What are you being given? Years ago there was a charity called Blooming Awful for people who had hyperemesis. They closed down after a while, but I have still got the info we used to send out on the information line somewhere- if your drug isn't a new one I could check?

But basically, take it! As long as it has been checked as effective and SAFE in pregnancy, then yes, I would grab it now and say prayers of thanks that you found a Dr knowledgeable enough and sipportive enough to understand your problems.

flamesparrow Fri 22-Apr-05 12:19:04

I took them, and have a normal child now . They did make my mouth really really dry though.

ooh, get some Nux Vomica too (homeopathic diddy pills from boots...)... works wonders.

ChaCha Fri 22-Apr-05 13:42:51

Thank you so much

Peachyclair, i'll have my prescription late afternoon so will post the name here..thanks heaps, really appreciated.

Peachyclair Fri 22-Apr-05 19:36:39

Or CAt me, whatever. I know how awful it is to go through- and how difficult to get it across that what you have isnt 'just' morningsickness'.

ChaCha Fri 22-Apr-05 20:03:54

Stemetil...just had second attempt, puked the first one...

Dingle Fri 22-Apr-05 20:08:37

I ended up in hospital and on a drip when I was pg with ds. I had daily anti-sickness injections while I was hospitalised, but carried on being sick again as soon as I got home! At least it helped me hydrate a bit! I wasn't even keeping water down as was being sick up to 15 times a day!

I felt so much better after about 13 weeks, but had still lost over a stone in weight. I gave birth to a very healthy ds og 7lb, 12oz.

Pruni Fri 22-Apr-05 20:09:11

Message withdrawn

Surfermum Fri 22-Apr-05 20:44:35

I was prescribed Stemetil, ChaCha, but stopped taking it as it didn't seem to do anything - but that was probably as I just brought them back up. I didn't get as bad as needing hospitalisation, but was vomiting day and night. Nothing but nothing helped (sorry), so I just used to try to eat things that tasted OK on the way up as well as on the way down. Iced doughnuts were great! Around 13 weeks mine improved, although I was still sick every morning until the day she was born, so hang on in there.

ChaCha Fri 22-Apr-05 20:48:39

Thank you all for your messages. Have managed to vomit yet again so don't think second tablet worked! I am feeling absolutely helpless, knackered and weak. I am a walking zombie. It's good to know you've been through this before, i hope it gets better, i can't take it

Pruni Fri 22-Apr-05 22:56:11

Message withdrawn

Peachyclair Sat 23-Apr-05 10:16:55

Stemetil is what I took, didnt cause any problems so thats good.

Apaprently Blooming Awful site still exists? I know the charity as such 'folded' or at least went under for many reasons but if the site is available read it! The tips on sickness really helped- melon / lettuce, frozen lollies all help.

Flat coke is good for a lot of poelpe too.

I stopped being so ill at 16 weeks, many people it is 12 weeks, some more. Chances are good that you are in for a rest soon though

Peachyclair Sat 23-Apr-05 10:18:04

Sorry, forgot to say, I had anti-emetic injections before tablets to re-establich fluid tolerance.

ChaCha Sat 23-Apr-05 11:41:33

Peachy, i managed to keep one down this morning - I took it at 5am and went back to bed. So far, so good! I have an appetite and enjoyed some breakfast, it's like a temporary new lease of life.
I know this will sound absurd, but with all the sickness and lowness i'd forgotten the happiness of being PG! Feeling a bit better in spirits.

xx

PeachyClaire Sat 23-Apr-05 13:05:42

My dr had some advice for me at the time which I thought was patronising but actually he had right- 'it'll seem like you wanna die, but keep on the meds, keep trying and it won't be long before you're coo-ing over prams in Mothercare with the rest of them'.

best thing to do, go to bed, there's supposed to be a link between HG and tiredness. Sleep is GOOD.

Dingle Sat 23-Apr-05 13:56:49

Chacha, I can remember sitting on the floor in ds's bedroom. He was stuck in his cot again while I was spending all my time throwing up when pg with dd. I suppose I should have felt better in knowing that I had been through it all before and it did get better. But the patronising words of the doctors and midwives, whose only help on the matter was the fact "well it's only your hormones!!" My doctor refuse to accept that I was throwing up so many times a day, with dd, because I managed (somehow) to keep my iron levels up!
Unfortunately, it does mar the fact that you are carrying a tiny, new little life but that will only be for a comparitively short time in the whole of things.

Yes, plenty of rest. Someone else told me to drink cherryade, because it tasted just as nice on the way up!!!

ChaCha Sat 23-Apr-05 14:51:11

Thanks all. Have managed to keep lunch down too (and what an appetite i had) which is great, but am feeling very tired. Will take all the advice and get a few hours in now.
It's so reassuring to know you're not alone..thanks xx

PeachyClaire Sat 23-Apr-05 17:18:58

You're doing really well. Keep taking them and do CAT me if you need any support

ChaCha Sat 23-Apr-05 17:39:54

What is CAT? Sorry to be so dumb, other than sending next doors Tabatha with a message round her neck can't think of what that means

Acronym for chat and text? chill and type? LOL, sorry

ChaCha Sat 23-Apr-05 17:40:40

Contact another Talker, aha!!!
I'm a genius really

PeachyClaire Sat 23-Apr-05 19:54:13

I asked that on my first post... should've remembered shouldnt I?

DOH

ChaCha Sat 23-Apr-05 20:03:08

Hi Peachy, glad you're here, the pills are great, have kept all food down today. It's like my birthday! My mind however is doing overtime, think this is the first day i've felt better since 5 weeks pg, now almost 9. This tuggy, hungry type pain really gets me..did you have this?

PeachyClaire Sat 23-Apr-05 20:20:28

I know I had a lot of discomfort, I think it was just the stomach shrinking then having to stretch again after all the effort of vomiting?

Takes a few days or so to get back, but less time than you think.

Are the tablets making you sleepy? With ds 1 and 2 they didnt, with ds3 they knocked me right out... I think it's a dosage thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now