Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First timers- when did your bump start to show?

(35 Posts)
Thandeka Mon 30-Mar-09 05:54:57

I'm convinced people will be able to tell with me as my pot belly has taken on a more bump like appearance (but am possibly being paranoid- i feel fatter anyhow so I am in the baggy clothes which of course add to the pregnant appearance!). I am only 7 weeks 2days so well aware how tiny it all is so unlikely "the bump" is anything other than too many ginger biscuits and packets of ready salted crisps to keep the morning sickness at bay!
Interestingly I used to be able to suck in my pot belly so I looked slimmer and I just can't do that now and the fattest part of my tummy has moved a bit higher up and has flattened out a bit (so my belly is like a one bucket sandcastle rather than a sand mound!)

So anyhow dear Mnetters when did you first start to get your first bumps appearing?

SesIsCountingdowntheweeks Mon 30-Mar-09 07:14:19

It was around 8 weeks when my clothes got tighter. I felt like I had a definite bump from around 16 weeks but this didn't seem noticable to others. It was only from around 22 weeks that people started to comment. (I had kept quiet due to history of mc).

It is possible to hide it quite well with baggy clothes. Be aware that many people worry about their bump size throughout - I've had times when I thought I was too big and times when I thought I was too small!!

Congrats on your pregnancy and enjoy!

purepurple Mon 30-Mar-09 07:33:18

I had terrible sickness for the first 5 months so didn't put any weight on until I was about 24 weeks and I got my bump about a couple of weeks after

I was so skinny it was pretty obvious

EvieBear Mon 30-Mar-09 08:00:40

I hadn't got any morning sickness, am a size 10 and started showing at about 18 weeks! It takes way longer than you think IMO to get a bump.

brettgirl2 Mon 30-Mar-09 08:12:54

I had my first 'unsolicited' comment when I was 26 weeks (from someone who knew me previously, rather than random stranger).

To me my body started changing at 4 weeks - my stomach was kind of annoying me and I didn't even know I was pregnant. I think for other people to notice though you have to look very pregnant. I just looked a bit fat from about 14 to 22 odd weeks tbh.

SheWillBeLoved Mon 30-Mar-09 09:31:55

I'm just over 24 weeks now and still waiting to 'pop'! The only comments I get are "6 months?! You can't be!"... hmm

To feel it there is no denying there is a bump, it just seems more visible higher up in my stomach - the part above my bellybutton has popped out and is rock solid shock suppose that's just all of my insides getting shoved upwards!

I'm enjoying it while I can though, I had visions of me being absolutely huge by now and I could easily get away with not being pregnant at all in the right clothes. Can't say I'm in a rush to have to heave myself off the sofa and only be able to wear slip on shoes grin

gizzy1973 Mon 30-Mar-09 09:38:13

I'm 5 weeks and quite large round my tum anyway but my trousers are tighter than normal - then again that could be cos i have been eating loads

ChocEclair Mon 30-Mar-09 10:13:27

I didn't get any comments until about 21/22 weeks - I'm a teacher and that's when the kids worked it out! I could tell I had a bump from around 15 weeks but looking back now it wasn't noticeable!

It will come though - I'm now 40+2 and it looks like I have a basketball up my jumper!! (pic on my profile if you want a laugh!) grin

Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

kayzr Mon 30-Mar-09 10:15:20

I was about 12 weeks but I was a very skinny size 8/10 before DS1. But no one but DH noticed it until I was about 17 weeks.

DawnAS Mon 30-Mar-09 12:48:23

I am normally a size 12 and even though this is my first child, I started to show at about 7-8 weeks. Put it down to bloating in early PG, but my sisters said it was definitely part bump.

Always had a very flat stomach and strong stomach muscles, so maybe this is why I showed so early... so OP, you are not alone... wink

The worst bit though was when I had my first GP check at 7 weeks, I'd already put on half a stone!! Only around my middle though, nowhere else!!

duchesse Mon 30-Mar-09 13:31:19

People didn't really start to notice the first time until I was about 6 months. In the right clothes even in this pregnancy (number 4) people haven't really noticed. In fact I am still in some of my normal clothes although have invested in one pair of maternity trousers (rivet marks in tummy were becoming wearing...)

duchesse Mon 30-Mar-09 13:31:46

Sorry- am 20 weeks in this pregnancy.

LadyPinkofPinkerton Mon 30-Mar-09 13:39:01

I started wearing looser clothes at about 10 weeks, but have holiday photos of me at 18 weeks in a bikini and my stomach looks flat, it sued to stick out at night though smile

CherryChoc Mon 30-Mar-09 14:17:16

I took photos every week and the first week you can see a slight difference is 11 weeks. Having said that I didn't show to strangers until about 20 weeks+.

BikeRunSki Mon 30-Mar-09 20:02:23

I reckon it was about 16 weeks. I went to a wedding at 20 weeks and nobody believed my that I was pg! When DS was 3 weeks old, a lady round the corner (I walk past her house every day, and I was heavily pg during the summer, so no big coats) saw me out with him, and said she hadn't realised I was pg.

josephinet Thu 20-Sep-12 17:56:23

hiya wuld like some help i was wondering is der any chnce a bump could appear within 2 weeks ?? any help would be useful

Pudgy2011 Thu 20-Sep-12 18:13:52

22 weeks I started to get a bump, 26 weeks when I finally started to pop out. Bump stopped growing at 34 weeks.

MickeyTheShortOne Thu 20-Sep-12 18:22:16

I was 9 weeks... I noticed but no-one else did really. I think it was about 17 weeks that people noticed. x

Purplecatti Thu 20-Sep-12 22:34:30

24 weeks bump appeared but no one could tell under clothes
26 weeks I began to wear some maternity stuff but I could still hide it under certain clothes
32 weeks you could tell I was pregnant but everyone said how small I was.
36 weeks, BOOM! Everyone amazed at how big how quick my bump has got.

NattyCraig Thu 20-Sep-12 23:43:02

I didn't show at all until about 17 weeks... Even then you couldn't really tell I was pg... Then from about 20 weeks got my bump in smile

MissCoffeeNWine Thu 20-Sep-12 23:59:13

I started to show under my clothes at about 30weeks, got my first comment from a stranger at 38 weeks

Secondsop Fri 21-Sep-12 00:11:01

I am a bigger lady - size 20-22 - and I definitely started to show, and not fit in things around my waist, at 10-11 weeks. I was surprised as I thought it took longer to show if you were bigger. My bump then became very pronounced - to the "people standing up on the tube" stage before 20 weeks - and now, at 28 weeks, it's really becoming clear that i am carrying completely at the front, with no sideways spread at all. So I think it does depend on, amongst other things, how you end up carrying the pregnancy.

mynameisalexdrake Fri 21-Sep-12 01:33:32

I was 16 weeks when i took my first 'bump' shot - looking back on it now though I just look like I had a little pot belly. I didn't get strangers noticing until around the 24 week mark.

PeshwariNaan Fri 21-Sep-12 09:05:49

About 10 weeks! Seriously!! And I'd been so bloated I was in mat jeans from 7 weeks! I'm a size 14 normally and fairly tall, not thin though...

Jocart75 Wed 08-May-13 17:44:49

I am 18 weeks and although I've noticed changes in my body shape, there is no noticable bump to the outside world! Sometimes I'm glad of that, and other times I just wish I could show of the bump I'm so proud of smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now