Talk

Advanced search

Amniotic fluid and eating too much chilli - could I have hurt my bump?

(18 Posts)
charleypops Wed 20-Apr-05 18:22:21

Watched a programme a few days ago about pregnancy (the one with the amazing in-utero photography) and something has been playing on my mind ever since. The narrator said that the baby can taste whatever you've been eating in the amniotic fluid surrounding it.

During my pregnancy, (I'm now 32 weeks) I had a huge craving for chillies and ate a few very very hot curries (phals actually). I am now really worried that I might've damaged my baby's eyes as according to the show, chilli would've gotten into the fluid. Chilli and delicate little eyes don't mix.

I know this is a bizarre one, but I am seriously concerned and feel a bit sick about it.

Can anyone advise? Did anyone else eat shedloads of chilli in their pregnancy??

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 18:23:53

dont' be daft charleypops - by the time it gets into your amniotic fluid it would be a totally different compound from the chilli that can hurt your eyes

how do you think pregnant women in India manage???

dropinthe Wed 20-Apr-05 18:27:39

Yes I did with my first child and he is fine-he does have a condition called Marcus Gunn syndrome which affects a muscle in his cheek that pulls one of his eyelids down when he eats/sucks or is tired but havent been told this is linked to excess chilli consumption!
The program you watched was Life before Birth-I think it was a tad presumptious about alot of topics so CHILL honey!

iota Wed 20-Apr-05 18:29:43

I love spicy food and ate huge amounts of it in both my pregnancies - both my children have perfect eyesight - and very beautiful eyes I might add

charleypops Wed 20-Apr-05 18:34:11

I was hoping I was being daft, and did feel embarrassed posting this, but couldn't help it in the end I had thought that millions of pregnant ingidenous asians must eat stuff like that, but then a waiter at our local said they don't eat anything as hot as phal - it's a Western thing.

I found that show a bit off on certain things too dropinthe.

Thanks for your reassurances

charleypops Wed 20-Apr-05 18:41:04

Blimey - I've just been in tears of relief! and I'm not a cryer AT ALL! Pathetic!

Must be these darned pg hormones.

Just had to say thanks again!

Enid Wed 20-Apr-05 18:44:11

bless. you nutter

dropinthe Wed 20-Apr-05 18:44:20

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! I would love to experience those 32 week worries all over again-Oh, to be preggars again,you lucky bugger!!!

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 18:45:38

... ahh remember it well

.. you're making me broody all over again

charleypops Wed 20-Apr-05 18:48:13

LOL! it's mad isn't it??

dropinthe Wed 20-Apr-05 18:50:00

No,its normal!

ggglimpopo Wed 20-Apr-05 18:50:40

Message withdrawn

charleypops Wed 20-Apr-05 18:57:17

ONE chilli! What on earth were you supposed do with that?! Were they some kind of giant ones I'm not aware of?

ggglimpopo Wed 20-Apr-05 19:03:05

Message withdrawn

moschops Wed 20-Apr-05 19:31:13

charleypops........i just have to extend my total respect at you eating phal........i like hot food and have only managed to eat phal once (beer was involved and showing a group of fairground workers what big girls blouses they were with their madras!!)

charleypops Wed 20-Apr-05 19:45:05

I could eat a phal every night at the moment, but have toned it down (to madras <yawn>) on the advice of my mw as she said there's a tiny possibility of it bringing on contractions.

This thread is not helping - my Caesar salad just isn't going to do it for me tonight!

Oh for a stiff curry and a few bottles of Bangla....<sigh>

rodeo1 Wed 20-Apr-05 20:04:06

Ooh good, did think it as just me, I can't get enough of those pickled chillies on tortilla chips washed down with the vinegar they sit in! I also keep swigging the worcester sauce!

Enid Wed 20-Apr-05 20:06:26

I ate shedloads of chili when pg with dd1 - great eyesight, also likes spicy food. Went off it with dd2 - great eyesight, and likes spicy food. Go figure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now