Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tens machines and active labour?

(10 Posts)
AllieM Wed 20-Apr-05 15:29:59

I'm planning to have an active labour, as I have a disc problem in my back and have been advised it's the best way. I'm interested in a Tens machine but am not sure whether they would work well during an active labour - do you have to be still to have one attached?

Also, can anybody tell me whether they actually work?!

Many thanks!

zubb Wed 20-Apr-05 15:32:52

You don't have to be still with a Tens machine, you'll just have to hold the little box as you move around - or clip it to your clothes.
I hired one for both my births but never really used them so don't know whether they work or not - did distract me for a while trying to put them on though!

otto Wed 20-Apr-05 15:35:27

They have adhesive pads which stick to your back which means you can move around very easily. I found it did help, if only in that it distracted me from the pain and gave me something to do. \

LIZS Wed 20-Apr-05 15:41:18

They are like a walkman and come with a waist clip and/or a strap to go around your neck, so very portable. I used one for ages with ds' labour - he was back to back so suffered pains in lower back and managed on Tens and eventually gas and air for the end of first stage onwards. You have to put it on quite early on to get the most benefit, so that the endorphins build up and then you turn up the levels as things become more painful and use the boost button at the peak of the contraction.

Merlin Wed 20-Apr-05 16:06:39

I used one with DS2 born 10 days ago and managed with that and gas and air for nearly 7 hrs before emerg c/section. Found it worked really well but had to get hubby to remind me to release boost button after peak of contractions!

LostMum Wed 20-Apr-05 20:18:05

I agree with all that everyone has said so far.

I used TENS through 2 labours, one for 48 hours so get lots of batteries! I used it throughout and you can supplement with gas and air and more serious drugs. I think the thing with them is that as the effects build up over time, you don't particularly notice it working even though it is.

Stick with it, and use the boost button in line with your contractions - I found it really helped focus the mind.

Good luck.

AllieM Thu 21-Apr-05 15:56:39

I love the sound of the boost button . . . . !

Thanks guys - most useful! Think I'll be hiring or borrowing one, could be useful for bad back generally as well.

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 21-Apr-05 16:01:58

I had one which I hired from our local chemist and I would recommend it.
Towards the end of labour when things were getting more intense I had it on the highest setting.

When the midwives moved me from the labour ward I realised I still had it on, forgot to turn it off and shocked my hands! DH did it on his tongue when he was testing it out! Made me pmsl!

006 Thu 21-Apr-05 16:18:11

I used one for first delivery and had lots of positive ideas towards it. It irritated the hell out of me and I nearly through it out of the window. Also, sticky pads kept coming off when I got sweaty (charming I know). I think they work for some and not others - just don't want you to be disappointed if not for you. Sorry - grumpy ramblings of 41+1 pg woman!

kate100 Thu 21-Apr-05 16:20:07

I had one and it was great, but make sure the leads are all taped on properly, if you pull one out you get a nasty shock!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now