Talk

Advanced search

what's the deal with cot bumpers?

(14 Posts)
mogwai Wed 20-Apr-05 13:44:30

ok not strictly a pregnancy topic!

I've been told not to put a bumper onto the cot until the baby is 12 months old.

But awwww they're so CUTE! I really want to buy one, nesting instinct and all that. Nobody has really explained to me why I can't use one until 12 months. Anyone know?

hunkermunker Wed 20-Apr-05 13:47:06

"Can I use a cot bumper for my baby?
In the past, there were concerns that bumpers might make babies too hot, increasing the risk of cot death. However, recent research has shown that they have neither good nor bad effects. Take it out when your baby can get up on hands and knees so they can’t climb out."

from the sids website

If you wait till 12 months...they'll use a cot bumper to shin out of the cot with

sparklymieow Wed 20-Apr-05 13:47:28

its because if the baby moves into it, the baby wouldn't be able to breathe, and because they don't automatally move away like you can, they could suffocate. Also could make the baby hot..

bundle Wed 20-Apr-05 13:48:36

can't see the point of them, they 're potentially dangerous and restrict the ventilation (tiny babies have v poor temp control)

JoolsToo Wed 20-Apr-05 13:49:42

don't see the point either.

katzguk Wed 20-Apr-05 13:50:07

we use ours on our toddler bed because DD bangs her head and gets backeyes otherwise!!

glad we bought one in the beginning because otherwise it wouldn't match the bedding, so might be worth buying and putting it away

ambrosia Wed 20-Apr-05 13:52:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mogwai Wed 20-Apr-05 13:57:32

hmm, conflicting opinions!

I hadn't thought of the idea that baby can look out of the cot if there's no bumper, ambrosia, that's a good point.

Agree I had thought of buying one and putting it away in case it's discontinued.

I suppose the point of them is that they are something else for me to cluck over. Am so clucky. Saw a thrush yesterday when I was stiing in traffic. It had stuff in it's mouth to make a nest and was just staring at me. I actually patted my bump and thought "I have so much in common with that little bird!".

Get a grip girl! I'll give the bumper a miss. What was I thinking????????

Sponge Wed 20-Apr-05 14:01:21

Oh dear you do have it bad .
Forget the bumpers. There's lots of other gizmos you can waste your money on.

iota Wed 20-Apr-05 14:03:03

foget the bumper and get a baby-wipe warmer

mogwai Wed 20-Apr-05 14:16:18

I presume the baby wipe warmer is a piss take?

Even that little bird would laugh at the idea..

iota Wed 20-Apr-05 14:18:40

you think I'm joking? see here

mogwai Wed 20-Apr-05 14:22:37

whoa!

I don't have it as bad as some, evidently!

That's hilarous.

bundle Wed 20-Apr-05 14:27:53

banging head on cot is all part of learning about life, risk taking etc imo (not that i'm a meanie mum or anything

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now