Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Quick question - swollen ankles at 41 weeks pg

(12 Posts)
strawberry Wed 20-Apr-05 12:40:54

I am nearly 41 weeks and my ankles have suddenly swollen up massively. Blood pressure slightly raised - has been 100/60 throughout and now 120/80. Should I be concerned about this? Thanks

SkiBunnyFlummy Wed 20-Apr-05 12:43:04

YES

Same happened to me. It can be a symptom of pre-eclampsia. Get midwife to test your blood pressure again and urine for protein.

Hate to tell you this but I was hospitalised coz of this for week before birth. Due to there is a risk albiet slight or fitting which can be danger to both Mother and baby. ( a serious danger!)

18mumtobe Wed 20-Apr-05 12:49:34

hi strawberry

i know swollen ankles may be a sign of pre-eclampsia, so you should give your MW a call to make sure, as its better to be safe than sorry. your blood pressure sounds fine. mine was 110/60 and then raised to 120/80 and my MW said it was still in the normal range and nothing to worry about. have you got any other symptoms like headaches and sickness, with flashing lights in your vision as this is what my MW told me to look out for. also are you experiencing any pains at the top of your tummy particuly on the right side. its prob nothing to worry about but i think you should give her a ring to make sure and if you have any other of these symptoms then please give her a call now. hope was some help to you. hope everything is fine.

strawberry Wed 20-Apr-05 12:50:39

Thanks SBF.
I was hoping that BP was still quite low anyway. I will see GP this afternoon and get checked.

strawberry Wed 20-Apr-05 12:51:46

18mumtobe - what are the tummy pains a sign of? Thanks

Flossam Wed 20-Apr-05 12:53:31

Thats not too high a BP. You're lucky to have got to 41 weeks without your ankles swelling up hugely! But have you seen your midwife? Is it her BP reading? Have you had your urine tested?

SkiBunnyFlummy Wed 20-Apr-05 12:53:51

Trouble is you feel, just fine with it, not ill at all. feels like a waste of a hospital bed, but the nurses really keep an eye on you as can happen quite quickly.

sure it will be fine though, is very common

18mumtobe Wed 20-Apr-05 12:54:42

they are also due to pre-eclampsia, my MW told me to look out for them when i was worried about having the condition.

SkiBunnyFlummy Wed 20-Apr-05 12:56:10

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tummy pains at 41 weeks. could be..................... ermmm.............not sure....................ermmm, could be labour!!!!

QueenEagle Wed 20-Apr-05 12:57:07

Get checked. My sil had actual eclampsia and spent 4 days in intensive care followimg emergency c-section after collapsing with fits at 31wks. Swelling, protein etc was present but mw missed it/dismissed it. Luckily the both survived but touch and go for many days with sil and many months with my niece. She had her 1st birthday this week so turned out ok, luckily.

You should make a fuss and insist you are checked out properly in the day unit if your hospital has one.

strawberry Wed 20-Apr-05 12:59:51

SBF - unfortunately my tummy 'pains' are no more than BH!!!! I am actually praying for them to become painful!

Flossam Wed 20-Apr-05 13:05:34

Was that in a london hospital QE?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now