Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD and 2nd pregnancy

(12 Posts)
babylily Tue 19-Apr-05 14:24:14

We are about to start trying for baby 2, but I'm a bit wary due to SPD. I developed it at 18 wks with my first pregnancy (2 yrs ago) and was housebound, using crutches and a wheelchair and copious amounts of co-codamol for the remainder of my pregnancy. I still have pain from it around OV time every month and know my chances of getting it again are very high.
I just don't know how we'll manage with a toddler if I'm incapacitated... I really want another baby, but the memory of last time is so scary.
Does anyone have experience of this - am I being stupid wanting another baby when I know what the pregnancy could be like! Can doctors insist on you being hospitalised? (I avoided it last time by the skin of my teeth when they realised I wasn't able to eat of drink all day while DH was at work).
Feel very torn. Selfish because of how much my dd will miss out on if I am house/bed-bound for 5 months....

SoupDragon Tue 19-Apr-05 15:47:19

Can't help but bumping the thread up.

sweetkitty Tue 19-Apr-05 16:20:00

Again have no experience of second baby but I had mild to moderate SPD with the first, didn't suffer anywhere near what you did though.

aviatrix Tue 19-Apr-05 21:43:25

Message withdrawn

bubblerock Tue 19-Apr-05 21:55:41

I had it mildly with my 2nd, luckily it was relieved by physio. Is there any way you can afford a mothers help for 6 months to help you around the house - you could get one from abroad as you would be in the house as well so it wouldn't be sole charge! Worth thinking about - would take the strain off you and DH would probably feel better about leaving you whilst he works.

busyalexsmummy Wed 20-Apr-05 10:35:43

Hmm, im expecting my 2nd in oct/nov time and i had spd with my first, he will be 21 months when #2 is born, i am scared also and worried how i'll manage with 2 under two. i would second the advice given already, try and get a mothers help or nanny so that they can help out with your other child if needs be xx

006 Wed 20-Apr-05 11:03:39

Hiya, I had SPD with all 3 pregnancies (now 41 wks and q miserable with it). It seems so hard to limit the size of your family if you can possibly manage.

I have found an osteopath helped a bit, but it really is a tough call. Obviously I decided to go for it, though clearly have not got as bad as you ie I could move but it hurt.

Getting extra help if you can afford it does sound like a good idea - also if your first child is in nursery for 5 sessions then using that as rest time might work - all good intentions I know, that is when I end up ironing!

babylily Wed 20-Apr-05 14:39:35

Thanks for the suggestions.
I've tried a cranial osteopath and reflexology, but not a chiropractor as yet... I still see the obstetric physio every now and then who says I'm just unlucky!
My Health-visitor told me that a few years back I'd have been given a home help on the NHS, but now the funding has gone. We really couldn't afford to employ anyone. My parents live in another country so I had thought I could go there for a few months with dd, but then my dh will miss out.

I should probably stop thinking about it and just deal with it when it happens I suppose.
I think I need to bear in mind that people deal with much worse things in life than a few months in a wheelchair.

babylily Wed 20-Apr-05 14:41:52

BTW - 006 - 41 wks pregnant?! Good luck with imminent arrival!

006 Wed 20-Apr-05 14:47:09

Thanks - clearly I gestate like a hippo. Actually, that is not the only similarity!

Hausfrau Wed 20-Apr-05 14:47:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aviatrix Thu 21-Apr-05 18:50:10

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now