Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

steam coming out of ears trying to fill out Maternity Allowance Form (bit dull, sorry)

(11 Posts)
lummox Mon 18-Apr-05 12:21:30

Are there any self employed folk out there who have claimed maternity allowance?

The form seems to say that I have to send in wage slips (which I don't have what with being self-employed and everything).

I have been paying all relevant NI contributions and am wondering if this is enough for them and the wage slips bit only applies if you have had an employer.

Form seems to send me round and round in circles. Help?

Maddison Mon 18-Apr-05 14:09:38

Hi Lummox, is there anything on the first page that tells you what to send in if you are SE?

lummox Mon 18-Apr-05 14:17:50

Hi there Maddison. Thanks for replying.

No, there doesn't seem to be anything on the form or the leaflet that explains what to send in if you are self-employed - there is a checklist on the last page which includes Payslips, but doesn't say anything about being SE.

If it's not rude to ask - are you SE and did you claim MA?

teabelly Mon 18-Apr-05 14:25:42

Oh Lummox - was self employed so know how irritating any allowance forms can be!!! I've not done one for MA, but the maternity alliance people may be able to help...they have a help line number 020 7490 7638 or you can go on line here

piglit Mon 18-Apr-05 14:30:17

Lummox - I had a nightmare with my MA claim. (I'm not self employed but just hadn't been with my employer long enough to qualify for SMP). They are real sticklers for all the info (I don't understand why a NI insurance number doesn't tell them everything they need to know) and all the forms and then take ages to deal with the claim. I hope you have more luck than I did - I'm still waiting 6 months after ds was born. It's almost as if they don't want to pay us what we're entitled.....

Mirage Mon 18-Apr-05 16:47:35

Lummox-I am self employed & have just filled in that wretched form.I didn't send in wage slips as I don't have them & didn't when I had dd either.All I did was print off my earnings for each week during the period concerned,& send in the piece of paper along with my form.I had no problems doing this last time,so hopefully won't again.

As long as you have paid your NI contributions you should be fine.If I can help any more please CAT me.

lummox Mon 18-Apr-05 17:40:09

Many thanks for the tips. Haven't had any luck with the Mat Alliance yet and have spent about an hour trying to get through to various government/revenue phone numbers.

The only one I got through to was the helpline number on the leaflet that you get with the application form. The phone was answered by someone speaking Welsh who told me (in English) that the DWP had printed the wrong phone number on the form and that he got loads of wrong numbers!

Mirage - I have Cat'd you - many thanks.

k9kuts Tue 19-Apr-05 12:26:45

i to am self employed and had no probs getting ma,as long as you have paid enough ni you should be fine all i sent was the form and i had a reply within 3 weeks .

Maddison Tue 19-Apr-05 13:11:19

hi again lummox - i wasn't se but was made redundant and was looking for another job, i was told to apply for ma which i got no probs.

piglit Tue 19-Apr-05 19:08:59

Perhaps it's just that the office I applied to is cr@p. I've been paying top whack NI for yonks and I sent in all my forms but still nothing.

Gobbledigook Tue 19-Apr-05 19:21:33

lummox, not read other posts but as a self-employed person myself I never sent in any wage slips but just had to indicate on the form which 'quarters' I paid NI for. That was it.

Should be straightforward but ikwym - the form is horrendous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now