Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

vitamins and supplements

(8 Posts)
hippos Sat 16-Apr-05 20:23:15

Hi everyone
I am 12 weeks pregnant and want to know if apart from folic acid, have any of you taken vitamin supplements in pregnancy/ have any sources of good advice - eg websites?

I am trying to eat more healthily but am finding I really just want to eat bland food/ comfort food and I am worried about my vitamin intake.

Any advice would be good - doctors havent been too helpful apart from suggesting green & blacks dark chocolate for iron.

cheers

hippos Sat 16-Apr-05 20:25:37

does anyone know of any good yoga / excercise classes for pregnant women in the vicinity of victoria or North London?

I am told yoga is a great idea at 12/14 weeks.

AnnieQ Sat 16-Apr-05 20:25:42

Suggesting chocolate for the iron content sounds a bit strange! You can buy vitamin supplements (which include iron, if you don't fancy Green and Blacks!) especially designed for pregnant and breast feeding women, such as Pregnacare.

Tipex Sat 16-Apr-05 20:46:08

watch the iron tho as it can constipate especially if you are getting this in early pregnancy anyway. The only thing I took was omega3 caps later in pregnancy. theres lots of threads on here about this, search under fish oils. I used Mumomega from boots.

expatinscotland Sat 16-Apr-05 20:54:58

I take Sanatogen vitamins daily. It was hard for me to eat properly whilst pregnant w/DD b/c of nausea and then acid reflux that resulting in a esophageal ulcer, but she came out okay.

I've been practicing yoga for years, so I just continued in my classes but modified some poses w/my teachers' help.

CharBell Sun 17-Apr-05 13:04:04

I didn't bother and then my GP and my GP friend both told me that I might as well because it doesn't do any harm and we really are guzzling iron at the moment. I too take the Sanatogen pregnancy ones.

highlander Sun 17-Apr-05 16:57:50

NICE do not recommended iron supplementation during pregnancy unless you have a clinical anaemia (ie low Hb and falling MCV). As well as constipation, one small study suggested poorer neonatal outcomes in mothers whose Hb was >10.5 at delivery.

goldenoldie Sun 17-Apr-05 19:15:34

I thought Vit E and C were linked with a lower incidence of pre-enclampasia?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now