Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

feeling the baby move - is it unusal to have felt little at 21 weeks

(22 Posts)
regroo Mon 09-Mar-09 15:15:24

Hi - advice needed, i'm 21 weeks and 1 day today and have not felt the baby kick yet. I think i'm getting little flutters. We had our scan last monday and all was ok i'm just desperate to feel him.

Ivykaty44 Mon 09-Mar-09 15:17:57

With my second I didn't feel much till 21-22 weeks.

With my first I felt lots at 15 weeks so no not unusual - I would say.

Galava Mon 09-Mar-09 15:20:42

We are all different.

Maybe the placenta is at the front and you cant feel the kicks through it ?

Is this your first ? I know with my first it was sometime after I first experienced them that the penny dropped that it was actually movements and not wind !

FlyingMonkey Mon 09-Mar-09 16:40:22

I'm with Galava. This is my first baby and it took me a while to realise that the funny bubbling in my stomach wasn't wind. It's hard to describe but if you imagine your stomach as a balloon, it felt like someone flicking it with their finger. I didn't feel definite movements and kicks until well into pregancy - at your stage, it was just as I have described above.

ohfuschia Mon 09-Mar-09 16:56:30

Hi - I am exactly the same as you, 21 weeks and 1 day and I was worrying that I had not felt much, just the occasional flicker. Then on Sat I felt movement quite often and having read somewhere that 'once you feel it, you feel it every day' was confused because haven't felt much since - think I need to stop reading so much. Have my scan on Friday so hopefully that will set my mind at rest, hope you are reassured soon too - it sounds normal from what I've heard.

regroo Mon 09-Mar-09 18:21:50

Hi all, Thanks for info, yes my placenta is lying low and i did read that this can reduce the chances of feeling movement. I think i'm feeling small flutters/bubbles and it has been fairly consistent for about a week. I'm just impatient and want to feel him give me a good kick. On the scan he was moving around nicely so i'm not worried as such suppose i just always imagined i would be feeling alot more by this stage. This pregnancy lark does not always go how you imagine and read in the text books.

purepurple Mon 09-Mar-09 18:26:36

the first movements you feel do feel like little flutters or butterflies in your tummy

by the end of your pregnancy you will want them to kick less not more!

nika44 Tue 10-Mar-09 19:18:57

I'm 21+3 and wouldn't describe anything I feel as more than 'flutters' - don't think I would call them kicks really.

I did feel more or less nothing until about a week ago, so don't worry. As others say you will feel more soon enough

Boobz Wed 11-Mar-09 12:19:32

Didn't feel anything until wk 22.

JLo2 Wed 11-Mar-09 13:21:13

My advice: Stop reading the text books grin

They make you worry unnecessarily and set you up for disappointment when your pregnancy and labour don't go like that smile

Patchybob Wed 11-Mar-09 13:39:49

Look at your notes from your scan and see if the placenta is anterior (at the front) Mine is and I am only getting a few small movements. (I am 22 weeks)

redflipflops Wed 11-Mar-09 13:43:42

Don't worry - i didn't feel anything till 22/23 weeks!

This is my 3rd pg and I started to get worried reading threads about 2nd and 3rd pgs people feel them move at 14 weeks etc...etc..

now 30 wks and very large movements all the time!

Nekabu Fri 13-Mar-09 10:02:06

I saw my mw the other day and she was asking about movements and said (when I said just flutters) that as my placenta's at the front that I won't feel so much as if it was at the back. So maybe yours is anterior too. Apparently the difference is quite marked between the movement felt with anterior/posterior placentas and women who've been pg with a posterior one have got quite worried by the lack of apparent movement when they have an anterior.

Prosecco Fri 13-Mar-09 10:08:14

I was about 21 weeks when my MIL asked if I hadn't felt the baby move. I was in a panic. Next day I felt it and it did not stop for another 21 weeks.

regroo Fri 13-Mar-09 12:09:22

Hi all,posting an update, still as before having consitant flutters early evening and one night htis week i had 2 what i would call small twinges that may have been kicks. Yeas my placenta is lying low in the anterior so this must be having an effect on the movements. I'm sure i will start to feel stronger movements soon.

redtabby Mon 16-Mar-09 11:25:35

I did not feel anything at all until over 23 weeks, have a high anterior placenta and obstetrician showed me on a scan how the baby was kicking into it like a cushion, evn though I could feel nothing. I had been getting really worried, but then about 2 weeks ago I started feling the "bubbles". Soemone described it on another thread as feeling like someone is blowing bubbles through a straw into a thick milkshake, that is exactly how it feels for me. I am now 26 weeks and have bubbles all day. Still does not feel like kicks really, though.

Poppet45 Mon 16-Mar-09 13:57:39

Oooooh the milkshake bubbles description is a great one. That's what I've had for a week or so now even though I'm sure I've not felt kicks. Wow!
And on the same vein, am I a freak because while I've not felt kicks I've been able to feel where the baby's position is for ages... ie when I wake up on my left side then lie flat I can feel bubs move across to the middle then promptly disappear. Sometimes it's really hard like a head or maybe the bum and the bump is so hard my hubs and sister have felt it too. I'm 18 weeks but having problems putting weight on so I'm kind of bump with no padding at the moment. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Poppet45 Mon 16-Mar-09 17:22:32

Has no one else had this feeling?? See post just below. Eeeek should I be worried?

MarlaSinger Mon 16-Mar-09 17:24:53

I didn't feel much even at 26 weeks - cried my eyes out the night before a scan blush but of course like everyone else I was sick of it by the end!

lastpreg09 Mon 16-Mar-09 17:34:23

I'm 29 weeks ad my baby is very very very active. So active until it aggravates me. His movements can also be painful at times. It is causing me to dislike being pregnant. Does anyone have any advice?!?

vixiemummy Mon 20-Jul-09 11:29:04

yes this sounds so familiar to me i was 8 stone befor i got pregnant- now im 8 stone 1 at 21 weeks, i too can feel the babys position when it is low down, especially when it moves from side to side, but i am a bit worried as some days i dont feel a thing....does anyone else get this? i dont know if it is where the baby is laying higher when i cant? although i have listened on a doppler and i can still hear the heartbeat?

crawley Mon 20-Jul-09 22:41:56

I started feeling my DD at around 17 weeks - just fluttering but by 19-20 weeks much stronger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now