Talk

Advanced search

Newborn or 0-3 months?

(23 Posts)
CharBell Fri 15-Apr-05 21:21:35

I want to buy a couple of things for when junior is born. A few vests, sleep suits and a cardigan. Do I buy newborn or 0-3 months?

Also - anyone know any high street store other than Mothercare that does maternity clothes?

mummytosteven Fri 15-Apr-05 21:23:11

0-3. newborn will be too small if you have a big baby - say 9 or 10 lbs. go for vests that you don't have to pull over the head - that tie up at the sides.

h & m, dorothy perkins, topshop and next do maternity clothes

dinny Fri 15-Apr-05 21:24:13

depends how bit you reckon bub will be.... with dd had to buy tiny newborn clothes as she was pre-term, with ds he was much to big for anything other than 0-3.

Topshop, H&M, Dorothy Perkins, Next (catalogue)

marne Fri 15-Apr-05 21:25:51

My dd wore tiny baby and newborn she was 7lb 8, i found shop sizes are alot bigger than the say.

maisystar Fri 15-Apr-05 21:26:13

i bought 3-6 months cos i couldn't beleive ds could be so small as to fit into 0-3! had to go out and buy 0-3 month ones tho cos the 3-6 were dangling off him the 0-3 fit fine, he was 8lb 2oz.

h&m do lovely maternity clothes.

Flossam Fri 15-Apr-05 21:33:47

I brought almost all 0-3, I was a big baby so was expecting a whopper! When DS came out a very reasonable 7lbs7oz all his clothes drowned him. I had to go and buy a few more bits for him. Remember though you will be inundated with clothing for baby once they arrive!

blueteddy Fri 15-Apr-05 21:40:39

I only bought a few newborn things, as if you have a big baby they will be too small & an average sized baby is out of them in around 3 weeks.
Ds1 (8lb 5oz) wore newborn clothes for a couple of weeks, but could also fit into some 0-3 month bits from the start.
Ds2 (7lb 7oz) wore newborn clothes for the first 3 weeks or so, then went into 0-3 mth sizes.
I would definitely buy more 0-3 mth clothes than newborn as they will be in them longer.
Next, vertbaudet & Blooming marvellous are all great for maternity clothes.

fairycakes Fri 15-Apr-05 21:53:36

i would recommend newborn - dd was 7lbs when born, and newborn drowned her - she stayed in newborn til she was about 3 months old, and then fitted into 0-3. the labels say things like upto 10lbs, but she was weighing about 12/13lbs beofer growing out of them.

you only really need vests and sleepsuits at first anyway - i wish i had listened to that adivce as i bought the entire collection of baby clothe at next, and she was too uncomfortable in trousers and trendy tops! so never wore most of them...

next/dorethy perkins/topshop

fairycakes Fri 15-Apr-05 21:54:13

some of the bigger next sotres do maternity clothes - not just the catalouges

misdee Fri 15-Apr-05 21:55:25

i have some neutral newborn vests u can have for p+p.

Gem13 Fri 15-Apr-05 21:58:06

Depends on nappies too. IME you need 0-3 month things for babies in washable nappies as they have bigger bottoms!

misdee Fri 15-Apr-05 22:00:38

definatly need a larger size if using cotton nappies.

Roobie Fri 15-Apr-05 22:31:56

With dd everyone told me not to bother with newborn so I didn't and then ended up having to go out and buy a few things as the 0-3 months hung off her (she was 7lbs 8oz).

pixiefish Fri 15-Apr-05 22:38:29

dd was 7.8. I'd bought loads of 0-3 clothes and they really swamped her. Sent dh to Tesco for some newborn clothes. Having said that she was only in them for a month or so and I survived with 6 vests and 6 babygros. Hand washing and drying on radiators we managed fine

colditz Fri 15-Apr-05 22:42:57

0-3, cos if they are too big you can whip round for some newborn clothes, (they will only be in them for 3 weeks anyway!) and if you buy newborn and they are too small, it's a waste!

bonym Sat 16-Apr-05 19:51:50

With dd1 I bought 0-3 mth stuff which was huge on her. I therefore bought newborn things for dd2. Dd2 was 1.5lb bigger than dd1 and (at 4 weeks) can no longer fit into the newborn clothes - some have never been worn!

highlander Sat 16-Apr-05 21:42:11

Tesco 0-3 vests and sleepsuits are all you'll need for the first few months. Jazz them up with a fancy cardy or hat for the ageing relatives The Pooh and Tigger sleepsuits are just soooooo damn cute!

We don't have Tescos in Vancouver and I'm completely reliant on my sister sending big parcels

ghosty Sat 16-Apr-05 22:17:08

Neither of my two fitted into newborn stuff at all, not even nappies .... but then DS was 10lbs and DD was 10lbs 10oz ...
0-3 mths worked for about 2 months and then they were in 3-6 months stuff after that.
DD is now 14 months and she has to wear 2yr old stuff.

CharBell Sun 17-Apr-05 13:02:38

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are totally contradictory so I went for M&S 0-1 month as a compromise! Really, really cute vests with snails on them. Felt a bit weepy when I bought them. What a wimp!

starlover Mon 18-Apr-05 11:58:47

I had both. DS was 9lb 1oz and the newborn stuff was fine on him.
He is still in 0-3 now, at 10 weeks and weighing in at 12lb something.

I think a lot depends on shape of baby too, length etc...
I found that Next newborn stuff was smaller than mothercare. DS has some 0-3 pyjamas from Mothercare that are still too big for him!, but he is growing out of 0-3 from Next.

Sooo... I would buy a selection :D

Cooperoo Mon 18-Apr-05 12:09:30

Buy a selection and try to withstand the temptation to take all the labels off and wash them. Keep the receipts and if they are too big/small swap them. Good luck. 0-1 month sounds ideal though!

PiccadillyCircus Mon 18-Apr-05 12:10:52

I bought newborn, only for them to drown my 6lb 1oz DS .

DH was despatched to get babygros that fitted rather better .

softymom Mon 18-Apr-05 12:23:29

Before dd (now 14 months) I didn't want to buy too much stuff - worried about her growing out of it too quickly and spending too much money. However, post birth neither dh or I could get to the shops easily (dh didn't work close to shops, me wiped out by birth) so I struggled along with only 3 sleepsuits - nightmare! So I would recommend getting at least 5 vests (1 pack) and 6 sleepsuits (2 packs).

The other thing I found was that dd grew so quickly in the first 3 months she'd be out of her clothes almost overnight, so again the drama of struggling to shop with extreme anaemia (post cs) to get more supplies - and this applied to nappies too! - so I'd recommend getting both newborn size and 0-3 so you're all prepared (and get the next size up of nappies so your baby doesn't explode out of hers, like mine did when she suddenly outgrew newborn size!). It is also much much easier to put a newborn into clothes that are slightly too big.

Ahhhh. Feeling a bit broody today and this is bringing it all back...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now