Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Labour... When did it start?

(17 Posts)
dabihp Thu 14-Apr-05 12:31:13

Whats the earliest your labour started?

And any tips for getting it going?

Does Sex, Raspberry leaf tea really work?

Thomcat Thu 14-Apr-05 12:34:41

whatdo you mean what is the earliest it started?

I was 10 days late. Tried it all, long walks, rampant sex, tweaking nipples, fresh pineapple, had been on the raspberry leaf tea for a while and was drinking loads of it, had a vindaloo sauce poured over my chicken korma!

In the end on day 10 of being overdue I drank a bottle of castor oil and 4 hours later I went into labout and 6 hours later we had our baby girl.

dabihp Thu 14-Apr-05 12:37:18

castor oil! Oh YUCK!!!

Will def leave ti as a last resort!

fastasleep Thu 14-Apr-05 12:46:07

TC you kept a bottle full of castor oil down? Wow! I don't think I could!

Thomcat Thu 14-Apr-05 12:50:19

I mixed it woth OJ, did it over the sink, down in one. The will to keep it down and get the baby out was so strong. I was due 7 Dec and it was not the 17th and getting too close to Xmas for my liking. Friends of mine and had done it with good results! It was a last resort but it was fine and it really did the job!

fastasleep Thu 14-Apr-05 12:52:06

I'll remember the OJ/castor oil thing for later! I only got to 38 weeks last time, which was very nice indeed! Except for the induction bit and the hospital lol...I'll be terrified if I go over 40 weeks with this one!

dabihp - castor oil really does seem to work every time!

Maddison Thu 14-Apr-05 16:25:15

My mother drank caster oil and oj when she was pregnant with me (i was 11 days late) and she swears it did the job!

Thomcat Thu 14-Apr-05 17:09:50

It does do the job, without doubt. Baby has to be well and truly cooked, husband has to get oil for you. it worked for 3 of my friends and me.

edd Thu 14-Apr-05 21:56:56

A friend of mine took the castor oil with OJ and she had her baby girl the next day, def does work!

Yellowbelly Thu 14-Apr-05 22:38:49

Isn't it supposed to be a bad idea though. Does anybody know why?

Toothache Thu 14-Apr-05 22:45:25

Yellowbelly - Castor Oil is supposed to work by upsetting your bowels. That can sometimes be enough to put you in labour..... or it can just make you really uncomfortable and sleepless on the run up to thee single most energy-sapping time in your life! I think thats why MW's don't recommend it. You need all the rest you can get before labour and you don't want to spend that time trotting back and forth to the toilet unnecessarily. Its not dangerous though... I don't think.

Frizbe Thu 14-Apr-05 22:52:04

I think the Rasberry Left Tea speeds things up, once they get going, as its supposed to tone the muscles that have to do the work! but it doesn't get things going as such, sex seemed to work for us! (it was a last resort at that point, I was hhhhhuuuuuuuggggggeeeee)although dd was 5 days late and I'd also tried Pineapples, Curry or chilli everyday for two weeks...

Yellowbelly Thu 14-Apr-05 22:57:03

Thanks Toothache,
Had just heard that midwives didn't recommend it. But, if it's not actually dangerous then it might be worth remembering. After all, drastic times call for drastic measures!!

Flossam Thu 14-Apr-05 23:05:53

A vote for the rasberry leaf tea here! DS 15 days early and labour over with in 5 hours! Drank it for about 4 weeks. HTH.

kama Thu 14-Apr-05 23:31:26

Message withdrawn

Toothache Fri 15-Apr-05 07:58:48

Raspberry Leaf tea worked for me both times! Ds and Dd were both 5 days early and both labours under 7 hours! I drank it every night for 4 wks.... with the 2nd pregnancy it gave me heartburn so I took the tablets.

It's supposed to work by softening/ripening the cervix. With ds I was 1-2cm dilated for a few days before labour and with dd I was 3-4cm before I even felt a contraction!!! So RLT helped to soften my cervix..... sex started the contractions.

HTH Good luck.

dabihp Fri 15-Apr-05 08:23:21

When can you start drinkign raspberry leaf tea?
I am 34 weeks, is this too soon?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: