Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gender and 20 week scan at St Albans City Hospital

(22 Posts)
Longtalljosie Fri 27-Feb-09 08:19:28

I hear a rumour they won't tell me the baby's gender at the 20 week scan at St Albans. Anyone know if that's true?

thisisyesterday Fri 27-Feb-09 10:59:15

bump

mrsboogie Fri 27-Feb-09 11:28:01

I think the nhs policy is not to tell these days.

Hawkmoth Fri 27-Feb-09 11:30:45

It depends on the individual trust/PCT. Mine definitely tells you.

thisisyesterday Fri 27-Feb-09 11:32:19

agree with hawkmoth.
ours tells too. it's down to the individual pct, not NHS on the whole

Tee2072 Fri 27-Feb-09 12:09:19

Its not even down to the trust, but the individual hospital! There are two hospitals in our trust and one will tell and one won't!

Longtalljosie Fri 27-Feb-09 13:34:29

Hmmm. I know it's not essential to know and I'd be happy with either but I was looking forward to finding out...

paddyclamp Fri 27-Feb-09 15:04:33

Our hospital tells u but we're in the North West..didn't realize some hospitals didn't tell! Why won't they tell?

theyoungvisiter Fri 27-Feb-09 15:06:32

Our hospital changed policy between my booking appointment and my 20 week scan. So all the literature I got at my booking said they wouldn't tell you, and then at the scan they said "as of last week we can tell you". Cue hasty muttering from me and DH...

theyoungvisiter Fri 27-Feb-09 15:08:19

"Why won't they tell?"

I think there was an idea that some people might selectively abort based on personal preference/cultural expectations etc - but I think now that private scans are so available it's become a bit pointless for NHS trusts to withhold the info because people will just get scans/amnio done elsewhere if it really matters to them.

Longtalljosie Fri 27-Feb-09 15:08:32

They say there's no "clinical need", apparently - but I understand it's also a mixture of not wanting to be sued over mistakes (which is just illogical - surely they can just tell you it's not 100% and that would be that) and also the thorny issue of people wanting to gender-select...

I slightly resent the idea the sonographer will be able to see something important about my baby - which I do want to know - and will withhold it from me.

JLo2 Sat 28-Feb-09 20:31:23

I know they will now tell you in Welwyn Garden City (had my scan a couple of weeks ago there), although they wouldn't tell 6 years ago. Policies definitely keep changing and more recently seem to be a bit more relaxed. They did tell me in St Albans 11 years ago and I seem to remember having to sign a form saying I wouldn't sue if they got it wrong. Having said that they wouldn't tell me 8 years ago so I'm not sure now hmm

BlackLetterDay Sat 28-Feb-09 20:45:33

They won't tell you at watford the big meanies, although me and Dp did notice afterwards that the lady had switched from it to he halfway through hmm. Was a boy too, though didn't register at the time.

Apparently Watford and St Albans are in the same trust and won't tell either, tut.

Longtalljosie Sun 01-Mar-09 08:43:12

Righto. Well, we'll see how it goes (and watch the use of personal pronouns!)

brettgirl2 Sun 01-Mar-09 08:58:05

Having an abortion at 20 weeks is surely a pretty extreme method of gender selection??? shock

Longtalljosie Sun 01-Mar-09 13:47:57

Yes, it's a bit hard to get your head around...

Hybrid Sun 01-Mar-09 22:52:57

Hi,

St Albans City is my hospital too and they definitely won't tell you the sex at the 20 week scan.

bhavina Sat 25-Apr-09 13:02:54

does anyone know if luton and dunstable hospital tell you the gender?

madmissy Sun 26-Jul-09 09:29:16

nope they do not.

stevenage apparently do though

MaybeAfterBreakfast Sun 26-Jul-09 09:39:46

You can get a sexing scan done at the Verulam Clinic (Victoria St, St A) for about £100 iirc.

madmissy Sun 26-Jul-09 09:44:49

yes i know but i can't afford to pay that. i found out privately with both my dd's but 3rd time around money is tight.

if i cld have scan at lister rather than l&d great if not then i will just have to wait grin

MaybeAfterBreakfast Sun 26-Jul-09 19:14:39

Lister defintely do tell you the sex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now