Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you'd had a missed miscarriage - would a pregnancy test still show positive??????????

(24 Posts)
quietlycautious Wed 13-Apr-05 10:38:36

Just as the question says really. If you thought you were pregnant but you were carrying a dead baby with no signs of any problems - would a pregnancy test still show as a positive???

Any thoughts appreciated, cheers!!!!

mummytosteven Wed 13-Apr-05 10:40:54

unfortunately I think that it can take up to a couple of weeks for the PG hormone to leave your system after any sort of M/C, so I think if you are concerned it's best to see if your EPU will do regular reassurance scans.

Nemo1977 Wed 13-Apr-05 10:42:53

Qc it can show pos for a week or so after while the hcg levels go lower. If you are worried u can ask for blood tests or a scan.

charellie Wed 13-Apr-05 10:44:11

Same as mummytosteven. The hormone does remain for up to 2 weeks so would stll give a positive test result and you would also still feel the same symptoms as if you were pregnant.

I would go to see you GP and express you concerns. Maybe he will refer you to set your mind at rest.

How many weeks pregnant are you?

wild Wed 13-Apr-05 10:45:58

what makes you think there is a problem qc?
I had a missed mc, cramps and bleeding made me go for scan which confirmed foetus non viable but preg test still showed positive, just means the hormones are still there. I suggest you call NHS Direct, they are very good

quietlycautious Wed 13-Apr-05 10:48:36

I'm 6.5 weeks pregnant but had a missed miscarriage in January.

I've had some stomach cramps but a good old poo got rid of them sorry - thats tmi isn't it!!!!

I don't think anything is wrong but then I didn't think anything was wrong last time.

I'm just feeling a bit low at the moment and being silly - thanks for the info though.

wild Wed 13-Apr-05 10:51:55

you're bound to remember the shock of your mc, especially as it was so recent. Doesn't mean that history is going to repeat itself. I have several friends who went ahead with normal preg just after mc
You are bound to be terrified every cramp but try to relax and enjoy the new pregancy as much as you can Congratulations.

charellie Wed 13-Apr-05 10:52:21

Hope all goes well with this pregnancy. Only another few weeks until your scan

Nemo1977 Wed 13-Apr-05 10:54:02

Qc u know i completely empathise and understand..like u have been getting quite bad cramps and am convinced something is wrong..but we have to have a little faith in our beans hun...take care
p.s. also noticed cramping was related to bodily functions..lol

quietlycautious Wed 13-Apr-05 10:59:30

I'm glad someone else out there is as neurotic as me Nemo, you always manage to bring a smile to my face.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I'm just panicing over my mw visit today and feeling tired and emotional. Probably good signs of a thriving pregnancy!!!!

Nemo1977 Wed 13-Apr-05 11:02:28

aww hun i know u are...thats prob y im not making an appointment with my gp yet..for fear of once i confirm then things will go wrong..lol
Typical hey..am sure all will be well and the mw appointment today will just be the norm of 20 mins of questions...hope its not too horrendous.
What time is it?

quietlycautious Wed 13-Apr-05 11:06:24

It's at 1. Dh was desperate to come but I assured him it would be all form filling in and nothing else.

Have been reading on other threads that a heartbeat wouldn't be developed yet so no point asking for a scan to put my mind at rest.

I did another preg test this morning which came up positive.

Your so stong - I don't know how you manage it. This is me after 1 m/c - god only knows what I'd be like in your position.
Sorry to be a blubbering pain!! Your bound to be going through the mill just as much!!!

Nemo1977 Wed 13-Apr-05 11:08:16

aww hun a lose is a lose doesnt matter how many times. It is too early for hb yet think it can be from 7-8 wks when you can see one. I am absolutely petrified like you and it is to be expected. I think the worst is the missed mc cos u are in blissful ignorance. At least with natural u know whats going on...Am hopeful we will both be fine and have our xmas bubs

quietlycautious Wed 13-Apr-05 11:12:49

I'm sure your right - my fingers are tightly crossed.

We'll have to arrange a meet up where we can have a big xmas glass of sherry to celebrate - or maybe I'll stick with wine

I'm only 6.5 weeks so I guess it's still a bit early for a hb. If I'm like this for a mw booking in appt can you imagine what I'll be like for my scan God - I'll be a gibbering wreck!!!

Nemo1977 Wed 13-Apr-05 11:14:38

aww hun u will be great and we will see our beans dancing around the screen

quietlycautious Wed 13-Apr-05 11:17:41

Donbean Wed 13-Apr-05 11:21:26

Just wanted to say that i feel for you so much qc.
I had the same feelings after 2 m/c then when i was pg again i was terrified then terrified that the worry would cause problems, dreaded going to the loo in case of bleeding,worry worry worry....
It turned out ok, i insisted on an early scan and at 12 weeks...there he was my little bean.
Just feel for you, thats all. Got every thing crossed for you x

quietlycautious Wed 13-Apr-05 11:29:18

Thanks so much DB.

I was told I would have scans at 9,12,16 &20 weeks which should hopefully be confirmed today.

I have tried not to worry but it's just impossible, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Putting a brave face on all the time is just so emotionally tireing, especially when no-one in RL knows that I'm preg.

Donbean Wed 13-Apr-05 11:34:38

Its the only thing on your mind for all of the time though so its impossible to not worry.
You are very lucky to have scans at such regular intervals. Even with my history i had to request a scan at 12 weeks and got the normal other one at 20 weeks.
For me the scans were the only thing that made me feel a little better, seeing the heart beating and a baby in there.
I also had horrendous m/s and embraced every single symptom with gratitude and relief.
Its a worrying time from begining till birth.

quietlycautious Wed 13-Apr-05 11:41:56

My m/c was the result of a foetal abnormality that (if caught early enough) can be rectified, that is why I will be having regular scans.

I can't imagine how awful it would be to have to wait until 12 weeks let along 20

I can't believe that in these situations some hospitals don't offer women more support, it's a hard enough time under usual circumstances.

I think you are a very brave lady

Donbean Wed 13-Apr-05 11:44:32

Not brave at all ive now got ma boy and although i will never forget my lost babies i just think to myself that there must have been something wrong and besides i wouldnt now have my wonderful beautiful adventurous little chap!

Donbean Wed 13-Apr-05 11:47:41

Got to go now and do housy stuff.
Its been lovely talking to you qc.
Take good care and hopefully will speak again soon. x

champs Thu 21-Apr-05 17:46:49

hi QC, just come across this and was wondering how you are today.

ebbie22 Thu 21-Apr-05 18:09:03

Hope your ok.....I too worry all the time but sometime you just have to take each day as it comes and try to enjoy the pregnancy as uch as you can xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now