Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Soooo Constipated

(20 Posts)
loganberry12 Sat 14-Feb-09 18:17:27

Any sugestions anyone? i eat about 5 oranges a day because i have a craving for them i drink alot of water & have bren flakes for breakfast but i am so constipated its agony. I dont go for 5 days at a time. Im 12 weeks pregnant. I was thinking about taking some iron tablets because unlike most people they help me go every day why i dont know, although my doctor hasnt said i need them can it do any harm to take them?

HecateQueenOfGhosts Sat 14-Feb-09 18:19:16

prunes and castor oil!

mersmam Sat 14-Feb-09 18:19:25

An Actimel every day 1st thing in the morning works WONDERS for me smile

stuffitllama Sat 14-Feb-09 18:23:42

Go to the library every day. Within five minutes of browsing you will be desperate. It's a guarantee.

loganberry12 Sat 14-Feb-09 18:24:36

lmao Stuffitllama

stuffitllama Sat 14-Feb-09 18:30:37

logan tis true

i always noticed it then i read an article about it in a health section (Telegraph)!

gwan try it

report back

highrise Sat 14-Feb-09 18:36:41

dried apricots!

HecateQueenOfGhosts Sat 14-Feb-09 18:37:18

oh yes, on similar note, I always need HUGE poo if I am waiting for Tesco delivery!

Order some shopping. Make sure you will be alone in house. You will have the turtles head for the entire 2 hr slot (and the shopping will be late)

stuffitllama Sat 14-Feb-09 18:47:40

oh -- yes -- dried apricots is a sure fire thing the little devils

smartiejake Sat 14-Feb-09 19:00:00

My doctor prescribed me Fybogel orange sachets all the way through both of my PGs. Worked a treat.

Nekabu Sat 14-Feb-09 19:06:22

Prunes (though don't do what I did and scoff masses in one go as it had a very distressing effect!), more fruit (try chopping an apple or strawberries or grapes or something on your branflakes for starters) and lots of veggies.

Princeonthemove Sat 14-Feb-09 20:30:18

One inch of prune juice diluted with some water/fizzy water a few times a day. don't make the mistake of thinking that you are over it when you have 'acheived'. Keep dosing yourself every day to keep regular.

This is from someone who ended up in tears and naked at work on the toilet looking like Daffyd from Little Britian so scared her bum would rupture. It was a bad moment.

cityangel Sat 14-Feb-09 23:51:18

vitamin C helps with iron absorption
so if you're craving both then should help
Has your GP organised blood work to confirm your iron levels...

surely should only take them if needed?

if you do need iron Floradix was a natural alternative for me

*things that worked constipation wise for me*
liquorice
drizzle olive oil on pasta/ dip bread in it etc
plenty of water

Lubyloo Sat 14-Feb-09 23:52:41

You need lactulose and can get it over the counter. It's gentle but effective and safe to take when pregnant.

hotCheeseBURNS Sat 14-Feb-09 23:53:37

I took a big spoonful of linseeds every day which worked quite well.

SobranieCocktail Sat 14-Feb-09 23:56:02

ROFL at the library tip.

I recommend prunes.

tartetatin Tue 17-Feb-09 23:28:39

I'm also a prune eater - a glass of juice every morning gets things moving, and it doesn't taste too bad...

SybilFaulty Tue 17-Feb-09 23:40:24

More water than you thought possible. Keep bottles on you at all times and keep sipping.

Lactulose and Fybogel very gentle (but not together though), plus prunes, apricots, dried apple rings, figs and red peppers. Remember too that you need to maintain this level of fruit, veg and water to keep the poos coming. I have had a very sluggish bowel since DS was born and keep curing myself for a few days and then falling into bad habits. Need to practise what I preach.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ozziegirly Wed 18-Feb-09 02:34:42

I'm not pregnant, but I make myself a breakfast every day of 2 spoonfuls of bran, spoonful of sunflower seeds, spoon of mixed linseeds and sesame seeds, 3 prunes and 4 strawberries.

I am regular as clockwork...

Pinkmarshmallow Wed 18-Feb-09 11:29:23

A spoonful of linseed over my cereal and another in my yoghurt later on in the day works for me.

Hecate... had to laugh...that is my experience exaclty with Tesco delivery too!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now