Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

cold remedies advice please

(8 Posts)
purlease Fri 13-Feb-09 09:42:06

I am 33 weeks pregnant and have a stinking cold and sore throat (infection - green phlegm etc.). What can I take as I'm sure lemsips aren't recommended.
With last pregnancy I used to take green tea and lemon juice but this time I really can't stand the taste of this.

marcolini Fri 13-Feb-09 09:43:34

Garlic?

ellideb Fri 13-Feb-09 09:45:10

You can take paracetamol safely and you could try hot water, honey and lemon, vicks vapour rub and a bowl of hot water stood on a radiator to moisten the air. Lie with your head higher than usual as it helps to clear the airway. Poor you, hope you're feeling better soon.

purlease Fri 13-Feb-09 09:59:20

thanks

Madigan Fri 13-Feb-09 10:53:37

If you have an infection, then you may need antibiotics (certain ones are safe during pregnancy). So perhaps you should go and see a doctor?
xx

purlease Fri 13-Feb-09 11:00:43

Madigan, you could be right. I just try to avoid taking antibiotics as far as possible but now is probably a good time to consider them - I think I will give the doctor a call. Normally I try to just get over a cold with as little intervention as possible - hot whiskeys normally do the trick. Immune system has been pretty good so far - avoided any illness over Christmas when family were dropping like flies around me.

RedHairedGirlie Sat 21-Feb-09 06:49:38

I have exactly the same at the moment amd am 32 weeks... hence the 5am wake up this morning !!

A colleague at work said that her mum used to give her hot lemonade and a paracetamol when she was younger... not sure how effective it would be... tried it a couple of nights but still feeling rough

ceb80 Sat 21-Feb-09 13:27:13

Dose yourself up with paracetamol, hot honey and lemon with some grated fresh ginger. Avoid too much dairy as this promotes mucus production.
For blocked nose use infant saline nose drops (can get in Tescos) nowhere near as good as sudafed etc but helps a little and loads of vicks on your chest. You can also melt some vicks in a bowl of hot water and put a towel over your head and the bowl and inhale for 5 mins (keep your eyes shut!)

Hope some of that helps, can you tell I've had 3 colds/coughs on the trot since Christmas?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now