Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had a membrane sweep?

(11 Posts)
clarabow Sun 10-Apr-05 14:00:42

I'm 5 days overdue with dd2 ( dd1 arrived 1 day late) and my MW has made an appointment for a membrane sweep at home next week. Something about the phrase "membrane sweep" is making me feel slightly queasy . Has anyone else got experience of having this done? How uncomfortable is it?
My childminder ( ex-MW) has recommended the "hot curry,hot bath, hot sex" approach. Still trying to persuade dh though

Katemum Sun 10-Apr-05 14:03:28

I had four and found them no more uncomfortable than an internal examination.

CrazyDi Sun 10-Apr-05 14:45:16

I found them really really uncomfortable!! I had them with baby 1 & 2 and they didnt do a blind bit of good...I know that they do work with some women though..depends how ready baby is to make an appearance I suppose, but I know this time (im 39 + 4 now with baby 3) I will be saying,'thanks, but no thanks'!!

Laylasmum Sun 10-Apr-05 14:59:50

i had one and tbh it was agony!! But i went ino labour about 72 hrs later!!

Toothache Sun 10-Apr-05 15:02:38

I had a slight bleed at 39 wks with dd(8mths). Went to the labour ward to get checked out and the midwife told me I was 2-3cms dilated. No labour as yet though. She gave me a membrane sweep which I was SO grateful for! Didn't find it any more uncomfortable than a normal internal, but that's probably coz she didn't have force my cervix open a wee bit as it was already dilating. I went into labour 48hrs later.

BTW the day after the membrane sweep I was so disappointed to not be in labour that I pinned down DH and we had sex! Contractions started about an hour later!!!

cp3 Sun 10-Apr-05 15:04:31

sil had one last week, she is stilll waiting to go into labour. Meant tobe induced tomorrow but for some reason she wants to wait till Fri. baby will be over 2 weeks late by then

charleepeters Sun 10-Apr-05 15:38:25

i had a membrane sweep when i was being induced with ds it wasnt painfull, slightly uncomfortable but bareable it doesnt take long cant say how effective it was as i has pessary afterwards, i went into labour about 3 hours after so it may have helped. good luck x

Preggars Tue 12-Apr-05 08:56:58

Clarabow, sorry to say, I'm with CrazyDi - it hurt me. I had two whilst being induced for DS1 and first made me cry. Equally, I've had friends have them, and they had nothing more than discomfort.

Best to prepared either way.

Gillian76 Tue 12-Apr-05 09:10:01

I had one two days before DS was due. It was fine, definitely not painful but a bit uncomfortable.

I had LOTS of show over the following two days, then went into labour on my due date.

Try to relax (how many times have you heard that?!) and I expect it will all go OK.

Best of luck!

hellomama Tue 12-Apr-05 09:12:56

i had one the day before my due date. It felt just like a normal internal really but a bit odd. I did bleed for a bit afterwards, but my midwife said that was normal. DS arrived a bit later bt I'm not sure if it was due to the sweep (I also had reflexology the following day to chivvy things along!)

Gobbledigook Tue 12-Apr-05 09:13:15

I'm not sure anything really works and baby will come when he/she is ready.

I though sex was the answer as 4 hours later I was in labour with ds2!

Didn't work with ds3 though and had about 3 or 4 sweeps in the week before his birth so not really sure if they did anything or whether he would have come when he did anyway!

With ds1 I had a sweep that was not uncomfortable at all but with ds3 they were all horrible really and gave me some really bad cramps/contractions that didn't progress to labour and just left me feeling like sh*t. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now