Talk

Advanced search

Advice on back pain - 15 weeks pregnant

(11 Posts)
SpecialOffer Tue 10-Feb-09 16:30:59

Well I have ds 19months, and am 15 weeks pregnant. My back is going, it is so painful and jars if I move suddenly. It is becoming uncomfortable to sit/sleep.

Now my dh says go to the dr, but I think they will just say rest (ha with a 19month old!) as they can't give me anything....

Anyone have any advice, or is it just a case of getting through it and doing as little as possible. I have to go to work for the rest of the week so am slightly concerned it might feel worse sat at a desk all day??

EldonAve Tue 10-Feb-09 16:33:51

go to the doc
get physio referral

SpecialOffer Tue 10-Feb-09 16:40:44

Will they refer me easily? My drs are always a bit of a battle..

mum2b09 Tue 10-Feb-09 16:41:05

at 20 weeks i had really really bad back ache.. so bad tht if i sat in a chair without support i felt like i was going to cry with the pain.. it eased off after a couple of weeks as i dont like taking any tablets or anyhting really i just took a paracetamol when the pain got unbareable.. you are probably better seeing a doctor.. but there isnt a huge deal they can do besides give you pain releief but my pain did go xxxx

EldonAve Tue 10-Feb-09 16:55:39

they should refer you
otherwise call your midwife and ask him/her

SpecialOffer Tue 10-Feb-09 18:27:24

Thanks - I actually have a midwife appt next Monday and really like her, might leave it until then. I never knew they would refer me to a physio....

mum2b09 - I hope mine goes as well, I am carrying cushions with me everywhere I go..

christiana Tue 10-Feb-09 19:05:39

Message withdrawn

AliandHerScallywag Tue 10-Feb-09 19:19:04

I would second the osteopath. At the same point as you when I was pg I had sharp pains at the base of my spine especially when I straightened up. It was a strain that is quite common in pg as the joints in your pelvis start to loosen up. 2 trips to the osteopath and it was gone.

mogwai Tue 10-Feb-09 20:09:23

I'm going to an osteopath on thursday this week.

In the meantime I bought a TENS machine from boots (£40). It is totally marvellous. I have been waking up at about 4.30am with backache for ages now. I can now put the machine on and get back to sleep.

Worth every penny!!

SpecialOffer Wed 11-Feb-09 09:39:37

Thanks for the tips, an osteopath - can I get referred by the doctor or is that something I do privately?

Might look into the TENS machine, as with my ds can't see this ever going completly!!

AliandHerScallywag Thu 12-Feb-09 17:41:17

SpecialOffer I think osteopaths tend to be private, but I am not certain.

You can also hire TENS machines over the internet - just google it. It might work out cheaper if you think you only need it for a few weeks. Hope your back pain sorts itself out. I do remember just how painful it was, and I felt like a numpty for having "back pain" when not heavily pregnant. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now