Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had an amnio after their 20-week scan?

(28 Posts)
LeninGrad Sat 07-Feb-09 22:29:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flightattendant12 Sat 07-Feb-09 22:32:40

I don't know sweetheart but bumping for you.
Fwiw I have heard of much higher odds turning out to be Ok x

LeninGrad Sat 07-Feb-09 22:58:52

Fimbo Sat 07-Feb-09 23:02:29

I had mine at 14 weeks, similar odds as you (eventually put down to the fact I was 35 and dh 34). Went to hell and back, had the amnio which frankly was not the best experience in the world, especially when the clerical staff had forgotten to transfer my appointment from the hand written diary to the computer diary so no-one knew I was coming and I had to wait about 5 hours until everyone else had their amnios.

Fimbo Sat 07-Feb-09 23:03:45

I know someone who refused all tests and the baby didn't have Downs.

Perhaps Thomcat could help you?

Northernlurker Sat 07-Feb-09 23:08:11

You can have a cardiac scan before 20 weeks. I had one at about 17-18 weeks with dd3 because dd2 has a congenital heart defect. (no problems with dd3 and dd2 is perfectly healthy) An absence of heart problems wouldn't mean definately no Downs syndrome but it would provide you with some reassurance about your baby's likely state of health.

hellymelly Sat 07-Feb-09 23:11:23

I felt like this when I was pregnant but my lovely consultant was very clear,do not have an amnio if you would not abort the baby as the risk of a miscarriage are too high.I also would not have terminated the pregancy but thought it might be good to be prepared,but after a chat with him I chose not to have an amnio and I was happy with that choice.no way did I want to risk losing my baby just to find out a bit more about it in advance.

brettgirl2 Sun 08-Feb-09 09:03:47

I think it depends though on the effect it is going to have on you. If not knowing is really going to drive you round the bend then IMO it would be worth having an amnio. Personally I would need to know one way or another if I was told I was high risk.

LeninGrad Sun 08-Feb-09 09:23:27

shabster Sun 08-Feb-09 09:24:09

I was almost 41 when my DS4 was born. Even though I knew his due date to the date (I knew the day I had conceived him because the day after I had a cone biopsy and was told not to have intercourse for 6 weeks) the hospital insisted on putting me almost 4 weeks behind the date I knew because the scan showed him to be small.

I got a 1/180 chance of Downs. They did the amnio for me when THEY said I was 16 weeks but I KNEW I was 20 weeks. I just needed to know but was very unsure what I would do when I got the results.

It was an uncomfortable experience and my DS kicked me for the first time while they were doing it....thats when I knew my dates were right.

He is now a healthy, intelligent, wonderful 11 year old. Who was born 20 days late!! It is the most scary feeling. I think it is a very personal choice. I also understand your need to 'prepare yourself'

shabster Sun 08-Feb-09 09:25:51

Lenin - your last post has made me think so much.....I agree with your thoughts.

regroo Sun 08-Feb-09 10:43:49

Hi all,

I'm due to have an amnio tomorrow, i'm 38 and have eventually conceived after lots of fertility treatment. I had the triple test on monday and it came back 1/60 for DS. We were and still are really shocked and upset. I feel i need to opt fot the amnio as we are still not 100% sure what we will do if the outcome shows the baby has DS. I never thought i'd be in this position and only wish i'd given more thought to having the test in the first place. Our midwife gave us the national statistics of 1/100 miscarriage but quoted our local hospitals at 1/200. Even though i've been very reassured by alot of stories on this site i feel we need to know as i'm 17 weeks today and feel like it would be hell not knowing for the rest of the pregnancy. Any advice?

shabster Sun 08-Feb-09 10:49:38

I knew that I would not terminate if my DS4 had been found to have DS - in fact the night I came home from my amnio I contacted the DS association and spoke to a fantastic man who had a little boy with DS. I explained my feelings and thoughts about the amnio and he was so reassuring. Told me to let him now as soon as I got the results and we could move forward from there. I am just the kind of person who wants to know - then I get going and get as much information as possible. As I said before though it is a very personal decision and one that we cannot say what we would do until we are faced with the 'problem'

regroo Sun 08-Feb-09 11:22:03

Thats good advice, i too have always said i could never terminate a pregnancy but presently my husband and to be fair me to a certain extent are unsure. I surpose its the fear of the unknown which i can appreciate comes with bringing up any child but its not what i saw for us.

shabster Sun 08-Feb-09 11:28:55

I have the greatest respect for anyone raising a child with Downs - but the man I spoke to said 'I didnt envisage having this life, this child who other people saw as not 'normal.' It has been the greatest thing to ever happen to my family. It has taught us compassion, understanding and how to have fun every day. We have re-discovered our strength and our sense of humour.'

I really admired his words and I knew that I could not terminate but I doubted my 'coping' skills. That sounds very shallow but it was just the emotions I was feeling at the time.

The main thing for me was that after 4 years of trying we were blessed with twin boys - very sadly one of the boys passed away at 7 months of age due to the heart problems he was born with. Then our third son was knocked down and killed when he was 7. So, for me, termination could not happen. I did feel that 'Ce sera sera, whatever will be will be.'

All those thoughts did not stop me crying daily whilst waiting for my amnio results.

regroo Sun 08-Feb-09 11:38:55

I totally appreciate where you are coming from. We too sruggled for along time to have a baby (11 months chlomid, 2 failed IVF, 1 abondned IUI) eventually conceiving by IUI. I too lost a brother in traggic circumstances and my sister has been recentley diaognoised with breast cancer. I have for most of my working life worked with people with disabilities inc LD and this is why i am a little shocked at my thoughts of a possible termination. I thought i could face anything and am normally the strong one. i know people woth DS can live full and happy lives and deserve a cahnce like any of us but as said i just never thought we would be in the position to play god with someones life.

Poppet45 Sun 08-Feb-09 11:43:28

Ooooh Shabster, I've got tears in my eyes. You poor, poor thing. I lost my mum in a road accident when I was a teenager, but to lose a little one, after losing another son too.
I can't imagine what you've gone through.

Mummyfor3 Sun 08-Feb-09 11:46:33

Lenin, sorry you have to go through this worrying time.

Remember, a risk of 1/68 for Down's equally means your chances of having a healthy baby are 67/68, so really the chances are stacked in your favour.

As I just posted elsewhere, I have had amnio done @ 16 weeks and it was an absolute doddle and I am so glad I did it. What helped me make up my mind (already knowing that if there was anything wrong with the baby, I'd rather know beforehand) was thinking about how I would feel if I did misscary: could I accept that a lot of pregnancies do miscarry even without intervention or would I always blame myself for having had the amnio?
At 20 weeks, doing an amnio is technically quite easy (lots of water) and baby and placenta are well developed and really quite tough smile.

Good luck to you and your baby, whatever you decide.

shabster Sun 08-Feb-09 13:47:17

Poppet - thanks for your kind words....many years have passed and we, as a family, are getting 'there' - wherever the hell 'there' is smile

Mummy - that was a really positive post...you turned the debate around - I love positive people.

themoon66 Sun 08-Feb-09 13:53:07

I had an amnio at 22 weeks (suspected spina bifida) The test was fine and not painful. This was 23 years ago, so I should think the technique has improved a lot since then.

shabster Sun 08-Feb-09 13:54:43

No its not painful at all - just a bit odd!!

sarah293 Sun 08-Feb-09 14:04:05

Message withdrawn

Mummyfor3 Sun 08-Feb-09 15:31:59

OP, Riven made a very good point there (as she usually does wink): nothing can be prepare you for having a baby, any baby, no matter how "normal" or not. Also, as fas as ante-natal diagnostic tests go, consider that there is no test that will guarantee you a healthy baby. Amniocentesis allows for some of babiy's cells to be cultured and their chromosomes looked at, nothing less (it is amazing), but also nothing more. So, chromosomal abnormalities can be picked up (Down's getting the most press), but lots of other things cannot.
And disasters at birth are obviously another thing entirely sad.
BTW, I had tests done (CVS x2, amnio x1) due to my rather geriatric age and the fact that I carry a gene abnormality which increased my risk of having a baby that had no chance of survival to 1:4. So, feelling v v blessed and grateful that this did not happen, but equally relieved to live in an age where I had the option to find out before hand.

LeninGrad Sun 08-Feb-09 16:05:01

hellymelly Sun 08-Feb-09 21:48:12

Leningrad,glad if my posting was helpful-my consultant was/is very very experienced and well respected ,I have seen him mentioned in books on older motherhood (mr.silverstone at UCH)And his advice to me was so clear and so concise that it absolutely made up my mind.I had a 1/5000 result from the blood tests with my first dd, at 40,but a 1/160 chance for my second ,at 42,and the difference worried me,but I have always felt that downs is not the worst thing that could happen to a baby.Motherhood has nothing to do with perfection,and mothering a baby,making a happy life for someone,is as possible for a baby with Downs as for any other.my daughters do not have downs,and the thought of it did frighten me,but not enough for me to risk the loss of my baby,downs or no.wishing you and your baby all the bestx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now