Talk

Advanced search

Glucose Tolerance Test

(7 Posts)
heartmoonshadow Thu 05-Feb-09 08:42:16

Hi,

I will have to have a GTT as there are many factors such as mom had diabetes, I am overweight - BMI of 35 so therefore a higher risk, I have PCOS normally and a proven problem with insulin intolerance 6 months prior to pregnancy. But my concern is the blood that they take. I am highly needle phobic and I can't bear the thought of 3 blood tests in a day let alone them leaving a venflon in to take it like a tap. Can anyone shed light on the test they do - is it just like the pin prick test my mom did or is it full blown blood analysis? I know this is petty but I need to know.

Nemoandthefishes Thu 05-Feb-09 08:44:23

IT is proper blood tests in the arm. I have had it done three times and will do again even though every time results have come back clear. Not a venflon its seperate needles to take the blood

Mimsy2000 Thu 05-Feb-09 08:47:20

yeah - is the full blown arm test. the people that do are pretty good though b.c it seems like that is all they do. good luck - it will be fine and better to deal with it now and get it all over with.

heartmoonshadow Thu 05-Feb-09 08:48:17

OMG I am now absolutely petrified, I am often sick or faint with needles do you think this means I will have to keep redoing the test until I can keep the stuff down?

Mimsy2000 Thu 05-Feb-09 08:51:12

oh for me they didn't leave anything on [venflon]. they took a fasting test [ie when i first arrived] and then a test after taking a glucose drink. just 2.

llareggub Thu 05-Feb-09 08:55:01

I'm pretty sure they took blood but via a syringe, not like a tap. I have all the same risk factors as you and have got gestational diabetes, but I didn't with my first pregnancy. So you never know!

yawningmonster Thu 05-Feb-09 08:55:12

I have just had mine last Tuesday (am in NZ so don't know if it is different here) I had the drink and then an hour later they took the blood, just one needle but 3 viles off the same needle if that makes sense. Went to what we call a med lab rather than a dr surgery as this is what they do all day, every day and they were fantastic, no pain, no bruising etc. Was fine though the drink is vile,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now