Talk

Advanced search

Who saw "Life before Birth" last night???

(64 Posts)
dropinthe Fri 08-Apr-05 12:03:56

I thought it was fantastic and made me extremely broody but OMG what an advert if ever I saw one for the Pro Life lobby. At twelve weeks that baby was something else-at 26,(last point of abortion??Couldnt remember)- well I'm speechless. These bloody laws reagarding abortion were made when we didnt really know what was going on inside a womans body-now with 4D imaging we do and its murder-plain and simple!!
What do you think?

Dahlia Fri 08-Apr-05 12:15:59

I thought it was a fab programme, it just blew me away. There were so many facts that I didn't know, and all the 4D pictures were amazing, I wish I could have another baby just to have a scan like that! I've always thought the abortion limit was too high, but yeah, that certainly re-inforces the arguments to bring it down.

Bonkerz Fri 08-Apr-05 12:24:48

I agree with you but i also think that there is a time when abortion is a necessary evil ie due to a rape. I also think its a hard thing to judge when abortion is rightetc. Personally (and before i get shot down in flames im not judging or being snooty about it, its just my opinion) If someone gets pregnant because they didnt use contraception or forgot to take a pill etc then i dont think abortion should be as accessable for them. I also think that a limit of 12 weeks should be imposed upon people in these circumstances, 12 weeks is long enough to realise you have not had a period or could be pregnant (i know SOMETIMES it isnt but on the whole it is!)
I know i have very idealistic views on abortion and the whole debate could go on forever and i can see both sides of the argument but as a woman who has lost 2 babies via miscarriage at 7 and 11 weeks i find it hard to understand why some women choose to abort babies just because its not what they planned. I had to have a D&C after my last mc and that was hard enough knowing they were taking away my dead baby BUT to go through that knowing they were taking away a healthy baby is awful.
My son was not planned and at the time of conception i had no money and lived in a tiny flat and was not with the father BUT it was a mistake I made when i got pregnant and was not the babies fault and i have lived up to my responsibilities. If you are prepared to have sex you have to realise there is ALWAYS a chance you could get pregnant!!

Sorry am now ranting!

lilsmum Fri 08-Apr-05 12:37:28

well i had a abortion @ 12 wks, i knew from 4 wks i was pregnant but it took that long to sort out the appt etc, in my circumstances the reason i had to do what i did (and i was on the pill!) is because i was in a very abusive relationship (was actually put in hospital a couple of times) and although it "killed" me to do it, it was the best for the baby imho and best for me too as i managed to escape the ex finally.

there is not a day goes by i dont feel utterly disgusted by myself for what i have done, especially seeing things like the programme last night and i tortured myself after the abortion looking at anti abortion websites...i ended up having a nervous breakdown, but i came through (kind of) and having my dd 3 yrs later brought it all back, and looking at her gorgeous little face and seeing how much joy she has brought to my life makes it so much more heartbreaking to come to terms with what i did

it isnt always selfish cold hearted people who have abortions, and isnt always so cut and dried, i dont need reminding of what i did, believe me when i say i will never forget

stonedhusbandsmoll Fri 08-Apr-05 12:54:20

Thats awful and if I sounded like I was calling an abortion at 12 weeks murder,then I'm sorry and I wasnt. It is such a grey area and it must have been really hard lilsmum to watch that last night. You felt you were doing the right thing and I think you probably did-you werent strong enough to cope with a child if you werent strong enough to get out of an abusive relationship?

Toothache Fri 08-Apr-05 13:00:37

Dropinthe - I was totally mesmerised by the programme and the poem! I'd love a copy of it. Sounded so sweet and moving.

Agree the age of legal abortion should be lowered. Not getting into an argument about abortions as I've previously made my feelings very clear! But its 24 wks at the moment.... not right at all IMO.

Roobedoo Fri 08-Apr-05 13:08:37

I thought it was great. I missed a bit though and tuned in to hear them say something about the risks associated with previously carrying a boy - does anyone recall what they were saying?

mogwai Fri 08-Apr-05 13:09:31

Oh Lils mum, I don't think you should feel so bad about the choice you made at all. I'd have done the same and so would many others. I'm so sorry that last night's programme made you feel bad, if only it could remind you of just your daughter rather than your first pregnancy.

I agree we shouldn't argue about abortion, sure it's been done loads of times before, I'm just hoping you come to terms with your choice rather than describing it as "what I did" as though you did a bad thing.

My mother is a funny old stick, she once told me, in a fit of anger "I wish I'd had an abortion!". Well, good thing for me that she didn't, but to be honest, she probably should have had one, cos her life might have been a bit easier without being a single mum at 17. I can say that with all honesty, but obviously I'm glad she didn't.

Please don't feel bad.

Sallie Fri 08-Apr-05 13:10:27

The imaging was great but really didn't like the way it was presented with the poem etc. My dh, a radiologist didn't enjoy it either - he said that quite a lot of what they said was inaccurate. Personally I would have preferred a more scientific, less sentimental approach but its a personal thing. Perhaps it should have also focussed a bit more on miscarriage and when things go wrong. Having said that, it was only one programme and covering what I would like to see covered would take more than one programme! I thought that the labour/birth bit was the best.

mogwai Fri 08-Apr-05 13:11:00

they said that a woman had a greater chance of miscarriage if she had previously carried a boy. Neither my husband nor I could work out why, he thought something to do with antibodies??

Isn't it maddening when they don't explain what they mean??

dropinthe Fri 08-Apr-05 13:11:35

I was crying my eyes out most of it-I really wish I could have another one without it taking such a toll on my family and I...

mogwai Fri 08-Apr-05 13:12:07

Actually I was wearing a hoodie and I pulled the hood over my eyes when I saw the baby's head crowning!!

dropinthe Fri 08-Apr-05 13:12:48

So yes I agree, a more scientific approach would have helped me!

Lonelymum Fri 08-Apr-05 13:13:10

I saw up to about 26 weeks but then had to go to bed. can anyone tell me what happened next?!

Well, you know what I mean, I supoose the baby was born, but any details.

Sallie Fri 08-Apr-05 13:13:11

...its funny - I was left with the feeling that I wouldn't want a 3D/4D scan because it would demystify the whole process for me. Am I alone? DH has offered to arrange one for me but I am not in the slightest tempted!

dropinthe Fri 08-Apr-05 13:13:15

Baby...Mogwai!!!

mogwai Fri 08-Apr-05 13:13:41

glad I'm not the only one who cried! I found the Roger McGough poetry moving at some points (I love poetry and I love RMcG's voice) and my husband had to bring me a whole kitchen roll!!

mogwai Fri 08-Apr-05 13:15:22

No, I wouldn't want a 3d or 4d scan either. More to do with seeing my bubs when it's underdeveloped and looking a bit strange though, if I'm honest. And yes, it would be odd to already know what it's face looks like.

decmum Fri 08-Apr-05 13:15:52

Agree with Sallie on the scientific approach. That programme will have hurt a great many people and I switched it over to protect myself from any future issues I might face.

mogwai Fri 08-Apr-05 13:17:43

sallie I don't know what happened...pulled my hood up and when I took it down, the lady had a nice baby, but there was some sort of raspberry jam on her nightie, so she must have had some swiss roll or some toast as well (husband said it was blood, I don't believe him)

mogwai Fri 08-Apr-05 13:18:39

sorry, last message meant for lonelymum

Lonelymum Fri 08-Apr-05 13:20:15

How did they show the birth from the internal point of view? Did some poor woman have an endoscope up her as she was trying to push the baby down?

dropinthe Fri 08-Apr-05 13:20:21

LOL!

ChaCha Fri 08-Apr-05 13:22:37

I had to lie down after the first 20 minutes. Was all too much!

Lonelymum Fri 08-Apr-05 13:23:16

Well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now