Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

nappy bin - how to work?

(22 Posts)
vic891 Wed 06-Apr-05 16:44:53

a friend has given me her old one - nicely washed - but without instructions. it's the yellow tommee tippee one. i've bought a liner cartridge thingy today, which i've loaded ok, but not sure how to make it twist and seal - i tried twisting it but it just cut the liner.

yoyo Wed 06-Apr-05 17:01:03

You twist it using the ring not the lid. You put the cartridge in, pull out some of the sack, put the ring in the sack you've pulled out, knot the sack and then it's ready for use. Don't know if this is clear enough an explanation - it's quite difficult to explain it!

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 06-Apr-05 17:02:11

Yeah open the lid put in your nappy and twist the thing you've put your nappy in.

vic891 Wed 06-Apr-05 17:03:05

thanks yoyo - but once it's in, how do i seal it after putting in each nappy?

yoyo Wed 06-Apr-05 17:04:57

Push the nappy down through the "teeth" then turn the yellow ring that is inside the plastic. It just twists the sack but doesn't actually seal it.

Bagpuss30 Wed 06-Apr-05 17:05:11

They don't seal, they just stay twisted up like a string of sausages.

vic891 Wed 06-Apr-05 17:07:17

thx ladies - i was twisting the lid rather than the yellow lid

vic891 Wed 06-Apr-05 17:07:39

(yellow ring, i mean)

Tigerlion Wed 20-Apr-05 18:42:15

Are they worth getting? I have spoken to a few people who say that they are a gimmick and I may as well put the nappies in a plastic bag and directly into the bin. Should I get one?

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 18:47:42

I love mine TBH

but if changing downstairs will put nappies in bin outside immediately

only use it if changing upstairs

I always keep a changing mat, wipes, nappies on each floor of the house cos am too darn lazy to run upstairs every time a bottom needs a change and its far easier to just kneel on the floor

donnie Wed 20-Apr-05 18:48:46

make sure tyou soak it in bleached water every few weeks as they stink.....

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 18:49:25

have never done that and have never had a stinky problem either

have had mine for over 4 years

NomDePlume Wed 20-Apr-05 18:52:35

Ours never stayed all 'sausaged' up when we emptied the blasted thing, it just used to unravel into a big stinky bag, like a giant nappy sack. A total waste of money.

flea Wed 20-Apr-05 18:53:35

ooh : can I tell my nappy bin story.. When pregannt with 2nd child realised I had lost some parts to the Nappy Bin ( the little white thingummys that do the twisting) - I wrote to ro tomee tipee to see where I could buy new ones and they sent me back a totally new top half of the nappy wrapper.. free of charge.. hey were really nice!

Kelly1978 Wed 20-Apr-05 18:54:52

So does anyoen know what is the turning bit in the top of the lid is for? It doesn't seem to do anything.

donnie Wed 20-Apr-05 18:58:04

the bit in the top is for cutting the actual cellophane wrapper when the bin is full, it's a bit tricky to operate at first as I recall.

Whizzz Wed 20-Apr-05 18:58:57

I think Nappy Bins were one of the most popular things on the "Things I wish I hadn't bought" List.
We got one & hardly ever used it !

Kelly1978 Wed 20-Apr-05 18:59:53

Oooh and poor dp has been gettign the scissors out every time thanks for that.

biglips Wed 20-Apr-05 19:03:10

After you put nappy in, twist it 4 times and every 4th nappies, spray Febreze inside the forth nappy bag before you twist it, and once bin is full, spray Febreze on bottom of nappy wrapper bin and wash in now and again with soapy water. Best to buy triple nappies wrappers as its £9.99 but if you buy one it cost summat like £3.70

biglips Wed 20-Apr-05 19:04:20

oh and dont throw the blue ring away as you need that for your next new nappy wrapper

LGJ Wed 20-Apr-05 19:08:57

Pick the F88ing thing up and put it in the bin, sorry, one thing I would never ever advise anyone to buy.

Kelly1978 Wed 20-Apr-05 19:33:22

I really like mine, it much better than filling and smelling the kitchen bin up. But then, I live in a third floor flat, so I can't exactly put them outside and I have twins - so loads of nappies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now