Talk

Advanced search

Would you get the Eurostar to Amsterdam at 33/34 weeks pregnant?

(18 Posts)
misselliemae Thu 29-Jan-09 18:36:06

My DP has to go to a conference in amsterdam for the weekend when i will be 33/34 weeks pregnant. I would love to go with him as my sister lives there and i am desperate to visit her. I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and feel okay (tired with backache)but not sure how i will feel in a month as it is my first baby. So, would be very grateful for your thoughts as to whether i would be mad to go or whether you reckon it would be no problem at all. Thanks very much, really appreciate your views.

Gemzooks Thu 29-Jan-09 19:41:39

I would go, but take it slowly. I went to Italy at 34 weeks and it was fine. Just leave loads of time to get the train etc, do not lift any luggage etc.

thisisyesterday Thu 29-Jan-09 19:44:14

i would

Wheelybug Thu 29-Jan-09 19:47:08

I am 34 weeks tomorrow (with second) and haven't been feeling great the last couple of weeks but I would still say go ! Its going to be your last chance to pop off and do such things in the same way so enjoy it whilst you can. As its your sister presumably, if you were tired you could just veg out at her place.

OatcakeCravings Thu 29-Jan-09 22:26:54

All depends how you are - I wouldn't have - but then I struggled to get into town on the bus at 34 weeks!

iwantitnow Fri 30-Jan-09 08:53:11

Make sure you go first class - more leg room. Take your notes just in case. I would go for a weekend. Just don't plan any sight seeing.

cmotdibbler Fri 30-Jan-09 08:55:02

Having felt fine and merrily trundled round the UK for work at 34 weeks, and then had a prem birth at 35 weeks with totally no warning, I wouldn't.

geordieminx Fri 30-Jan-09 08:56:18

I went to Barcelona at 33 weeks and had a fab time - go, enjoy yourself, take it easy!

dinkystinky Fri 30-Jan-09 10:53:35

As you're having a really straightforward pregnancy, I'd go for a weekend - go first class (extra leg room), take your notes and check your insurance covers you and take it really easy. You may need a GP letter to confirm to Eurostar you're safe to travel - check with them first. And as your sister is based out there, I assume if anything did happen you'd be well covered with a local language speaker if anything did happen while you're away.

SE19er Fri 30-Jan-09 10:56:25

yes

ghosty Fri 30-Jan-09 10:58:40

I would.
If you are worried about something happening to you or the pregnancy while away don't. Holland has a fantastic medical system and midwives etc and nearly EVERYONE speaks English.

mrsgboring Fri 30-Jan-09 10:58:56

Yeah, I think I'd go, given you've got a homelike environment to go to at the other end. As the others have said go first class which isn't that much dearer. Unless they've upgraded the line since I did it (which was a few years ago now - eek), the Brussels-Amsterdam portion is very long even on Thalys. Have you done the journey this way before so you know what you're up against?

heverhoney1 Fri 30-Jan-09 13:59:18

I say GO GO GO - personally I would but I would also pack my E111 just in case. English is probably spoken better in amsterdam than anywhere else!! So if any problems you would be just as well looked after. Hope you have a fab time xxx

YesSirICanBoogie Fri 30-Jan-09 16:38:34

I'd go but make sure you have good medical insurance cover and take your notes. I went to London from Glasgow at 34 weeks and ended up in hospital overnight with really high blood pressure. I didn't have my notes with me and was advised then to take notes everywhere...even the supermarket. have a great time!

Sunflower100 Fri 30-Jan-09 16:49:04

One thing to bear in mind is that after bambino comes it will be SO much harder to do these things!!

snickersnack Fri 30-Jan-09 16:52:36

Yes, I'd go. I did, in fact, for work at about 34 weeks. It is, however, a long long way. Much longer than it should be. I naively assumed it was an hour or so from Brussels, fool that I am.

Batitha Sat 31-Jan-09 09:19:03

I got the Eurostar to Brussels a couple of weeks ago when I was 33.5 weeks and had a great time. I decided to get some extra travel insurance because my annual policy wouldn't have covered me or my husband if I had needed treatment - try Ravenhall Insurance, they were very good.

Gemzooks Sat 31-Jan-09 12:31:35

It's 2.5 hours from Brussels to Amsterdam. I live in Amsterdam and make the trip quite often. I have to say the train is delayed sometimes, but not that severely. Be very careful of your belongings on that train as there are a lot of pickpockets..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now