Talk

Advanced search

9 weeks pg and nephew has chicken pox

(7 Posts)

I am currently 9 weeks pg and have been informed this morning that my nephew has chicken pox. I was with him on saturday and his blisters came out yesterday, I have ooked on a few websites and it says that they are most infectious 2 days before before the spots appear so i'm right around that time when i saw him.
I had chicken pox when i was a little girl adn was immunised agaist rubella when i was at school.
I have called my docs but have to call back at 12.30 as they are in the middle of surgery.
I know the odds are me and baby will be fine but I am gettin a bit worried now. Also neither of my children have not had the dreaded lurgey lol the are 9 and 11 months so am also wondering if they have the virus will it affect me then.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

lljkk Wed 28-Jan-09 11:15:32

If you had cp as a child, you're almost certainly still immune. No, that's not a 100% guarantee, but Put another way: you're about as likely to get hit by a bus on the way your next midwife appointment, as you are likely to get cp again. And it can't do you or the fetus any harm unless you actually come down with it again.

I know it's natural to worry, wait for your doctor to get back to you. Some would say that it would be good for your DC to get it out of the way now, so that there's no risk of them bringing cp into the house just when your next baby is still new.

Good luck.

PlumBumMum Wed 28-Jan-09 11:19:27

If you had chicken pox your fine as my dd had them when I was about 9 wks pregnant aswell
I went to docs they said I was fine but took a blood sample any way to put my mind at rest and it came back fine

kitkatqueen Wed 28-Jan-09 11:20:53

Hiya - I have been in this situation and there is only one way to be sure that u are covered. Your gp needs to organise a blood test to check your t cell count against chicken pox.

Hopefully you will have had a severe enough dose as a child to have a good t cell count. Sometimes people can get cp twice if the 1st dose wasn't bad enough. Your gp will ask if you had it and basically say that u will be fine - but unless u are tested there is no guarantee.

Tell him u are not sure and want to be tested - it will put your mind at rest.

Don't forget - if u have had enough of the cp virus to avoid it again you are at risk from shingles!!

good luck

MrsOCD Wed 28-Jan-09 11:52:46

Hi, I have never had the pox and was in close contact with a friend's child when I was 32 weeks pg. I had a blood test straight away and when they found I had no immunity, they gave me a vaccine. It involved a painful injection in my backside but luckily no side effects. Best to get the blood test to double check but as you had it as a child you should be fine. Best of luck.

Sunflower100 Wed 28-Jan-09 12:17:49

I was in the same situation and they checked my immunity with a blood test. Try not to worry because if you have had it before you are extremely extremely unlikely to get it again.

DoraJo Thu 29-Jan-09 13:10:29

Hi, I was in the same situation too (at 9 weeks) and my baby was fine. As others have said, you're unlikely to get it again, please try not to worry - difficult I know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now